Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fedos are spongy creatures about the size of a cat that smell horrible and are sometimes used for waste disposal on ships? More here!

Author Topic: Methods of Currency - The Caldari  (Read 2982 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Methods of Currency - The Caldari
« on: 27 Mar 2013, 15:26 »

Part one of a four part series designed to build on what little information on EVE currency there is. Unlike Vikarion, I do not have all four parts already written, so you will all have to wait for my inspiration and motivation to catch up with my ambition.

Methods of Currency -The Caldari

Money is the bane and savior of countless trillions in New Eden. Money is, of course, one of the representations of wealth. Wealth (or lack thereof) can determine a person's respect, opportunities, personality, and even their very survival. It has since the dawn of human history been one of the primary definitions of social strata. Yet despite its ubiquitous nature, there seems to be a different type of currency everywhere one travels.

Within the Caldari State, there are eight primary forms of currency, each corresponding to the Big Eight themselves. While they all have different flavored names, they are often simply called "scrip". Corporate scrip is represented in purely electronic form, though scrip cards are issued to allow access to this electronic currency.

Scrip is not valid for use on products or in areas using a competing scrip. If it is, the 'price' is usually much higher for those using the foreign scrip. Scrip can be exchanged between megacorporations under certain authorized circumstances, but in nearly all of those circumstances it is exchanged at a severe loss. This is not regulated by exchange rates or economic differences between the megacorporate economies. It is a purely artificial set of fees and exchange regulations set by both issuing megacorporations to prevent workers from taking scrip out or in of their carefully managed insular economies. For this reason, wealth is usually kept within the boundaries of the original megacorporation. A typical worker could lose more than a third of their life savings in scrip by trying to exchange it to a different megacorporation.

Scrip cards generally all appear the same, and function both as identification and payroll cards. Each card is printed with the information of the employee. Photo, name, age, employment, occupation, legal status, etc. Everything an officer of the law might need to know is visible on this card, with much more available on a simple scan of it through the computer. Impregnated with nanocircuits designed to counter tampering and provide a constant uplink to the primary banks, these cards are smarter than most personal computing devices available to the common worker. They are also extremely sensitive to tampering, releasing distress signals to the banks and local law enforcement should they be damaged in any way.

Employees of the Big Eight are often subject to far more surveillance through these cards than by any other means. Each card measures various aspects of the card's use and location and report back to the primary banking entities of the Eight. The card's usage patterns are meticulously monitored, even down to the hand pressure applied to the card when in use. An employee gripping his card tightly sends the signal of possibly illicit use or anxiety, and could trigger an investigation. An employee barely holding on to it or swiping it very quickly, could signal the user is freely spending and could be an opportune target for 'variable usage fees'.

The megacorporate banks can freeze or place restrictions on these scrip cards at a moment's notice in any number of ways. Banks can allow or restrict card-to-card transfers of scrip, or restrict purchase of certain categories of products.  They could deny double purchases of the same item within a time period, or make on the spot decisions about qualification for high value items... whether or not the worker can actually afford the item. An employee who has a recently recorded request to transfer to a different location could find his qualification for a new vehicle denied. At the same time, an annoying employee who clearly cannot afford a new vehicle could have his purchase allowed and slapped with an automatic high interest loan in order to trap the employee into being unable to pay... and subject to punishment.

On the same note, employees can be swiftly and instantly rewarded for recognized merits through these cards. Time limited 'purchase rewards' can offer lowered prices on goods for that employee alone. Instant bonus payouts for commendable work performed on the job appear minutes after a supervisor making his report. Nearly any benefit or punishment to a citizen that can be thought up can be applied through these cards, though the primary banks always have the final say in how things go down.

Scrip cards in the State are quite literally the physical representation of a worker's legal status and citizenship. They are treasured, feared, and protected. Without these cards in working order and nearby, a citizen is powerless. They cannot be immediately verified as a law abiding citizen (and since they have no card with them, they are not law abiding). They obviously cannot easily access their scrip, restricting access to even the most basic of necessities... such as access to a public restroom, or food, or transportation. Scrip cards are in many cases the most valuable and important item in possession.

