Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Idea: Family Member Characters under other player control (yay?)  (Read 7681 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I'm fleshing out Silas' family background, and will likely be adding a few siblings and extended family members.

I think it might be a super neat idea to have one of these under independent control of another player.  No better way to make an "alt" a 'more real character than to have someone with their own agenda and personality writing them and doing their own thing.

As to not force the Sabik thing I'll likely have some family members who stayed loyal and broke away as soon as they could. While the family name is ruined in the Kingdom, I imagine they could probably try and make a fresh start in the Empire or State even. 

I'd be giving up the keys to the castle in the sense that the character would be yours and your alone; I'd acknowledge the relationship and contribute mutual backstory but what they do with themselves is all up to them, and certainly doesn't have to relate to me at all.

I remembered interacting with Verone's younger brother at some events and thinking how interesting it would be if they had been two separate players....

Does this sound stupid or maybe some non-fail in there somewhere?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

I actually really like this idea, and if I wasn't otherwise engaged may even take you up on it  ;)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

This is a really cool idea, and I'm definitely a fan of it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"

Damn, if I were inclined to make an alt I'd definitely take you up on it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Damn, if I were inclined to make an alt I'd definitely take you up on it.

Incline thyself?!

Thanks for well wishes rest of you. bears some more thinking!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

As long as you're careful about which family members are available as options for this, it can be fun and interesting.

I would put a very firm foot down and say "hell no" to the idea of anyone playing as a parent of the character, because that is one hell of a mess just waiting to happen. (I would also be highly wary of any other relation that would have had heavy input on the early years of a character's life for the same reasons.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

As long as you're careful about which family members are available as options for this, it can be fun and interesting.

I would put a very firm foot down and say "hell no" to the idea of anyone playing as a parent of the character, because that is one hell of a mess just waiting to happen. (I would also be highly wary of any other relation that would have had heavy input on the early years of a character's life for the same reasons.)

Quite right.  These would be siblings or cousins for those exact reasons!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

Quite right.  These would be siblings or cousins for those exact reasons!

I may take you up on the offer. Perhaps a younger sister? I was always tempted to have Kat fall to Silas' subtle nudging and such, but I am too OOCly dedicated to I-RED and my friends there to give it up for RP.

It may be interesting to roleplay a 'good little sister' who is very Anti-Sabik and wants the Silas she grew up with back, etc. Someone who later down the road may be turned, or may be eliminated! I don't know. It is worth looking into!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Evil twin sister, for soaptastic drama.

Interfering great-aunt, because it is a great-aunt's job to interfere.

Higher-achieving cousin, who always gets held up as an example of "why can't you be more like your cousin..."

and much more.
\o/

Lyn Farel

It's an awesome idea (as long as you are cautious to who you give the keys as usual in that game).

I would have been interested but one character is already enough for me in Eve. And all my character slots are taken anyway. But I am sure a lot of other people will be interested.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain

* Aldrith Shutaq creeps into the thread.

What. Do. We. Have. Here.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

While the family name is ruined in the Kingdom, I imagine they could probably try and make a fresh start in the Empire or State even.

If the family name is ruined in the Kingdom 'cause of heresy, it's certainly even more so in the Empire.

I think it's a good idea, I'd be careful with whom I'd be handing such chars, though.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help

I once kicked around the idea of having someone else play Vieve's dad.  I figured, hey, that backstory is so messed up as it is, how could it possibly get more broken?

Then I re-read that backstory and the character notes, and found places where I could break it some more, and ... yeah, you're right.  It'd be one hell of a mess that'd just be waiting to happen.

So, Silas, would those relatives you're thinking about be capsuleers?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

* Aldrith Shutaq creeps into the thread.

What. Do. We. Have. Here.

I am in fact, Aldy's good twin.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.

I think it might be a super neat idea to have one of these under independent control of another player.  No better way to make an "alt" a 'more real character than to have someone with their own agenda and personality writing them and doing their own thing.

Does this sound stupid or maybe some non-fail in there somewhere?

No it doesn't! Its actually is a very good idea. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5