Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The New Eden Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases  (Read 8420 times)

Anslol

Quick question Lyn, what is your academic background if I may ask (and steal for my own nefarious purposes should it be relevant)?

Lyn Farel

Me or Lyn ?

Me = various stuff.

Lyn = various stuff I guess.

Etienne Saissore

• Young urban professional
  • Clonejack
  • hadn't thought of that
    • Extraction control

This is extremely exciting.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!

This thread is a good thread.

I would like more of this thread.

Also, we will hopefully be in contact soon :)
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Always willing to help RP development.
Good work.

Anslol

Disease Name: Puppet Syndrome
Catalog #: 12033-PB.2
Index Case Date: YC103.11.04
Investigator:  Kasara Du Vous, MD
Site: University of Kaal, School of Bacteriology and Mycology (Offugen III)

***Please note that this report is meant to be a high level summary for general education purposes. Redacted items and laboratory results/measures available upon request bending met criteria mentioned within this document***

Abstract: Newly discovered fungus (Endophiocordyceps doseducium) in southern hemisphere of planet previously studied due to regenerative and reproductive anomalies detected during initial laboratory testing. Fungus noted to have sporadic and rare spore release cycles despite large amounts growing on dirt in site canyon. Limited water and potential sources food led to further analysis of fungus.

Unpredictable spore cycle led to unforeseen release of highly virulent spores. Initial infection thought to cause constrictive pericarditis due to symptoms being a seemingly perfect match to the diagnosis. Incorrect diagnosis and treatment did not call for further internal analysis which would have revealed a slow infection of fascia throughout the body, causing victim to act out before neural tissue became infected, causing death and various growths post-mortem.

HISTORY:  Fungus exhibiting virulent and/or parasitic behavior is not a new discovery. However, the stealth and speed with which this fungus infects and kills has not yet been seen elsewhere in New Eden. Initial discovery and report led to multiple investigations across the Cluster in an attempt to discover and catalog further fungal colonies in order to protect civilian life. At the writing of this report, only Sector 4 of Contemplav Canyon on Offugen III plays home to the fungus so far.

Index Event Summary:  Fungus observation activities interrupted YC103.10.31 03:13 UST as fungi became active. Estimated 63% colony activation in simultaneous spore release. Possible activation due to start of minor excavation work around colony site to study growth and feeding behavior patterns. Standard field filtration masks distributed to team during retreat to an area outside of spore range. Spore settled 17 minutes after dispersal. Team re-enters site and begins investigation of spores and ‘bloomed’ fungi. Exposed internal structure of fungi reveals gill-like pockets containing few spores and dark red, viscous material. Smell likened to ‘rotten cinnamon’ despite filtration masks functioning. Spores taken to mobile lab for analysis.

Patient 0 exhibited symptoms 07:13 UST and immediately sought assistance from site medical facility. Symptoms included (1) chest pains, (2) shortness of breath, (3) copper smelling/tasting breath, (4) extreme fatigue, and (5) feelings of ‘wanting to black out, there’s too much pressure.’ All symptoms seemingly indicative of constrictive pericarditis inferred to be caused by fungal spores. Inference strengthened by patient having no previous inflammatory or autoimmune diseases. Renal failure ruled impossible post-lab analysis of patient. Phasonicardiographic analysis confirmed growth of fibrous pericardium over heart. Growth did not exhibit further anomalies potentially indicative of fungal laced growth. Patient underwent MPER (Molecular Particle Excision and Removal) to noninvasively eliminate growth. Procedure deemed successful. Patient release 11:21 UST same day.

Patient found same day at 13:13 UST speaking incoherently while walking through a narrow crevice leading to the fungal site. All attempts at communication unsuccessful. Only word recognized during speech was ‘love,’ followed by continued unintelligible speech. Site personnel attempted to restrain patient before being assaulted by patient. Animalistic yet randomized movements and increased strength noted during patient defending self. Oral orifice, tear ducts, nasal cavities, and external acoustic meatus/canal seemed to excrete above average levels of secretions. All secretions (mucus, tears, saliva, etc) mixed with viscous red material.

Site personnel ordered to stay back and observe patient from afar. Minimal self-defense measures brought with the expedition site led to limited options had patient attacked. Standard personal rail gun brought by Dr. [REDACTED] obtained and brought with personnel to observe and attempt communication with patient. Patient speech continued, increasing in volume as he approached the fungal colony. Speech became screeching of unintelligible sounds as patient began showing signs of distress. Patient flails arms and thrashed head while continuing to ‘speak.’ Patient proceeded to double over in pain as he vomited out more red matter and thick, clear globs of unknown material. Patient then observed to [REDACTED], at which point Patient fell backwards onto the colony after [REDACTED].

