Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buying/Selling Characters  (Read 1355 times)

Goshien

• Wetgraver
Buying/Selling Characters
« on: 02 May 2010, 14:15 »

Eve's endorsement of character sales is interesting, part of the reason I was able to get into the game in the first place. Their are many more factors to it though then your average wow character sale. In wow, you can nowadays pay to change everything about your character. Eve contains the player reputation, and when a character switches hands, the buyer is taking everything along with it, name from a book I've read and didn't realize included. Goshien started out as belonging to someone with very little organization for assets, but as far as a reputation or any stint in the RP community, clean slate as far as I could tell. His combat log contained one loss and no kills, which is now filled with any number of both. From in-game, this is a very obvious 180 in behavior. Which would naturally happen with any character sale.

So what if that character had a reputation, or was an avid RP'er, and now? Someone else is behind the controls, doing whatever they want to do. A roleplayer probally has a stronger attachment to their character then most, but if the time came, and you wanted to leave that character behind, would you take the oppurtunity to make some isk for alt? For a friend? For a pinch in case you decided to snap up something new?

Short version. What do you think of character sales, would you ever/have you ever, and would you ever sell your character?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Buying/Selling Characters
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2010, 14:26 »

For non-roleplayers, sure, whatever. Don't care. For me... I could never sell any of my characters. They have reputations, and they've all got agendas and history and so on. It may be overly emotional, if I leave the game behind, but I simply couldn't do that to them.

I couldn't have Mizhara, the rabid anti-slaver go fight or do industry for an Amarr corporation, RP or not. I couldn't have Jia'mei, the woman who deeply hates the Federation for 'betraying' her as she see it suddenly end up as a carebear for some Gallente corp, or fighting in the Gallente Militia. There's things like that for all my characters, and the most important bit of all:

While they have value to me, as 'characters'... They also affected someone else. They've spoken to people, had an effect on people... or characters, whichever. If they suddenly change that much, there's consequences for those people's RP.

I could see buying a character that has absolutely no presence within the RP community, and turning it into a roleplaying character. I can't see a roleplaying character being turned into a non-RP character, or suddenly get into the hands of someone who doesn't grasp their character personality and so on, which in turn ruins the character's history and views of the cluster.

Naw... I dislike it.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2010, 22:48 »

Esna is the only character I have besdies a barely trained cyno alt, so selling him is kind of hard for me to imagine. That said, if I ever did, he would probably die in an in character setting, so that if anyone bought him down the line he couldn't be used as an RP character again.

In terms of buying a character from a non RPer - this is actually something that presents a rather interesting idea for me; namely, how to introduce and develop that character with respect to my 'main'. Something I considered a bit is having the character be one of Esna's slaves - certainly, this would allow for further development of a side of Esna we've already seen a lot of. But what about other tacts? An old friend from his years of capsuleership? Or maybe a completely unrelated character that just happens to share a corp with him? Both of these would allow the developing and formation of completely new characters, which have their own merits and difficulties.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2010, 23:37 »

Fuck, I'd consider ebaying Ashar in a heartbeat if I needed the nine-hundred bucks.