Visibly, they appear in various different styles, all controlled tightly by the issuing banks. Color coding is often a method of fast identification, and is typically controlled by color shifting phosphors embedded in the card's plastic itself. A white card with a red Ishukone triple-crescent might represent a standard citizen of Ishukone. However when said citizen has defaulted on a loan or not shown up for work, that card might turn completely red to signal checkpoint authorities of the illegal status. A high ranking Kaalakiota executive might have a black card with the twin red chevrons one day, and wake up to find his card has turned white with red chevrons after fellow executives demanded and successfully caused his ouster.  A shimmering blue card might signal extrajudicial status, allowing the holder to clear most security checkpoints without having to stop.

Currency in the Caldari State is intimately linked with a citizen's legitimacy and freedoms. The strict and complete control the megacorps have over their employees' wealth is a perfect example of how rigidly enforced Caldari society is. In the blink of an eye, a citizen can lose everything they ever worked for. Yet for most citizens, this is taken as a simple fact of life. The Caldari aren't big on personal freedoms, and they tend to trust in the higher authorities to provide these services.

On that note, the State does. The megacorporate banks are some of the most efficiently run institutions throughout the entire State. They have to be, because the man holding the leash must be reliable...

... else they risk letting the dogs run free and wild.

[spoiler=Alternate "Microchip" version]Within the Caldari State, there are eight primary forms of currency, each corresponding to the Big Eight themselves. While they all have different flavored names, they are often simply called "scrip". Corporate scrip is represented in purely electronic form, though implanted scrip nanochips are issued to all citizens to allow constant access to this electronic currency.

Scrip is not valid for use on products or in areas using a competing scrip. If it is, the 'price' is usually much higher for those using the foreign scrip. Scrip can be exchanged between megacorporations under certain authorized circumstances, but in nearly all of those circumstances it is exchanged at a severe loss. This is not regulated by exchange rates or economic differences between the megacorporate economies. It is a purely artificial set of fees and exchange regulations set by both issuing megacorporations to prevent workers from taking scrip out or in of their carefully managed insular economies. For this reason, wealth is usually kept within the boundaries of the original megacorporation. A typical worker could lose more than a third of their life savings in scrip by trying to exchange it to a different megacorporation.

Though many megacorporations issue physical card to carry as well, the nanochips generally all function  the same, both as identification and payroll access points. Each chip contains the information of the employee. Name, race, age, employment, occupation, legal status, etc. Everything an officer of the law might need to know is on this chip, updated constantly, with much more information available on a simple wave of his wand. Impregnated nanothreads running through the area surrounding the implant are designed to counter tampering and the whole device maintains a constant uplink to the primary banks. These nanochip implants are smarter than most personal computing devices available to the common worker. They are also extremely sensitive to tampering, releasing distress signals to the banks and local law enforcement should they be damaged or relocated in any way.

Usage of the chips typically involves a simple wave of the hand over a scanning device, much like we swipe our credit cards today. Employees of the Big Eight are often subject to far more surveillance through these chips than by any other means. Each chip measures various aspects of the citizen and, report back to the primary banking entities of the Eight. The citizen is meticulously monitored, even down to the heartrate of the citizen when making purchases. An employee showing certain vital signs when spending his scrip sends the signal of possibly illicit use or anxiety, and could trigger an investigation. An employee showing the opposite could signal the user is gratuitously spending and could be an opportune target for 'variable usage fees'.

The megacorporate banks can freeze or place restrictions on scrip at a moment's notice in any number of ways. Banks can allow or restrict transfers of scrip between people, or restrict purchase of certain categories of products.  They could deny double purchases of the same item within a time period, or make on the spot decisions about qualification for high value items... whether or not the worker can actually afford the item. An employee who has a recently recorded request to transfer to a different location could find his qualification for a new vehicle denied. At the same time, an annoying employee who clearly cannot afford a new vehicle could have his purchase allowed and slapped with an automatic high interest loan in order to trap the employee into being unable to pay... and subject to punishment.

On the same note, employees can be swiftly and instantly rewarded for recognized merits through scrip. Time limited 'purchase rewards' can offer lowered prices on goods for that employee alone. Instant bonus payouts for commendable work performed on the job appear minutes after a supervisor making his report. Nearly any benefit or punishment to a citizen that can be thought up can be applied through scrip, though the primary banks always have the final say in how things go down.

Scrip-chips  in the State are quite literally the implanted  representation of a worker's legal status and citizenship. Without these implants in working order, a citizen is powerless. They cannot even be verified as a citizen at all. They obviously cannot easily access their scrip, restricting access to even the most basic of necessities... such as access to a public restroom, or food, or transportation.

