Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That all Blood Raider commanders receive substantial theological training as well? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Snake Oil  (Read 3697 times)

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
Re: Snake Oil
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2013, 09:45 »

I agree with Lyn. You could have simply stated:

"I also have type 1 horiditis."

The explanation on the shots or death and all the rest that the desease requires is already explained in detail in the next paragraph, which could be left just exactly as it is and would give all the needed background on the disease.

Jev North

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:18 »

Quafe is not called "Coca-Cola" for good reasons - the unlikelihood of the Coca-Cola Company surviving thousands of milennia, with a few collapses of civilization throughout.

But future spacepeople, given that they're just ordinary humans except where noted otherwise, might still be unlucky enough to get diabetes; why not call that spade a spade?

Plus, I get the perverse sense that if she would have used a different name, people might have complained about how jarring it is that this "horoditis" is just diabetes with the serial numbers filed off for no good reason.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:55 »

To a degree you are right Jev, it never rains to everybody's liking, as they say here.

As for diabetes remaining a threat more than 20000 years in the future... I find it unlikely. Take a look at the last 500 years of medical advancement and you'll see most diseases were erradicated, and new ones appeared. And this only with medical treatment. Now imagine the limits of a genetic and cybernetic technology so advanced as the one in EVE: we could create/clone an organ of the same person that produces insuline, or the person could have a simple implant that stimulates the creation of it by the body, or whatever.

New diseases appear each time medical science advances, but old ones are slowly left behind in exchange.

Matoko

• Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2013, 12:32 »

This is true, but again; how much would a cure like that cost? Given our hero is not exactly the richest Gallentian out there, maybe he could never just afford it.

Besides, while I agree with the sentiment of "we'd have cured diabetes" in general, I'm with Jev on this. For a longer story, where the disease in question is important, making up some Eve-specific thing would make sense. But because it's a short story, breaking the narrative (especially since it's first person; you wouldn't have to explain "horoditis" to a cop) would impact the flow.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2013, 13:15 »

Just gonna leave this here.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2013, 14:44 »

I'm glad to see this has sparked so much discussion!

I firmly believe that both type 1 and typ2 diabetes would still be an issue in New Eden. Type 2 diabetes results from poor dietary habits, obesity, and other lifestyle factors. All three of those are probably an issue within the Federation more than anywhere else, thanks to their focus on personal liberties and pleasure. Keep in mind Quafe is a VERY popular sugar drink, Karsoth was morbidly obese, and with the proliferation of drones and automation people would be less likely to do hard labor themselves.

Type 1 diabetes is genetic in nature, IIRC. Unless the Federation has been practicing eugenics (or the Terrans before them), it would likely still be around. Since we have no evidence to suggest such an assumption, we should default to thinking it's still around.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2013, 15:35 »

It wasnt in my intention to bring the subject of the plausibility of diabete in New Eden. Maybe, maybe not, and I frankly do not care a lot.

I am not sure how to express it better, it just sounds weird to me here. Kind of out of place. I suppose my feeling is not very rational in the end.

But I don't see at all how it would impact the flow since there would literally be nothing to add.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2013, 16:59 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 [2]