Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: There's this thread on the IGS that is confusing me  (Read 5121 times)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: There's this thread on the IGS that is confusing me
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2010, 16:40 »

'Melodramatic soap opera' is definitely not my style of RP, and so I can't bring myself to read more than a few paragraphs of it, but to each their own little fantastical corner of the game I suppose.

^ This is my take on it as well.

However I need to comment on this:

Well, yes. I would have to admit I am biased and I don't think it's very well written. I do understand that others have a different perception however and if so, fair enough. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Actually, from a writing aspect it's not bad at all. It is, as I stated previously, a tad "over-the-top" melodramatic, and perchance a tad bit of purple prose, which I find generally abhorrent due to the number of RP venues I've frequented (in the past) that were inundated with it. However, the writing, from a technical aspect, is not bad. The story is actually pretty good -- assuming you're one of those who has a flair for the dramatic.

I am glad to see that people can flourish with things of that nature.

Furthermore, with that said:

In my view, CCP didn't properly design IGS in the first place. They seem to have intended it as the "individual" counterpart to what they intended for CAOD (rather than what CAOD actually became).

But what I think of as traditional forum RP doesn't seem to have a home on the official forum.

^ This.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2010, 18:30 »

Too bad CCP didn't make it so soap opera bgm would play while reading the thread. :E

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2010, 19:12 »

Come to think of it, this makes a good case for what we DO need in an IC forum here: not more diplomacy, manifestos, and treatises that amount to the same intellectual masturbation we see on the IGS and other places, but a place for open stories, traditional forum RP, etc. etc.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2010, 03:52 »

Come to think of it, this makes a good case for what we DO need in an IC forum here: not more diplomacy, manifestos, and treatises that amount to the same intellectual masturbation we see on the IGS and other places, but a place for open stories, traditional forum RP, etc. etc.

You managed to put words on what have been missing from the IGS for some time now, but I just have not been able to put my finger on it. I would fully support an IC forum here.

Maybe it is due to CCP closing down that forum section (what was it called again?) that was used for RP announcement on a corporate level, that IGS looks like a twisted copy of CAOD with the same smack but with more elegant words.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2010, 07:38 »

I think that this was somewhat their goal with the EVE Fiction forum, but I feel that that also does not account for what the RP community really needs.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2010, 11:23 »

I think that this was somewhat their goal with the EVE Fiction forum, but I feel that that also does not account for what the RP community really needs.

Might I ask why you feel that this is the case?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2010, 13:09 »

Might I ask why you feel that this is the case?

Because many non-roleplayers consider that what a roleplayer wants out of an online forum is a place to locate their "fanfics," as compared to a place to actually roleplay. That's just been my understanding from those I've talked to over various venues over the years.

Many people don't see the difference between writing a little short story and a piece of interactive fiction, which is generally what most forum-based roleplay is. Only people who really have a direct interest in it really understand the difference, since that difference is subtle.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2010, 16:17 »

Because many non-roleplayers consider that what a roleplayer wants out of an online forum is a place to locate their "fanfics," as compared to a place to actually roleplay. That's just been my understanding from those I've talked to over various venues over the years.

Many people don't see the difference between writing a little short story and a piece of interactive fiction, which is generally what most forum-based roleplay is. Only people who really have a direct interest in it really understand the difference, since that difference is subtle.

Hmmm. I think I follow what you are trying to say....

... except I don't really.

The thread that started all this is what I would think of as a fanfic. An interactive collaborative fic, sure, but a piece of fiction nevertheless. I think you are speaking of an approach to roleplaying rather than a the whole thing. I came into this from tabletop games & LARP so stuff like this seems odd to me.

What particularly confuses me in this case is the way it blurs the lines between IC knowledge and OOC knowledge meant to throw light on why the character does what they do.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 [2]