Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

debris from starship combat near planets sometimes survives re-entry, as when a relay station on Yong III was destroyed by debris after a fierce fight in low orbit on 27.08YC105.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: TAZ Norlonto in YWS0-Z system, Providence.  (Read 8773 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
TAZ Norlonto in YWS0-Z system, Providence.
« on: 03 May 2010, 21:02 »

I must say I'm rather impresssed with the Station/System set up by Star Fraction recently. They way they say they're running the system seems to fit into my initial expectations of what they did when I first heard of them and started getting inspired to do RP in Eve. It feels like they're trying to make something and I wish them success.

The Court system offer that ChipMo has put out there is interesting, although it feels like they're trying to shoe-horn the court from "The Stone Canal"  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/ken-macleod/stone-canal.htm by Ken MacLeod into Eve, and I'm not convinced it's going to work. The reason it did in TSC seemed to me to be that the price of not coming to an arrangement (even if negotiated by a third party judge) was significantly more than the price of not coming to an arrangement in Eve.

In Eve, people complain when not enough people are shooting at them!

So I'm not sure it can work, but I'll be watching the experiment with interest.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: TAZ Norlonto in YWS0-Z system, Providence.
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2010, 22:45 »

Two comments on this -

One, having watched HTA set up our own station some weeks ago, I can prety categorically state that the "egg" SF used to put the Norlonto up was either bought prebuilt or manufactured far in advance of their claiming sovereignty in YWS0. Either possibility gives an interesting insight into strategic use of assets by Star Fraction.

About the courts - the ability of a court to deliver judgements and expect them to be acted on is also directly related to the authority invested into the court system, even within the context of EVE. This is in turn directly related to the respect given to the organization backing the court system. In ye olde days of CVA operation in Providence, the CVA-diplo channel was that court. If you had an issue, you jumped into there and hashed it out. Decisions granted by the court were expected to be followed through on, because there was respect for the authority that backed it (CVA and the allied Holders).

The new Providence, however, is a much more nebulous situation. From what I've heard, it is a mish-mash of assorted NAPs, hostilities, intel channels that allow some sov holders and ban others, and generally rather more chaotic. While it has settled out some since the sov grabbing ended and the political landscape has started to come into form, it still remains to be seen whether people will respect the authority of a court which, unlike CVA's, or even U'K/-A-'s diplo channels, is not backed by a massive, overwhelming force in the region, but merely by claims of fairness in judgement.

Not saying ChipMo's got a bad idea; more that we EVE players, and nulseccers in particular (IMO at least) tend to be a spectacularly distrustful bunch.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mazca

• Clonejack
  • Best Regards
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2010, 01:11 »

SF has been given an earfull about just destroying and never doing anything constructive. This is indeed an interesting time to see the endless pages of Freespace probaganda do or die in space.(although i have no doubt there are numerous ways to RP out of utter failure) :lol: I truely think this is a good RP development, and look forward to see what implications it'll have both IC and OOC.

About the CCCNP it really is an experiment. It wont have anymore authority than what those who choose to involve themselves with it chooses to give it, whitch was the intention all along.

Tomahawk Bliss

• Cut Yo' Face
  • Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2010, 03:26 »

the chipmo thing is unrelated.

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2010, 06:18 »

The deployment of the outpost as I commented on chatsubo was one of the first real tangible achievements the alliance has made in the past 6 years.  I for one congratulate them for it.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2010, 06:38 »

I'll be watching this development with interest.  Almost like the intaki self-run stations.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2010, 08:26 »

while i have doubts that it will work for any longer period of time (hopefully wrong on that thoough  ;)) better to have tried and failed than never have tried at all.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2010, 08:36 »

It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2010, 10:18 »

I was going to criticise them for naming it Norlonto, which I believe is an abbreviation of North London Town.   

But then I remembered Inflatable House...

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2010, 15:45 »

I love it.

Years of IC pressure of "you can't do anything constructive" has convinced them to do something like this. Of course, that's how Merdaneth thinks about it. To have a revolutionary unit tie themselves down to a part of space and start to try and govern (the FreeSpace way) is a small cultural victory to Merdaneth.

It will be very interesting to see the developments, and Merdaneth will be pushing and questioning the process all the way of course.

I consider shifts in the landscape good to generate interesting play. CVA losing Provi is a good opportunity of new kinds of play (and conflicts) to emerge.

Tomahawk Bliss

• Cut Yo' Face
  • Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2010, 17:09 »

Years of IC pressure of "you can't do anything constructive" has convinced them to do something like this.

nope

To have a revolutionary unit tie themselves down to a part of space and start to try and govern

nope

Almost like the intaki self-run stations.

yes
« Last Edit: 04 May 2010, 17:14 by Tomahawk Bliss »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2010, 23:00 »

Toma, would you like to expand on that a little bit?

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2010, 00:41 »

nope

Toma, you cannot argue with Merdaneth on an OOC forum.

As for myself, I honestly don't have a clue if anything affected your decisions OOC, and I don't really care. It really doesn't matter for Merdaneth's vision.

As a player I'm happy with it because it changes the landscape and generates new RP possibilities.

I don't see what purpose your responses of 'nopes' here are trying to achieve. To me it seems you want to deny Toma the character being affected by Merdaneth the character or want to attack Merdaneth's idea that he has scored a cultural victory. I don't really see how you want to achieve by talking to me OOC. Care to explain?

Koronakesh

« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2010, 02:51 »

While I don't think Toma should do it, I'll elaborate a bit for him.

To the first 'nope': If anyone thinks that outside pressure makes us do, well, much of anything, they're wrong. Especially if they think it makes us throw 30+ billion isk into a static asset that was put up mostly on a whim from a small group of SF's membership. Sort of how we do things. Which segues into the next point...

It doesn't hold us down at all, and to claim as much is rather amusing. We're also not governing anything or anyone. We don't own YWS0-Z. We just handle the CONCORD administrative fees (bribes). The presence of the outpost in the system won't affect our campaigning strategy and plans.

Though I think this has a much better place in an IC forum than here, and I hope I've not misconstrued Toma's thoughts.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2010, 03:06 »

[admin]Toma: Flippant, one word replies smack of trolling.  Please stop.Merdaneth: Flippant, one word replies don't warrant assumptions that people are posting ICly on an OOC board.  Please stop.To All: I don't care how you view and treat other forums, this is not a place to extend your IC IGS political squabbling.  Don't.[/admin]

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.
Pages: [1] 2 3