Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Frentix exists in a diluted version called Frenetix?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: CCP are biased against whoever is losing  (Read 10289 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
CCP are biased against whoever is losing
« on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:25 »

I don't think they are, but back in 2009 when the Caldari won all the systems, there were complaints about CCP being biased against Gallente. Now that it's the Gallente controlling everything in 2013, there are complaints it is CCP being biased against Caldari.

A general issue is each of the four factions being portrayed with any empathetic elements at all. An oppressive religion and slavery for the Amarr, inept tribal administration for the Minmatar, social Darwinism and fascism* for the Caldari, and amoral hedonism for the Fed. Look at the latest news article; apparently Gallente love watching videos of wartime atrocities moreso than anyone else.

So, yeah, CCP are biased against everyone, and probably should show why we want to associate with them at all. The whole 'good guy' thing with Gallente is mostly an assumptive extrapolation from the fact a lot of their introductory text says they're democratic.

*Fascism in the closest near-consensus definition of it, not the "People in power we don't like" definition.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2013, 13:37 by Seriphyn »

Lyn Farel

Re: CCP are biased against whoever is losing
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2013, 11:38 »

:grimdark:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2013, 12:54 »

wat
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2013, 13:23 »

All factions being 'evil' is nothing new.

The reason behind it might be just 'grimdark', or it might be there to encourage the players to create their own factions in 0.0 and not latch on to existing corrupt ones.

Which kind of flies in the face of developing FW and tying DUST into it.

But you know it might be logical development strategy to someone from Iceland.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:08 »

1.) You edited your post after I replied.

2.) It honestly puzzles me how you could ever believe that the gallente were the true hoeroes, knights in white shining armor, rescuing damsels in distress (sic!).

Edit: To clarify, EVE has always been shades of black, for in the grim nightmare of the far future there can be only war.  ;)
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2013, 14:09 by Laerise [PIE] »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:28 »

At the time that I read his post, Lyn was the only one who had replied in the thread. His post looked the same as it does now.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:30 »

2.) It honestly puzzles me how you could ever believe that the gallente were the true hoeroes, knights in white shining armor, rescuing damsels in distress (sic!).

Where have I said that?

Vikarion

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:38 »

Where have I said that?

You've intimated as much several times just around me. I mean, you're free to RP that, certainly, but don't deny it.

Anyway, there are some who feel that there's a difference between "Caldari NPCs are slightly better" and CCP freezing a see-saw in favor of Gallente when they held almost all the Caldari systems. Apparently that alone caused a bunch of Caldari FWers to quit in disgust.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2013, 14:43 »

Claims of CCP bias tend to come from people who want to create excuses for why their faction isn't 'winning'. I certainly felt no need to say so when I was rp'ing a Fed and the Caldari took all the systems, and I feel no need to say it when rp'ing a Caldari and the Fed has taken all the systems in FW.

I quite enjoyed watching as Roden with the SDII came into power in the Federation off the back of the 'loss' in FW just as I will no doubt enjoy watching events unfold in the State off the back of its 'loss' in FW. That is what can be amusing at times, as your enemy rejoices in their victories they provide fertile ground for fear and reactionary development. For the metagame is clear, so long as FW remains a game feature the causes for the continuation of the war must be created irrespective of how many systems one side holds over the other.

No doubt some might call the potential developments in the State as a result of FW as 'losing' if it results in it being portrayed as anything less than the, "Good guys" but in the end New Eden remains a particularly dystopian, dysfunctional and politically incorrect setting if you're a capsuleer by the standards of modern, western thinking. New Eden is a morally ambiguous place where the lines between right and wrong, good or evil can be blurred because everyone has their own perspectives and thoughts on what they are.

That's what makes it so fun.

Vikarion

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2013, 15:01 »

...but in the end New Eden remains a particularly dystopian, dysfunctional and politically incorrect setting if you're a capsuleer by the standards of modern, western thinking. New Eden is a morally ambiguous place where the lines between right and wrong, good or evil can be blurred because everyone has their own perspectives and thoughts on what they are.

