Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked cruisers are held in place with massive clamps on strategic support sections of the ship, and are disengaged with incendiary explosives? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re: "Space Lesbians"  (Read 3288 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: "Space Lesbians"
« on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:28 »

A thing occurred to me.

Many people that have posted on this thread are of the mindset of HTFU on most things EVE.

Why not this?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Anslol

Re: Re: "Space Lesbians"
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:33 »

A thing occurred to me.

Many people that have posted on this thread are of the mindset of HTFU on most things EVE.

Why not this?

Because HTFU applies to being lolowned and then QQing about your internet spaceship.

The idea of 'space lesbian' is different because that is not an attack on your pixel ship, but your personality. That's not cool, even by Eve HTFU standards.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:44 »

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

Because this. (Also mad props to Ciarente.)

Longer explanation in my own words, lest I be accused of linkspam and blatant fangirling: because biting back and kicking up a fuss is hardening the fuck up. Meekly going to sit down and shut up about something important certainly will not do.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2013, 12:50 by Iwan Terpalen »

Anslol

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:51 »

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

Because this. (Also mad props to Ciarente.)

Longer explanation in my own words, lest I be accused of linkspam and blatant fangirling: because biting back and kicking up a fuss is hardening the fuck up. Meekly going to sit down and shut up about something important certainly will not do.

Cia's blog has words that turn me on.
/subscribed

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2013, 14:03 »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2013, 15:11 »

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

Because HTFU applies to being lolowned and then QQing about your internet spaceship.

The idea of 'space lesbian' is different because that is not an attack on your pixel ship, but your personality. That's not cool, even by Eve HTFU standards.

Well, I have been told to HTFU by members here on different subjects, not involving spaceship QQing.

Anslol

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2013, 15:18 »

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

Well, I have been told to HTFU by members here on different subjects, not involving spaceship QQing.

Did it involve being discriminated against for who you are? If so then they had no right to say HTFU in the first place.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2013, 16:54 »

Quote from: Ciarente
http://ciaooc.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/htfu.html

/signed

Heh! Oh yes. I do so very much agree with this. One of EM's pilots is playing a little personal game where he starts placing bounties on trolls that are offensive in local, and increases them if they whine about it.

Also.

I had my issues with Jade's IC persona, but it always annoyed me when people would insist on drawing attention to the gender of her player. Also, I'd be annoyed if she never comes back because someday I'd like to satisfy my IC curiosity about her origins and reasons for believing what she does.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2013, 18:13 »

I had my issues with Jade's IC persona, but it always annoyed me when people would insist on drawing attention to the gender of her player. Also, I'd be annoyed if she never comes back because someday I'd like to satisfy my IC curiosity about her origins and reasons for believing what she does.

My character wrote a thesis on Jade during her academy days and is IC a huge (secret) fan of the whole Anarchist movement, being largely disillusioned with the State thanks to Heth and her own personal experiences. Sadly, Jade the player no longer seems to actively roleplay, so I never got the chance to play out Katrina's curiosity in Fraction politics.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2013, 03:20 »

Hah, that brings me years back. Lyn visceraly hated Jade for twisting the post human ideal (from her perspective). Leaded to long walls of texts and I don't even know how I got the courage to read and write such things in the past.

However yes, as much as circumstances always put me directly against SF for a lot of years, I was kind of meh to hear all the OOC offensive crap and rumors people liked to call on her or Revan.

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

Did it involve being discriminated against for who you are? If so then they had no right to say HTFU in the first place.

Yes.

You see the hypocrisy.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:11 »

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

Yes.

You see the hypocrisy.

I don't see hypocrisy in this. Failing to live up to ones ideals isn't hypocrisy: Hypocrisy is claiming to hold to certain ideals and not doing so.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:24 »

Isn't it what it is ? Claiming a lot of ideals here and not doing so elsewhere ?

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:36 »

That depends on the exact ideals that are claimed and why exactly they aren't put into practice elsewhere.

For example an alcoholic, who is telling everyone that drinking (too much) alcohol is a really bad thing and that one shouldn't do so, isn't a hypocrite just because he fails to live up to that himself, if he really thinks that one should not drink alcohol in excess and maybe feels bad afterwards when he failed. He just succumbs to his illness.

The politician that is publicly speaking out against drugs and did vote for the anti-drug legislation, while going off on pot, speed and who knows what and who thinks nothing about that is a hypocrite, because he's claiming to uphold certain ideal that he isn't upholding.

There's a difference between claiming to have ideals and not having them on one side and claiming to have ideals, having them and sometimes (or even oftentimes) failing to live up to them. The former is hypocrisy, the latter is not. It's just being human, which means being fallible.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2013, 07:48 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2013, 06:33 »

Yes.

You see the hypocrisy.

If you're going to make claims like this, it's only polite to provide examples. Because I've yet to see anyone discriminating against you on here.

Flinging shit at you for the way your approach to discussions and debates comes across to others, yes.

Discriminating, no.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2013, 07:14 »

A thing occurred to me.

Why not this?

You are the authoritve body on what rights people have?  Is this a general, global revocation of the freedom of speech, or in this specific to people who have a different personality or beliefs than your own?
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2013, 07:31 by Hamish Grayson »
Pages: [1] 2