Currency in the Caldari State is intimately linked with a citizen's legitimacy and freedoms. The strict and complete control the megacorps have over their employees' wealth is a perfect example of how rigidly enforced Caldari society is. In the blink of an eye, a citizen can lose everything they ever worked for. Yet for most citizens, this is taken as a simple fact of life. The Caldari aren't big on personal freedoms, and they tend to trust in the higher authorities to provide these services.

On that note, the State does. The megacorporate banks are some of the most efficiently run institutions throughout the entire State. They have to be, because the man holding the leash must be reliable...

... else they risk letting the dogs run free and wild.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2013, 16:37 by Katrina Oniseki »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
Re: Methods of Currency - The Caldari
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2013, 16:53 »

On suggestion from my friend, I made a version that uses an implanted microchip instead of a handheld card.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2013, 19:10 »

I am sorry, but it didn't seem suitably SciFi to me.  It felt like it was written in the 1980a about the 2000s.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2013, 19:42 »

I am sorry, but it didn't seem suitably SciFi to me.  It felt like it was written in the 1980a about the 2000s.

That's fine! Not every one I write can be a hit. :)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2013, 23:49 »

To clarify a bit more, challenging to initially respond from a tablet.

I think you adequately captured the level of control the State and its corporate institutions have, but I think missed on the available technologies for tracking accounts/identities.

What you described is a modern high-end mobile device with a non-touch OLED skin, maybe that is what you were going for.  Part of the problem is that we are rapidly living in a Sci-Fi future.

In a setting where consciousnesses can be uploaded to high-end mainframes and replanted in bodies the account tied to that consciousness is more important than any object.  This calls into question what verification techniques exist and how to match accounts and identities.

But even if you assume for common-folk without direct access to high-end biotech, is their DNA partner sufficient to act in the role?  Maybe the device is part of two part verification for access the account?

I think answering what the Fed has first will better enable an understanding of what the Caldari have - I don't think they would be horribly dissimilar on the personnel level.  It is the access to goods and freedom of exchange that really creates the difference.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2013, 00:05 »

To clarify a bit more, challenging to initially respond from a tablet.

I think you adequately captured the level of control the State and its corporate institutions have, but I think missed on the available technologies for tracking accounts/identities.

What you described is a modern high-end mobile device with a non-touch OLED skin, maybe that is what you were going for.  Part of the problem is that we are rapidly living in a Sci-Fi future.

In a setting where consciousnesses can be uploaded to high-end mainframes and replanted in bodies the account tied to that consciousness is more important than any object.  This calls into question what verification techniques exist and how to match accounts and identities.

But even if you assume for common-folk without direct access to high-end biotech, is their DNA partner sufficient to act in the role?  Maybe the device is part of two part verification for access the account?

I think answering what the Fed has first will better enable an understanding of what the Caldari have - I don't think they would be horribly dissimilar on the personnel level.  It is the access to goods and freedom of exchange that really creates the difference.

My other friend expressed a lot of the basic concerns you have, in that I really only described what already exists today. She was the one who suggested I scrap the whole credit card idea completely, and just go with an implanted microchip.

Keep in mind, my fics are always available as threads to start a discussion on the topics they suggest. If you have ideas for how Caldari currency might work, please don't hesitate to write them out here and show us! I'm not opposed to competing ideas at all.

Aside from that, should I take your last line as encouragement to keep going?

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2013, 00:17 »

I think there'd likely be a range of means by which one's megacorporate bank account is accessed, depending on the circumstances. The card and microchip are both plausible options. There may even be cases where there is no need for either.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2013, 00:21 »

I think an implanted microchip isn't necessary if the DNA of the individual can be trusted, the ability to fake either requiring a certain degree of resources.

I am still mulling over the challenges that the setting creates and the availability of tech.  How cheap is a basic DNA scan in New Eden?  Do ID cards really matter? Etc.  Future banking, account access, etc is complicated!  :yar:

Aside from that, should I take your last line as encouragement to keep going?

I think you should, but I would recommend shifting a little bit from talking about the "big economies" to talking about the shadow economies.  So instead of discussing Scrip and ISK, talk about how someone would buy an illegal item or simply trade illegally or in an environment where the accounts and big banks don't exist.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2013, 00:28 »

I think you should, but I would recommend shifting a little bit from talking about the "big economies" to talking about the shadow economies.  So instead of discussing Scrip and ISK, talk about how someone would buy an illegal item or simply trade illegally or in an environment where the accounts and big banks don't exist.

