Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Character Stand-Ins and Influences from Popular Fiction  (Read 9455 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

While many of our characters are our own creations, there are numerous influences from popular fiction, movies, television, etc that we sometimes take cues from.   I'd love to hear from some of you regarding these influences.

This isn't so much related to physical appearances but more in mannerisms, personality, those sorts of things! Keep in mind none of these are 'dominant' but are more 'sprinkles' of inspiration if you will.

For Silas, some of the current larger influences during the out-Sabik phase are:

Atia of the Julii from HBO's "ROME" series:

"she is depicted as a cheerfully amoral and opportunistic manipulator."

Atia always struck me as precisely the sort of Amarr Matriarch Silas is, especially regarding other Amarr holders, etc. Cheerfully amoral and decadent!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atia_of_the_Julii

Trevor Goodchild from the old "Aeon Flux" animated series from the 1990's. Don't even think about the ridiculous movie abomination...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Goodchild#Character_overview

How about you all?!

« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 12:56 by Silas Vitalia »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Character Stand-Ins and Influences from Popular Fiction
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2013, 12:34 »

I thought that thread was for physical appearances? My mistake if not!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2013, 12:44 »

Vicky was originally based on Victor Stecker-Epps, one of the most entertaining TV characters in a show not named Firefly. Needless to say, the character changed a ton, retaining few similarities besides violent behavior.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2013, 13:24 »

I'm not totally sure. Kala tends to be a sort of general mix of my own attitudes, those I think a person who's grown up in the universe of New Eden would have, and maybe a bit of Kaylee from Firefly  :P

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2013, 13:24 »

Your inclusion of "movies, television" in the OP may have thrown me off. :p

No worries, but I think the thread belongs more in the char development area, so I'll move it over there. If you could make your intent a little clearer in the OP and (edit: I'm a derp and missed the second paragraph) thread title that'd be awesome, though, so we don't have confusion about "duplicate" threads. :)
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 13:26 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2013, 13:41 »

Bahah, nice call on Trevor Goodchild, Silas. I can see it.

There's a bit of mannerism influence here too, but in my mind Safai sounds exactly like Helena Blake in Mass Effect 2. I had also been reading about the Desert Mothers when conceptualizing Safai, along with a bit of influence from the Bene Gesserit.

Appearances aside, her long-term RP is driven by the question: is Safai a Joan of Arc, or is she merely a Don Quixote?
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 13:46 by Safai »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2013, 14:19 »

Mh, I must admit that I do not think I ever got a conscious choice based on a fiction character, but influences sure went in the process.

Lyn was initially fleshed out with some Bene Gesserit influences, maybe a slight bit of Alia Atreides (young). Since we are speaking about Firefly references, and considering I have actually watched Firefly for the first time long after I started playing Eve, I was slightly amused to see that some bits of River Tam personality were very similar, probably coming out of the same stereotypes used for the creation of the character, especially since the character is always scared to hell of some random stuff where Lyn has an irrational phobia of mirrors.

But that's for the wicked side.

Otherwise I have of course heavily based the character on a mix of two major stereotypes for which I can't find a clear example fiction character (other than Arya Stark for young Lyn), which are the frail, excited bookworm and the tomboy.

Maybe a bit of Tali in Mass Effect, on the more gentle side.

I personally took it for personnal appearances as well in my reply.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 14:24 by Lyn Farel »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2013, 17:22 »

Arnulf's background was originally a blend of three films.

Partly his parents were lifted from "Once Were Warriors" & "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted?" Like Jake & Beth his mother was a middling rank woman from a respectable Sebiestor clan and his father is an clan-less escaped Brutor mine slave turned Republic Fleet marine. They divorced in his youth, albeit in less dramatic circumstances than the originals. Arn was raised in his mother's clan, but bears his father's name.

The second film is "An Officer & A Gentleman." Arn is partly modeled off the Richard Gere character in that his father was an NCO (now he's an officer due to fathering two capsuleers by different women). Like the Gere character he felt he had something to prove to his father. Unlike the Gere character his mother was alive when he entered the RMS and died after his graduation of natural causes.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2013, 17:24 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2013, 17:31 »

Originally, I don't think I had any particular character in mind when I started playing my not so well known character, Rin. Though sometime last year, when reminded of an older game I use to enjoy, I noticed that Rin shared a lot of similarities with the character Celes Chere.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Celes_Chere

Maybe I was subconsciously using her as a reference? I don't know. Things that Celes has that wouldn't fit Rin would be the obvious magic using (substituted augmented implants in place of the magic instead), obviously different looks and origins, and also the Gesthalian Empire in that game is rather obvious evil, where the Amarr Empire isn't exactly black/white evil.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2013, 21:23 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Cullen

Win.  :D

Katla is a blend of Withnail, Erich Mielke and the White Witch of Narnia. If that sounds self-contradictory, it's because she is.

If you can imagine Tim Burton making a Peter Pan movie, that's pretty much the guideline I go by when I play Ruby. I've also drawn a bit from A Clockwork Orange.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jan 2013, 06:12 »

The problem with popular fiction is the fact that the characters are pretty much tropes, card board cut-outs and very, very one dimensional.
When you throw in the fact that most actors in Hollywood are not allowed to act then what is left is the British/Australian actors from the Shakespeareian tradition that do have the tendency to be a tad overly dramatic.
Of course there are a few good people that get to stretch their talent in some series but the lifespan of any series where good acting is involved is miserably short.

The inspiration for Lallara did not come from popular fiction, not per se.

The basic concept was a true believer in a dystopian theocracy, parts of the personality came from the inspiration for the name itself.

Lallara, came from the Forgotten Realms zulkir of abjuration.
Zhuul, well, from Ghostbusters demigod Zuul that was a female minion of The Destructor.

This pretty much flew out of the window because of the awe that I was struck with when I started playing EVE and she started to grow into something completely different through the interaction with the people that she encountered in the cluster.
Of course she never lost her Faith, unlike the whole fucking Empire and all its pilots.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 03 Jan 2013, 11:08 »

Of course she never lost her Faith, unlike the whole fucking Empire and all its pilots.
Wow.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jan 2013, 12:23 »

Wow.

:psyccp:
Pages: [1] 2 3