Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Naqam (A Sansha aligned capsuleer corporation) manufactured the Naqam Heavy Bioindustries Ultra Happy Chip™? It was player created - see advertisements on the Eve Wiki!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The New Eden Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases  (Read 8421 times)

Anslol

I don't know what that means.

I think "IGN" meant "ingame name", which is Ze'ev Sinraali. :p

uh....thanks...hah...hah... :oops:

Anslol

With the recent onset of the H7N9 in Eastern China, I ponder at the possibility of what a flu-like strain could do to the populace of New Eden and possibly eggers. Nature always has a way of changing and trying to make something new to kill us, so why not in Eve as well? I will be developing this new virus for a bit. If anyone can help, let me know.

Additionally, I am working on a medical journal of sorts to submit to the community as a potential bit of content that could be used in stories and RP. All contained diseases, sickness, infections, etc will be as scientifically grounded as possible while allowing for some hand waving to make them relevant to the Eve World. Again, I call on anyone with a background relevant to this to assist if you can.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!

I approve of this product and/or service!

Shin has been involved in various black medical areas for most of her piloting life. I'd love to help out and link this with her RP.

Anslol

If you approve, please help. I'm not a virologist in any way and am just learning the basics of epidemiology and clinical study development and management. Even something like creating a fictional flu virus is proving a challenge.

I'm not doing this IC either, it's OOC hard research. It will be release IC though...somehow.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!

From bitter experience, I can tell you that the hardest part about doing any sort of biotech in Eve is getting people to want to be involved. You're working, effectively, on a big RP arc that has absolutely nothing to do with in-game mechanics, so you'll need to give a lot of thought to how you will attract participants. It has to be worth it for the RPers participating.

What are you looking to do, from an OOC perspective?

Anslol

Oh I'm not making an arc at all. It's basically a catalog of diseases and shit that can be used by RPers however they want. Maybe a colony comes down with a case of virulent fever from an old bacteria, or maybe a capsuleer is slowly having his implants digested by an autotrophic parasite. I'm basically making tools and toys and things for people to take and use however they want.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!

Oh! In that case, never mind!  :D

I thought you were working on an RP arc involving some sorts of diseases. My own OOC knowledge of diseases extends pretty much to reading "The Hot Zone" and going "Ewww!"

Anslol

Hah. Yeah I hold enough RP cred to get people to call me on capsuleer dementia ICly if I tried to force this into an Arc.

Nope, just a fun little catalog of tools RPers can use to their hearts content...once I've studied more about bio-engineering and genetic engineering....

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

I dunno if I can help you with plausible, not being a real scientist but more of a science groupie, but regardless, here's a couple blurbs I came up with in a fever dream:

Fedo thrush: The fedo digestive system hosts a wide range of bacteria and fungi as hangers-on. One of the latter, picked up from an unknown world and now spread to some 30% of all fedos, is a variety of yeast that will, given the opportunity, aggressively colonize human mucous membranes. Given that most humans don't regularly eat raw fedo, this is rarely an issue. However, the spores are sometimes spread via traumatic aerosolization, as tends to occur during starship combat, and settle on the mucosa of the eyes, mouth, or sinuses.

Henser's Encephalitis: Named for its discoverer and most prominent victim, Dr. Grutha Henser of the, the LVT-7 flavavirus was uncovered on an ancient Feythabolan colony moon, surviving in a carrier population of feral swine. Symptoms are typical of most viral encephalitis outbreaks, including headache, nausea, fatigue, and confusion, though it progresses rapidly to seizures, extreme fever, coma and death, leading to speculation that it was developed as a bioweapon. This theory was bolstered by writings found at the excavation indicating that the first outbreaks of the disease began after the colony rebuffed early Angel Cartel attempts at extracting concessions.

Implant-vectored meningitis: Though few modern neural interface implants directly impinge on the meninges, their relative proximity and lack of an endemic immune response can allow pathogens an access route. Owing to the protective nature of the oligodynamic effect, this is most common in those implants with non-metallic surfaces. However, some metallotolerant strains have been known to cause incidental infections even via a metallic implant.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Anslol

Disease Name: Osteoimplantitis
Catalog #: 8056-VC.3
Index Case Date: YC2.04.18
Investigator:  Mev’eth Vusaal, MD
Site: University of Caille, Department of Cybernetic Public Policy

***Please note that this report is meant to be a high level summary for general education purposes. Redacted items and laboratory results/measures available upon request bending met criteria mentioned within this document***

Abstract: Initial offering of commercial implants and limited manufacturing material regulation throughout Abune IV Shard Cities led to an outbreak of an unknown illness. Initial infection was asymptomatic  save for stiffness and soreness around implant area until severe symptoms emerged (sporadic seizure, wide spread bacteremia, internal to external bone fracturing, necrosis, rare cases of neural degeneration).

Manufacturer shut down immediately when discovered that neglect of consumer safety led to outbreak. Epidemiological investigation identified direct cause as a new type of bacteria (telisium mycobacterium). Intracellular regiment utilizing prototype adaptive reactionary learning algorithm (ARLA) guided dispersal system targeting infected areas with antibiotic (TEMORVAX) effective.

HISTORY:  No cases of illness noted before Abune IV index epidemic occurred. Bacteria seemingly inherent in ore which implant components were primarily based on. Autotrophic and heterotrophic feeding patterns confirmed through further investigation of Abune IV teliorite mines.

Event Summary:  [REDACTED], HQ Abune IV, believed refined teliorite ore would provide the answer to cheap and mass manufactured implants (neural and non-neural) to those who typically could not afford it due to the seemingly adaptive nature of the material when tested on bone. Abune IV clinical testing and trial authority was known for corruption at the time. Speedy trial completion allowed [REDACTED] mass production and distribution of their implant within four (4) months of trial start (note: clinical trial lasted 1.5 months).

Initial cases of osteoimplantitis occurred seventeen (17) days after first implantation procedure. Patient complained of mild stiffness in neck area where neural augmentation implant had been placed. Poor procedure led to patient symptoms diagnosed as mild implant rejection. Patient prescribed muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory. Patient readmitted to hospital ER three (3) days after release. Patient lost at 03:21 UST YC2.03.13.

NOTE: EXTENDED PATIENT CASES AND MEDICAL RECORDS AVAILABLE AT REQUEST WITH B2 AND ABOVE CLEARANCE OR SENIOR SUPERVISOR OF B2 AND ABBOVE CLEARANCE APPROVAL.

EXAMINATION:  Autopsy of [REDACTED] fatalities noted necrosis and extensive infection of bone marrow. Infection and necrotic material noted seeping through fractures assumed (and later confirmed) caused by the illness in any bone in contact with implant item. Rare cases of infection of nervous system confirmed for patients with implants near or on C1-C5 vertebrae.

NOTE: FULL LAB REPORT AND MEASURES AVAILABLE AT REQUEST WITH B2 AND ABOVE CLEARANCE OR SENIOR SUPERVISOR OF B2 AND ABBOVE CLEARANCE APPROVAL.

DIAGNOSTIC STUDIES AND TREATMENT: See notice by Federal Intelligence Office for further direction in acquiring this information. Data classified as per Federal Home Security Act 51.7. 

EDIT: Can a mod move this to Player Driven Content? Since this is more a catalog for use in RP I THINK it's more content to use versus fiction to read?...I think?...idunnolol
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2013, 11:02 by Anslol »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Insert smartass wormhole/cynosural field puns here.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

<33

NOW.

The rest of you...what do you think?

Lyn Farel

I think that you work for Al Assad.

Anslol

....wat

Lyn Farel

Owait, no chemical ones yet ?

Me likes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5