Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Modded Isis post  (Read 8149 times)

Vikarion

Modded Isis post
« on: 13 Feb 2013, 11:36 »

Ok, a recent post by Isis (here: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=4119.0) was modded for being offensive. I'm not too sure how this violates the rules. Sure, calling a specific person a scrublord or idiot is bad, but we all have been one from time to time, and I don't think Isis was calling anyone in particular an idiot or scrublord. Are we going to remove any reference to the possibility of people being idiots?

I've been an idiot before, when I lost my Caldari Navy Raven to the old lofty scam when I was a newb. And there are definitely people with capitals who use them not entirely intelligently. Is referencing the fact that people can be foolish against the rules now?

Or are we just modding people who are goons because we hate goons?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
Re: Modded Isis post
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:22 »

I agree with Vikarion, Isis didn't actually reference anyone in particular, and the game (any game) is full of idiots in any guise, as well as reasonable people. Saying it is full of idiots doesn't mean anyone in particular that may be reading the post is one of those I refer to, it just means some are. No?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:23 »

In other words, the term was technically an insult directed at pretty much every single EVE player in existence. The targets of insults do not have to be members of the forum (or, in fact, RPers) for it to be a violation of the rules.

With that in mind, I'm not seeing the moderation decision there to tell her to remove it and repost as not being justified.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:26 »

Quote from: Isis
Are some scrublords

I think this is far from referring every single EVE player in existance. It doesn't even reference all the scrublords in EVE.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:34 »

How is this any different than "prepare your anus" meme?

Which is thrown around this forum a lot.

Btw. any meme regarding "Rape" should definetly be NOT endorsed in any way or form, that includes passive endorsement by lack of moderation btw.  :s

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:37 »

How is this any different than "prepare your anus" meme?

Which is thrown around this forum a lot.

Btw. any meme regarding "Rape" should definetly be NOT endorsed in any way or form, that includes passive endorsement by lack of moderation btw.  :s

Anal sex is not inherently rape.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:40 »

It doesn't matter. The term itself is still an insult, and can be applied to nearly every person who plays EVE by its definition alone.

Is it that hard to replace it with "people who play by their own rules"? Just because a term might be acceptable to use elsewhere does not mean it is here.

Jek, in accordance with the policy regarding moderator discretion, chose to offer Isis the option of reposting minus the part of the post that was reported as insulting to other players.

He did not have to do this. He did anyway. This is a mountain being made out of a grain of sand on a piece of paper.

As for your comment, Laerise, there's Katrina's point, and there's the fact that reporting posts that are three weeks old is a waste of your time and ours, especially ones that nobody else had cared to report in that time. At that point if there were something legitimately worthy of our attention it would'be been caught and dealt with already.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2013, 13:10 »

Mind you tone Morwen. As a moderator you are supposed to further the cause of the community, not lord over it.

Yes, I take offense in the meme and I see no reason to be talked down to by anyone in this regard.

Edit:

Also Morwen, if you had bothered to put "Prepare your anus" into that meme search you would have found out very quickly that is, indeed, closely related to "You're gonna get raped". http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/prepare-your-anus

About

“Prepare Your Anus” is an expression often used to caption image macros featuring photographs of intimidating-looking characters. The image macros are meant to illicit a disturbing or creepy reaction, similar to the “You Gonna Get Raped” series.
Origin

One of the earliest known instances of the phrase “prepare your anus” was posted by Team XBox Forums[1] member tenaciousdave as the title of a thread containing a news story speculating that humans will encounter aliens within two decades. The earliest known image macro including the phrase was submitted to the Internet humor site FunnyJunk[3] by user RussianPerson on October 21st, 2009, which featured a screenshot of a CGI chipmunk from the 2007 comedy film Alvin and the Chipmunks (shown below).

Spread

On May 6th, 2010, the Internet news blog UpRoxx[2] published a post featuring several notable examples titled “Prepare Your Anus”, which included a photograph of an Ewok creature from the Star Wars science fiction franchise (shown below). The image macro contained a watermark from the captioning site Meme Generator,[4] but it is unclear when the “Rape Ewok” generator page was created.