University of Kaal and planetary authorities called in by Site at 13:50 UST YC103.11.01. Site personnel ordered to remain indoors and to not approach colony site or cadaver. Investigatory team dispatched by Offugen Peacekeepers with UoK medical field research personnel. Attempts to contact site between initial SOS and landfall unsuccessful. Site seemingly abandoned upon inspection. Central mobile dormitory noted in a state of disarray. Biological matter found at various spots consistent with that found on.in Patient 0 cadaver. Careful inspection of the fungal site revealed seven bodies close together. Oral orifices of all cadavers were open in what seemed to be a smile. Remaining orifices clogged with red material, of which now grew fibrous follicles. Similar growth noted over entire body of each cadaver. Growth could be seen progressing across bodies and ground with naked eye, indicating aggressive reproduction and assimilation. Republic Military contacted after team member noted [REDACTED], leading team to immediately retreat from the colony as [REDACTED]. Post-mortem anomaly analysis available in full report [here].

AUTOPSY AND ANALYSIS AVAILABLE TO APPROVED PERSONNEL ONLY. ENTER IDENT PACKAGE [HERE].
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2013, 09:08 by Anslol »

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

Anslo's been reading the the SCP files again, I see. :D
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Anslol

Disease Name: Semide Cynosivadit (Capsuleer Cynosis)
Catalog #: 5296201-VC.42
Index Case Date: YC78.12.08
Investigator:  Rellard Montague, MD, PhD, MSc
Site: University of Caille, Department of Genetic Diseases

***Please note that this report is meant to be a high level summary for general education purposes. Redacted items and laboratory results/measures available upon request bending met criteria mentioned within this document***

Abstract: Cynosis inflicted subjects appeared during the early onset of space travel across New Eden. All Empire medical centers and archives have extremely early and sometimes grave cases of cynosis before it was classified as a disease. Over the years, advances in medicine, field manipulation, and streamlined capsule pilot interface systems were thought to have eliminated most cases of cynosis on board military and capsuleer vessels. This was quickly proven wrong.

Genetically inherited mutations of cynosis present within some capsuleers have caused enhanced symptoms to surface in pilots. Implant technology and neural ship interfaces have compounded the symptoms beyond what a baseliner would suffer simply being present on the ship. Multiple short-term and long-term studies have provided treatments for these pilots to the point that their disease is a non-factor in their day-to-day life. However, a complete cure has yet to be discovered.

HISTORY:  First case of capsuleer  cynosis occurred YC38. Subject was a new capsuleer, 32 y/o Civire male, for a small Wiyrkomi logistics subsidy corporation in Black Rise. Intersystem logistics tasks were completed without symptoms. Subject complained of nausea and dizziness on return from a system-to-system run. Supervisor informed subject to visit medical wing of company HQ for further analysis.

Staff diagnostic of capsuleer implants and pilot provide no indication of implant malfunction or rejection. Test for cynosis susceptibility deemed unnecessary as subject lacked a history of cynosis. Staff release subject with requisition form to obtain anti-nauseate injection systems for his capsule. Subject returned to runs the following day.

During a longer logistics run, subject’s Crane-class transport ceased operations and drifted next to an star gate in Ichoriya. Crew attempted to contact capsuleer failed. A general SOS was transmitted and transport was boarded by State Customs officers and medical crew. While the transport was deemed fully operational and not damaged, analysis of the pilot confirmed that subject had passed out and was unresponsive. Ship doctor declared a Medical emergency and instructed crew to begin emergency decant process.

Subject body removed from pod and confirmed dead. Cause determined to be excess pressure buildup of pod ectoplasm and regurgitation leading to micro-ruptures along esophagus. Analysis of capsule logs confirmed neural burn occurred and subject infomorph was transferred to cloning facility. However, infomorph pattern had arrived destabilized due to capsule technology at the time not accounting for internal threats to its occupant. External threats and hazards to hull integrity dominated most processing power. Subject memory fragmented, behavioral patterns altered, and electrochemical processes impacted. While still able to enter and fly a capsuleer vessel, subject was deemed mentally unstable and damaged upon further testing.

