Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Experiment in Self Moderation  (Read 16545 times)

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
Re: Experiment in Self Moderation
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2013, 15:16 »

As an individual who has participated in roleplay for a considerable number of years in numerous virtual chat environments, I can say that moderation, or the lack thereof, is not the sole reason for the failure of a channel. Providing a positive roleplay environment is a collaborative effort between players in a contained space, and moderation's presence in the equation can either be positive or negative influence, depending on the audience they are trying to reach.

I know many who feel that the presence of moderation creates a negative atmosphere to constructive roleplay, and would welcome this opportunity. While I don't have any personal issues with the Summit staff, I am looking forward to exploring an environment that is a bit less restrictive than what the Summit offers at the moment. Hopefully I can be a constructive participant in Silas' project, and help facilitate a positive rp environment.

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2013, 16:48 »

I would recommend changing Rule 1 to simply "Keep it IC."  This provides sufficient basis to throw out folks like Goons without encouraging a new mobocracy that will exclude people that aren't in their tribal moral group.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 01 Mar 2013, 17:09 »

There's no mobocracy, I'm the only one with any mod stuff, and frankly won't be in channel most of the time.

I could use spiffy names though if anyone has anything.

Alizabeth

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 01 Mar 2013, 17:26 »

I would recommend changing Rule 1 to simply "Keep it IC."  This provides sufficient basis to throw out folks like Goons without encouraging a new mobocracy that will exclude people that aren't in their tribal moral group.

The more you talk about Goons crashing a channel, the more they are going to want to do it. 

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2013, 17:49 »

Wasn't something similar attempted already with Saede's channel The Undercroft?

The Underdepths? Yeah kind of, but at the same time, that channel hasn't gotten nearly as much traffic and was never intended to compete with the summit, just provide an interesting kind of cyberpunky backroom area to chat in. Feel free to pull it into this though, our moderation style of tUD is basically what Silas is proposing.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar 2013, 17:50 »

Samira, there is a difference between a heated argument, and, for example, the incident that happened yesterday after the live event. Heated arguments are fine, and we welcome those. They become not-fine when people stop arguing and just resort to little more than personal attacks and lots of swearing.

If they're IC personal attacks and IC swearing, I don't see the problem. It's RP.

I saw Andreus get muted the other day for 3 hours just for ICly calling someone a bad word. There was no protracted, heated argument disrupting the channel. Just one bad word. Someone made a jibe at him and he responded with an insult in return, and got muted for it. That's just ridiculous IMO, no matter how "bad" the word might have been. As long as it's IC there shouldn't be any action taken IMO unless it's seriously disrupting the channel (in which case it should be just a temporary mute of all parties involved so people can calm down, not a several-day ban).

It's also their channel ICly, so their rules are IC and following the same reasoning, totally legit.

EDIT : of course though, since they also moderate on an OOC basis as well, things tend to get shady.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2013, 18:05 by Lyn Farel »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 01 Mar 2013, 18:01 »

I think the case of IGS before moderation gives no statistically sound basis for 'proving' that a channel can't be a nice environment without moderation.

I agree with Mercy, that moderation can be a positive as well as a negative factor, depending on many other things, as I firmly believe that there are interacting factors that make up how good a channel goes. I think that is also true for RP channels, though of course I do say so merely from experience and have no statistical basis to firmly ground my opinion in.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #22 on: 01 Mar 2013, 18:25 »

Expecting roleplayers to moderate themselves is like trying to mix oil with water. When you put a bunch of entitled egotistical wankers and cunts in one pool of people you get extraordinary levels of asshattery. If there's no one to tell these muppets every once in a while that they should play nice and share the toys it's gonna end up a total shitfest. Been there, seen that, got a swanky quafe shirt.

Of course you are welcome to try and prove me wrong, I however reserve the rights to endless tirades of "I told you so."

Yeah I know, I know... Could have said all this with more eloquence. Didn't. Why?

Inb4 the mods gonna moderate.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 01 Mar 2013, 20:20 »

Expecting roleplayers to moderate themselves is like trying to mix oil with water. When you put a bunch of entitled egotistical wankers and cunts in one pool of people you get extraordinary levels of asshattery. If there's no one to tell these muppets every once in a while that they should play nice and share the toys it's gonna end up a total shitfest. Been there, seen that, got a swanky quafe shirt.

Of course you are welcome to try and prove me wrong, I however reserve the rights to endless tirades of "I told you so."

Yeah I know, I know... Could have said all this with more eloquence. Didn't. Why?

Inb4 the mods gonna moderate.

Vincent, the odds are certainly in your favor. If it works, super fantastic. if it doesn't I tried, and I won't entertain arguments from people about their opinions on how terrible summit mods are ever again

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #24 on: 02 Mar 2013, 07:30 »

I don't see all the fuss.

If you'd like to play with other styles, more power to you.

Summit, ofc, is this way for a reason. We remember the Years of Blood.

I use them all at one point or another. The Summit is the 'front door/diplomacy hall' and as such we'll look to keep the poop off the porch. So what if others don't? You're allowed to enjoy the symphony and the mosh pit.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2013, 07:34 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 02 Mar 2013, 07:37 »

I think that everything needs some moderation. I honestly see this collapsing quickly. People are going to take advantage of the lack of rules.

Best of luck though. Prove me wrong!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 02 Mar 2013, 08:17 »

The funniest part is on the OOC channel.

When something heated starts to get out of control, people start spamming like if they were possessed or something and even a mod yelling to shut the hell up will have a hard time to get heard.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 02 Mar 2013, 09:30 »

So, instead of roleplayers moderating themselves, you suggest that some roleplayers that still are "a bunch of #*%$$$§()" by your words, just a smaller bunch moderate the other "bunch of #*%$$$§()"? o.ô I honestly don't see the logic in this.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 02 Mar 2013, 09:36 »

So, instead of roleplayers moderating themselves, you suggest that some roleplayers that still are "a bunch of #*%$$$§()" by your words, just a smaller bunch moderate the other "bunch of #*%$$$§()"? o.ô I honestly don't see the logic in this.

I believe it's an example of inductive reasoning.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 02 Mar 2013, 09:52 »

Would you be able to make the inductive reasoning you see in it explicit?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6