So, you want me to get into talking about the underworld? Black markets? Illicit trade?

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2013, 01:43 »

I do think that even DNA is spoofable in the setting. Therefore, information would probably be the token of choice. The form (and complexity) the information takes might be well dependant on status. At a higher level, this might be a combination of various methods, but for lower-level employees, just a physical token and a personal identification code.

For an executive, it might be contained within a communications device (unlockable by any reliable method, such as biometric identification combined with secret information). Such a device might automatically communicate with other objects and even have a neural interface or monitor, so (assuming transportation isn't provided by the corporation as a service), the executive's vehicle unlocks when he's (or she's) entering. When closing in to a roadblock or a checkpoint, the corpsec pings the vehicle, which responds with a security handshake followed by prioritized access. And so on. Some if this might well be via implanted tokens, as well - but also worn (clothes). For the higher-up posts there might be more privacy (at least becaused required privacy - if it is too easy to remotely identify the individual, assass-, um, sudden unexpected contract terminations become too easy). Higher level executives might have devices with standard interfaces, making it possible to even own ISK - though currency exchange is still highly restricted, and even if the individual owns ISK (or even multiple), it is expected that the employee uses scrip for his daily needs, as the Caldari have high pressure to fit in. The top executives and other "interstellar personnel" have historically formed their own society and therefore do not conform to these rules, though at least lip service to CPD have brought them closer to the "local executive" class.

Middle management might have some features of the above, but probably with less user-friendliness. Whereas for an executive it would be necessary to log in once per day (ID check and matching biometrics) and the facility security would track the person for the rest of the day (confirming his identity, assuming he doesn't drop off the grid), for middle management it might be necessary to repeat the logins (though, on the other hand, this also allows greater personal freedoms - if the tracking system fails to follow a highly valuable corporate employee, this might automatically call in corpsec patrols). The devices include considerable tracking and behavioral analysis, though.

The workers have to resort to physical tokens, be it as a module on a comms device (except if the device is implanted, which is well possible in the setting) or a dedicated credit device, such as a card - preferably something visible and concrete, to let the employee feel his wealth. Therefore, simply being certain of the employee's identity is not enough. These devices are probably highly nonstandard, as the corporations have no incentive at all to make it easy to exchange scrip currencies, a fact lamented by the few smaller corporations existing in the tight confines of independence or making business with the employees of different corporate blocks.

Finally, scrip certificates. This is the closest that scrip ever gets to physical money. The corporations do not want scrip to exist in physical form, but for some situations - such as gifts and some bonuses - it is preferable to have a physical token. These are, however, very rare, and even in this form, the currency is backed by the accounts truly existing only in the State's (or corporation's) fluid router network. As such, such a certificate device has limitations on how it must be used, such as validity in a specific location, at a specific date, or by specific people, and therefore, certificates do not offer greater, but actually less freedom than the normal credit devices. Usually the criteria for use do not change, but as all transactions are verified in the network, it is possible to change them at any time. For the lower social strata, ownership of such a device is seen as a mark of relatively high status, and as such, the device may be kept even after being used. Some are combined in trophies, such as sport prizes. (Though in professional sports, such as higher levels of Mind Clash, prize money is transferred directly between accounts and the trophies and medals are just what they are.)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:58 »

I really like this with cards.
I have used such concept for my idea of another strict society (not eve-related, and more close future). The most interesting part and argument for these cards against DNA/microchip and other 'hidden' forms is visual representation.
Of course this card could be bound to a owners DNA or microchip, but having actual object that owner can see status of, and even show to others, is really great.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2013, 07:57 »

So, you want me to get into talking about the underworld? Black markets? Illicit trade?

I think exploring the underworld and black markets and how they conduct trade in a setting where physical currency (cash) does not exist in large quantities would be interesting.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2013, 13:33 »

Keep in mind that I am not an economist IRL, nor am I even a bank clerk. In fact, most of my jobs I only got to run the register once or twice. I'm better in other applications, being faster and not very fragile.

So, when you get me to talking about money and how things work, my imagination and limited understanding only goes so far. I may not even be able to finish this series, much less delve into how a black market might work without cash.

Just saying, this is a fairly difficult topic for me, because it deals with things I don't naturally understand.