Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Biggest Fan  (Read 5823 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Re: Your Biggest Fan
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2013, 15:24 »

Oh my!

I find myself wondering what a longer piece would be like. If this sort of quality could be sustained over novel length I would be a very happy person indeed.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2013, 16:49 »

Oh my!

I find myself wondering what a longer piece would be like. If this sort of quality could be sustained over novel length I would be a very happy person indeed.

I am not very good at writing longer pieces, as my inspiration is both fleeting and fickle. Proof of this can be seen in my still unfinished 'Cane Colony' fiction.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2013, 23:28 »

If I were you, I'd delete the OP, then submit this for print before anyone gets wise, it's that good.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2013, 23:31 »

Seriously? I'm rather shocked by these raving reviews, honestly. Can someone explain to me in literary terms what makes this one so good? It happened in a burst of inspiration, so I didn't really put a whole lot of planning into it. It just kinda came out.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2013, 23:36 »

Most of the time, those are the best. ;)

As for what makes me like it so much, it's mostly due to two things. First, it's an original story, not the usual pod pilot being so badass and cool that everyone must say "wooow" when they see him/her. And also because, even in such few words, you were able to construct four solid characters, all giving a complex and intertwined view of the same phenomenon, creating a living and breathing picture of what the IGS may mean to those beyond the pod.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2013, 23:44 »

Seriously? I'm rather shocked by these raving reviews, honestly. Can someone explain to me in literary terms what makes this one so good? It happened in a burst of inspiration, so I didn't really put a whole lot of planning into it. It just kinda came out.

Hmm. Hard to put into words. Whenever reading a story, I establish a narrator in my head. If the story is terrible, that narrator sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait, and spits on his bib a lot. When the story strikes a particular tone, that narrator grows more sophisticated, maybe becoming a British gentleman, or someone who attributes specific weight and timbre to certain words. Your story was narrated by the female narrator from the Revelations II trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnL3slAfbuM

Specifically, the last line. It made me feel like the "for man is the destroyer of things" line, delivered in a grim deadpan. This entire story is grim deadpan, and the last line clinches it.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2013, 02:05 »

Yeah, get it on E-ON.

You will get 150 mil for it (if they remember to give it to you.)

A hard copy of the E-ON it is on.

And probably mispell your name.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:36 »

The PF info regarding the IGS' accessibility to the wider public is VERY slim and limited. The vast majority of players, let alone RP'ers, realize that the IGS is available to most other people. Many characters would be more careful in their choice of words, and indeed, perhaps a bit more novel and civilized in their behavior if this was widely known. Therefore, your piece would be a good reminder to them of the IGS' nature.

That's only one reason however, one that depends on character's knowledge of it in an in-game sense. There is another reason.

The piece is very well made, IMHO. It has good pacing, it's believable in it's portrayal of it's characters, and it's informative in a variety of ways. Right now, if *I* had made this, I'd alter the part about Stitcher, if needed. Because, to my knowledge there is only ONE other chronicle that mention a Player faction by name, it name-drops the Curse Alliance, and I'm not sure how much CCP approves of leaving mentions of player's names etc. If this is no problem, send it in as is, otherwise I'd try to work a bit around that.

My communication skills are horrible, but in short, what I'm trying to say is this - this piece is cron-worthy because it's informative in an IC-sense, well paced and structured and it contains believable characters, easily set in the EVE universe. IT also has a slight hint of grimdark in it, fitting the overall feel of the universe.

So yeah, send it in. Worst thing that can happen is, it's rejected. Even if it is, *we* can still enjoy it  ;)

Sepherim

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2013, 09:55 »

The piece is very well made, IMHO. It has good pacing, it's believable in it's portrayal of it's characters, and it's informative in a variety of ways. Right now, if *I* had made this, I'd alter the part about Stitcher, if needed. Because, to my knowledge there is only ONE other chronicle that mention a Player faction by name, it name-drops the Curse Alliance, and I'm not sure how much CCP approves of leaving mentions of player's names etc. If this is no problem, send it in as is, otherwise I'd try to work a bit around that.

As far as three years ago, when I was active completely, CCP didn't introduce player names or corporations in PF even in events where they were present. Take as an example the Speaker of Truths chronicle, when he mentions that their are capsuleers in orbit. PIE was there, the OQ was there, and a few more, so he could perfectly have mentioned who had done it (and, IMO, they should do it, being a single server it makes clearer the impact of players on the world where it is deserved). Player and corporation names only show up in the news feeds, IIRC.

So yes, removing the pilots' names may make it easier to be accepted by CCP.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2013, 13:40 »

2nd that you'd need to remove player names and corps for most EON sorts of material.

The story stays just as lovely regardless.

Regarding "The Summit" and baseliner observance, anyone in the summit would find it pretty easy to record their feed and send it out into the void, unless I suppose Graelyn is restricting this via fancy 'NO RECORDINGZ' tech.   

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2013, 14:38 »

On the Summit: What can be played back can be recorded, assuming that reduced quality is not an issue.

On IGS: Not sure, but I'd think we may have had occasional non-capsuleers (NPC actors?) even posting on the IGS. Of course, they might have all been capsuleers, too.

Sepherim

• Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:43 »

As far as The Summit goes (and any other channel) I'd say they're pretty easy to record. Afterall, we get the logs automatically, and pretty often logs are used in IC debate, so it means that our pilots would have those logs as well.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:47 »

I have very specifically addressed this issue here on the 12th.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:54 »

IGS is broadcast by some media channels, there's a news item about it.

http://community.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=652&tid=4
\o/
Pages: 1 [2]