There's been a distinct lack of negative characterization of the Federation compared to that leveled at the Amarr and Caldari. The worst TEA, TBL and so forth have leveled at the Federation is that all the glitz and hype makes you feel empty or encourages you to do drugs. Roden and the Black Eagles haven't done just about anything that qualifies as even mildly naughty, while CCP has continued to paint the Caldari as space nazis and the Amarr as child-molesting religious fundies. So, no, I don't think that it's a fair playing field when it comes to RP - the State sure isn't the same faction that existed when I joined Eve. And the only answer I got from a CCP dev about it was basically "screw you, leave the State as a dissenter then".

As for FW, the Gal-Cal warzone was dropping back and forth right up until CCP implemented one of the fastest patches they have ever run through, timed to coincide with Gallente control of the vast majority of the warzone, and they did so after consulting only Gallente FW players. The one Caldari player they claimed to have contacted denies being consulted.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2013, 15:15 »

I have never participated in FW.

But Tony G's writing did have a tendency to portray the Gallente a bit better than the rest. Sure the Federation had flaws, but these were mostly concentrated around a few corrupt or incompetent people and if not for these, the Gallente could pretty much stomp whoever they wanted.

Tony G is gone, but as per the discussion here for some strange reason somebody are still trying to promote this view with the blessing of CCP.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2013, 16:22 »

The reason everything is horribly grimdark is very simple: people. Anywhere you have people, you have the effect of human nature.

We're vindictive, spiteful chimpanzees, only in modern day we've invented guns, and in Eve we have spaceships with guns. At the core is still accursed humanity, no matter how many gadgets we wrap ourselves in.

Vikarion

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2013, 16:33 »

The reason everything is horribly grimdark is very simple: people. Anywhere you have people, you have the effect of human nature.

We're vindictive, spiteful chimpanzees, only in modern day we've invented guns, and in Eve we have spaceships with guns. At the core is still accursed humanity, no matter how many gadgets we wrap ourselves in.

Except for in the Federation, which is a "utopia", according to TEA.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2013, 16:35 »

At the time that I read his post, Lyn was the only one who had replied in the thread. His post looked the same as it does now.

I think so yes.

Though it seems to have been edited recently, but no idea what has changed.

Where have I said that?

You've intimated as much several times just around me. I mean, you're free to RP that, certainly, but don't deny it.

Don't deny it ?

I do not have the same experience at all. I have seen Seri (the character) either being the naive dreamer about the utopia federation he dreams of, or being the abrasive cynical renegade criticizing it heavily.

I do not see at all how it fits into what you are depicting of him.

...but in the end New Eden remains a particularly dystopian, dysfunctional and politically incorrect setting if you're a capsuleer by the standards of modern, western thinking. New Eden is a morally ambiguous place where the lines between right and wrong, good or evil can be blurred because everyone has their own perspectives and thoughts on what they are.

There's been a distinct lack of negative characterization of the Federation compared to that leveled at the Amarr and Caldari. The worst TEA, TBL and so forth have leveled at the Federation is that all the glitz and hype makes you feel empty or encourages you to do drugs. Roden and the Black Eagles haven't done just about anything that qualifies as even mildly naughty, while CCP has continued to paint the Caldari as space nazis and the Amarr as child-molesting religious fundies. So, no, I don't think that it's a fair playing field when it comes to RP - the State sure isn't the same faction that existed when I joined Eve. And the only answer I got from a CCP dev about it was basically "screw you, leave the State as a dissenter then".

As for FW, the Gal-Cal warzone was dropping back and forth right up until CCP implemented one of the fastest patches they have ever run through, timed to coincide with Gallente control of the vast majority of the warzone, and they did so after consulting only Gallente FW players. The one Caldari player they claimed to have contacted denies being consulted.

I could enumerate a lot of gallente negative descriptions.

Except with TonyG ofc.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2013, 16:46 »

Gesakaarin hit it right on the head.   Roleplay is story development, and stories have their ups and downs.  Being part of an underdog faction is just as interesting and enjoyable as being part of an ascendant one.

It's not a good idea to get emotionally invested in whether your faction "wins" a game when that very game is designed for an eternal back-and-forth between opposing factions.  It's like hoping for the total victory of the Horde or the Alliance.  Hint:  As long as Blizzard has subs, it's not going to happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6