Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: There's this thread on the IGS that is confusing me  (Read 5124 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

It's called "Rooms of Fate" and is reading like a soap opera plot on crack.

Is this supposed to be something that is being widebanded to anyone who cares to check the feed? If so it's IC knowledge and the IGS is the right place for it. Although, in my opinion, if this is true it makes the people in it look very silly.

On the other hand if it's OOC then surely it should be in the fiction section?

I'm asking here because Tomahawk is about & presumably can find out easily enough. Asking on the EVE-O boards just seemed too potentialy bitchy. Or at least I figured it might be taken that way.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: There's this thread on the IGS that is confusing me
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2010, 19:00 »

It's IC, and available to anyone watching IGS.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2010, 21:44 »

the impression I got was it's like a "Big Brother" style "reality show" RP thing.  I didn't look very closely, though.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2010, 04:50 »

the impression I got was it's like a "Big Brother" style "reality show" RP thing.  I didn't look very closely, though.

Yeah, I think that's the intention.

I suspect that it might have been more like the RL Big Brother if they'd waited until Incarna and used that for it rather than doing it on the IGS.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2010, 10:15 »

Well in my opinion it's actual roleplay - rare sight on the IGS.

While it, technically, may be more appropriate in EVE Fiction, I think its much more productive to the RP community to post it on the IGS than posting it there or doing it in little private channels where no outsiders can enjoy it.

It's an awesome read, and dismissing it as "soap opera" or "Big Brother" is, well, subjective.

Instead of jabbering about it, people could either ignore it or see it as the opportunity it is. No wonder most RPers "do it in private" if this is the response they get when they open their RP to public eyes.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2010, 10:21 »

It's an awesome read, and dismissing it as "soap opera" or "Big Brother" is, well, subjective.
That it's an awesome read is also subjective, Darv.  I don't see anyone being "dismissive" of it; everything isn't for everybody.  I watched the first two seasons of Big Brother before it (like all reality shows for me) got stale.  I don't want to read an EVE-RP version of the reality show concept.

Instead of jabbering about it, people could either ignore it or see it as the opportunity it is. No wonder most RPers "do it in private" if this is the response they get when they open their RP to public eyes.
You do understand that this is an OOC forum for RPers to talk about RP.

e: I strongly recommend you take a few minutes and go over the forum's rules and guidelines...

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2010, 10:39 »

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1312928

Yes, RP on the IGS is in such short supply. I wish there were interesting, meaningful discussions somewhere about important topics. <coughs>

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2010, 10:48 »

That it's an awesome read is also subjective, Darv.  I don't see anyone being "dismissive" of it; everything isn't for everybody.  I watched the first two seasons of Big Brother before it (like all reality shows for me) got stale.  I don't want to read an EVE-RP version of the reality show concept.

Perfectly true. I could and should have emphasized the part that was and still is concerning me a little more. "Soap opera plot on crack" e.g. sounds quite dismissive to me - and even if it isn't it still is quite impolite.

Quote from: Havohej
You do understand that this is an OOC forum for RPers to talk about RP.

e: I strongly recommend you take a few minutes and go over the forum's rules and guidelines...

"Talking" and "backbiting" are two different things though. And threads worded like this are quite unlikely to spawn constructive discussion imo.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2010, 10:55 »

What do you have against soap operas?  I love General Hospital... Don't ming "The Young and the Restless" either.  I think "Soap opera on crack" is a perfectly apt description of any reality show out there... including roleplayed ones.

If you find the post offensive, though, please use the Report Post button and explain why in as much detail as possible - there're five different people looking at these reports (so far) and not all of them see things in the same way that I do :)

Twitter

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2010, 11:11 »

What do you have against soap operas?  I love General Hospital... Don't ming "The Young and the Restless" either.  I think "Soap opera on crack" is a perfectly apt description of any reality show out there... including roleplayed ones.

If you find the post offensive, though, please use the Report Post button and explain why in as much detail as possible - there're five different people looking at these reports (so far) and not all of them see things in the same way that I do :)

You don't want to start a discussion about soap operas with me. No, really. ^^

Problem here is the context of what we're talking about, but yeah, I guess I'll just report it in good faith :roll:

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2010, 11:12 »

I don't watch as much as I'd like to anymore.. but if you want, I think a soaps thread down in the Speakeasy could be fun ;)

Twitter

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2010, 11:19 »

I don't watch as much as I'd like to anymore.. but if you want, I think a soaps thread down in the Speakeasy could be fun ;)

Might be interesting - I actually only know german ones, and about 90% of those are terribly cheesy and if you don't watch them for three months you still know whats up if you check in then. With having two grandmothers who never miss any of said cheesy and content-less thingies (and should they, due to extraterrestrial circumstances miss one episode, the reprise of said episode, and the second reprise of that episode, theyll keep each other up to date), I have developed a tiny aversion against that kind of show^^

But seeing that german and austrian productions are much worse than anything else by default, it might be worth watching an english one.

Sorry for the terrible off-topic-ness^^

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2010, 13:41 »

Perfectly true. I could and should have emphasized the part that was and still is concerning me a little more. "Soap opera plot on crack" e.g. sounds quite dismissive to me - and even if it isn't it still is quite impolite.

Well, yes. I would have to admit I am biased and I don't think it's very well written. I do understand that others have a different perception however and if so, fair enough. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

The reason I used the phrase was it does use a lot of soapy plotting and a good portion of the characters involved seem to be out of their collective minds on boosters. So I stand by the description.

However there was a point to asking beyond the aesthetics of the thing.

What this appears to be showing is a whole lot of top secret, burn before reading, insider info on the machinations of Revan's branch of the Sani Sabik. And it's being broadcast to the entire IGS?

Funny way to run a conspiracy to rule the world isn't it? But then again maybe it's all an elaborate charade. That would make some sort of sense.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2010, 14:30 »

In my view, CCP didn't properly design IGS in the first place. They seem to have intended it as the "individual" counterpart to what they intended for CAOD (rather than what CAOD actually became).

But what I think of as traditional forum RP doesn't seem to have a home on the official forum.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2010, 15:41 »

'Melodramatic soap opera' is definitely not my style of RP, and so I can't bring myself to read more than a few paragraphs of it, but to each their own little fantastical corner of the game I suppose.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: [1] 2