Instead of looking into my valid report of an infraction you chose to discard my report without any further thought, which does not speak for your quality or ability as a moderator. Maybe you should take a quiet moment and think about this since it's not the first time you have reacted this way. (Aka. Condescending attitude towards forum members and discarding reports of people who are not part of your "friend circle" without further investiation.)
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2013, 13:18 by Laerise [PIE] »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2013, 13:35 »

My personal opinion of you, or any other member of Backstage is irrelevant. Note some of the things I've moderated are attacking people that, frankly, I don't care about - if my personal opinions of members of the forum (or those of any of the other moderators) were relevant to the job of moderation, I guarantee there would be a much smaller number of posters here.

You have a habit of submitting reports that multiple moderators beside myself don't feel qualify as violations of the rules. That is relevant to the issue at hand.

So is reporting a post that's three weeks old. At that point, we're not going to do anything because if the moderation team had decided something needed to be done, it would've been done between two and three weeks before you reported it.

We're not blind. We do actually see all of the posts in a reasonable timeframe. The thing is, we're not going to act on every report - there's this magical part of the rules called "Moderator Discretion" which pretty clearly states that not all reports will be addressed with moderator action. If one or more of us choose not to act on something, that is our right as moderators.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2013, 14:25 »

I have to agree with all above. I sincerely did not understand why it was moderated when I first read it this afternoon and still do not get it.

You could admit, at least, that mistakes happen from time to time.  :roll:

Edit : I would also like to point out that the mountain being made out of a little grain of sand is a very poor excuse in my book. Why modding it in the first place if it was so unsignificant ?
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2013, 14:28 by Lyn Farel »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2013, 14:26 »

Have to agree with Vikarion. There was really no reason to remove Isis' post. It'd be like removing a post for someone saying, "people are stupid," or, "My boss is an ass," or similar comments. That seems awfully trivial.

Just because a post has one little insult in it, doesn't make it a bad post in need of removal or changing. People aren't that sensitive.

Quote from: Morwen Lagann
This is a mountain being made out of a grain of sand on a piece of paper.

That better explains the modding decision than the complaints, IMO. Just because the moderator might have 'offered the poster a chance to repost without the offending word' doesn't make it right, because the post didn't need to be removed to start with.

Moderators should be there to prevent or stop serious personal attacks or arguments between members, not enforce an uncompromising interpretation of the rules. Censorship of this level does nothing but cause drama, not prevent it.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2013, 14:31 »

Yes.

And if the moderation feels a literal interpretation of the rules is necessary, then the law should be applied to everyone regardless of personal relations, factional allegiances or any other external factors.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2013, 14:40 »

Quote from:  rule 3
Respect other users of Backstage@EVE-Inspiracy.com. Do not make attacks, either in the forums or through Private Messages. Challenging ideas is fine, but do not attack individuals or groups. Racist, ageist, sexist, homophobic (including the use of "gay" as a pejorative) and other slurs are prohibited. Ad hominem attacks are prohibited. Challenging ideas is fine, but do not attack individuals or groups.

Above is a rule that is against namecalling. Now this alone is grounds in my mind to deal with that post.

There is more though:

Quote from:  The FAQ
FAQ - Polite Posting - Our Culture

Culture:
This forum is an OOC place for EVE roleplayers to discuss the game and roleplaying. It is a place to exchange ideas and share information. It is a place for positive, polite debate. It is a place for discussion, not arguments.
Calling people names is not polite. Neither is it positive.

Those are the things I looked at when I decided to mod the post. Now I posted that Isis is welcome to post again without the offending bit.
I'm rather certain Isis could without detracting from the message the post tries to convey.

Personal stories has nothing to do with the issue. Nor has any of my many ingame mistakes, or anyone elses for that matter.
I'm certain we can reference such things without calling those that makes such mistakes various names.

There are no "We" in this. I decided to mod this and I don't care of someones in or out of game affiliations. For me there's one thing: Is this post following the rules and spirit or not?
To ascribe me any other motivation is insulting.

Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2013, 15:11 »

Removing the post made sense to me, I've seen (and made) similar remarks that disparaged a broad and undefined swath of EVE's player base that were moderated. Accept that calling them scrublords (or drooling masses in my case) didn't actually add anything useful to the post and re-write it without that part.
Pages: [1] 2 3