Subject’s corporation signed into an agreement with Kaalakiota after Wiyrkomi threatened the small corporation with action and sanctions due to negligence to care for human assets. Agreenment involved allowing Wiyrkomi Medical Corps personnel to study subject and determine cause of mental degradation. Corporation agreed and became part of Kaalakiota. Testing commenced one-day later.

TESTING AND ANALYSIS RESULTS AVAILABLE TO APPROVED PERSONNEL ONLY.Approval restrictions modified as per NEIH Research Procedure C2.71A-a. Supervisor or Medical Officer/Project Officer permission required. Kaalakiota restrictions removed.

As per the results, the genetic anomaly was confirmed as a mutated form of cynosis with delayed symptom emergence. Anomaly pinpointed to a specific cranial region and believed to be the source of said mutation. This was later proved wrong when testing in the Amarr Empire in YC81 obtained test results leading medical staff to believe mutation source originated from medulla oblongata. It would take other inconsistent results before medical professionals and academics theorized that the mutation was random or dependent on specific genetic make-up and conditions. Research studies began between the Amarr and Caldari to observe multiple capsuleers for signs of cynosis and analyze their genetic make-up to obtain a possible pattern.

To date, no pattern has emerged despite cooperation from Gallente and Minmatar medical centers and research laboratories. A full database of analysis results can be found [here].

Anslol

So much for a new disease a day, way to fail Anslol.

Self-demeaning commentary aside, if you all have more ideas, feel free to PM or post here and I'll see what I can see. I know a few already sent me some cool ones. So if you wanna submit something, SUBMIT.

Also, been toying with the idea of a website/cool looking database if this thing grows. More on that later.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Not Entirely Legit. It just popped into my head when I was talking to Jek about the new SoE ships.

SYNDICATE - Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive [I-RED] Partners with Core Medical Group [C-MED] to Provide Medical Assistance to Victims of Advanced Chronic Cynosis

Bob Keter from The Scope, here!

Early this morning, representatives from Ishuk-Raata and Core Medical Group came out on stage this cold Poitot morning and declared they would be providing medical assistance to victims of Stage 4 Chronic Cynosis, also known as ACC. Ishuk-Raata made a statement that the debilitating effects of cynosis are a blight to all spacefaring societies, and underdeveloped regions suffer at least a thirty percent early mortality rate from the dreaded Jump Sickness, especially where capsuleer activity is common. Core Medical followed that up with the declaration that failures of CONCORD to enforce proper medical coverage for capsuleer crews has created an epidemic of the more advanced and terminal forms of the disease, and that this cannot be allowed to fester unopposed.

Details have been scarce, but rumors abound!

Suggestions that Ishuk-Raata will provide military oversight for a massive operation spanning multiple constellations has been floated, while rumors that the Sisters of EVE will be providing equipment have also been suggested!

Both I-RED and C-MED have declined requests for interview, but as always, The Scope will continue to be on the case!

... and now, back to Juliette with the five-day forecast. Juliette?

EDIT: That would make for a pretty awesome PvP enabled event, where pirates must attempt to destroy a small gang of SoE cloakies while I-RED defends.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2013, 14:04 by Katrina Oniseki »

Anslol

Actually that would be very cool Kat, which brings me to my post purpose.

I want DMID to be used by other RP'ers for whatever the hell they want, but clearly Puppet Syndrome and such are...a bit extreme. Taking inspiration from Lou's bacteria packages for clones and considering possible side effect issues, what other things would you all like to see that might be fun to RP with? Anything and everything is welcome. Don't worry about major details, just give a rough idea and I'll work it out with SCIENCE. Who knows, maybe this could become an actual in-game thing in the future (as in a mechanic).

Anskek

Bumping this too for people who wanna use it. Maybe when I find more fucks to give I'll write out some ideas in full that I had.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this can be considered collab. Anyone can add to it. Anyone can use these diseases in their RP. Anslo doesn't run this shit so it's not like you have to ask permission.

The only thing is this. Make your disease believable, and limited. A zombie ancient drone disease spanning 3 regions is lolwat. An aggressive parasite in a specific planet in a few specific hot springs, much better.

Feel free to evemail me your drafts and I'll make time to offer what medical knowledge I have to make it work.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 13:39 by Anskek »

Anskek

MIGHT be having a contest for this by the way. Stay tuned for more.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing

This is great material, please collect it, if no body ends up wanting to, I'll do it when you think you have a solid chunk, just send me a line. I love stuff like this.

I can't add anything here, this is so out of my sphere :p
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Anskek

Do what?...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5