Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rawr Sabik!  (Read 5417 times)

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
Re: Rawr Sabik!
« Reply #30 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:50 »

It's Techie's thing, Silas...I'd have to find an old story or re-write it to explain.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:53 »

Linky?

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #32 on: 09 Nov 2012, 01:49 »

Hahahaha, blooder carrier drops into FW land. Gets immediately annihilated by minmatar and randoms. Looks like we won't have to even lift a finger, our enemies are too busy whoring on each others killmails  :yar:

Fake Edit: That doesn't mean I don't want to make hot and fiery s- pewpew with your pod though, Silas.  :D

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #33 on: 09 Nov 2012, 03:53 »

I have a strong feeling this Blood Raider actor is played by a certain community friend we all know who was recently hired by CCP. She knows a little too much about various other roleplayers to be a random CCP actor.

I think that we've all had similar suspicions, but such discussions should be vetoed.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 09 Nov 2012, 08:29 »

Well, if every event is localized in FW space and of a similar nature I don't suspect they'll be winning any engagements.

I heard there was appropriate internal chastising for shield fit ashimmu's being armor triaged. I don't believe they had any 'supporters' on site either?

Did this count as a 'win' or a 'loss'? I don't know if storywise they got what they were after?

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #35 on: 09 Nov 2012, 09:26 »

I feel that they rely too much on the roleplay community to carry the day for either-side, when the reality is that the majority community are going to try and pop to dangling loot pinyata.  Manipulating this 'see it shoot it' propensity, by providing a polarized set of objectives, may be the way forwards - but it would be far more manpower/planning intensive.  So much so that it may require a great deal more volunteer support. 

In short, given the choice between playing a part and shooting one side, and whoring on to every kill, the average player will choose the latter.  Cyno jammers will only remedy the extremes of overkill and response times - the tides of bored alts or pilots without meaningful combat obligations will always roll onto the field to execute everything they see. 

It is my hope that CCP does have the resources to spare on such endeavors, but unless they do, in space activities will freuqnelty be at the mercy of larger, organised groups - of which there are few roleplayer examples. 

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 09 Nov 2012, 09:31 »

I think the Sansha events leading up to Incursions provide a great template.

Ongoing storyline for RP nerds to contribute to and influence.

Randomized locations hitting a good cross-sections of areas, security status, and groups.

Huge NPC spawns to even the playing field a bit for the 'defenders'

Consequences for people going after loot pinatas when 30 nightmares spawn on top of them and they die.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 09 Nov 2012, 09:38 »

The benefit of those was also that you didn't need a lot of ISD manpower to tie up a lot of capsuleers.  A few operators could flood a few systems with tons of NPC fighters and you really got a sense of 'invasion' when the overview filled with many, many targets.

+1 epic
+1 grimdark

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 09 Nov 2012, 09:45 »

The NPCs for any of these engagements should rarely ever 'lose' IMO.  For any faction, pirate or Empire. Most capsuleers should still feel the power and the scale of the 'big dogs'

I want the Republic Fleet spawning 100 Tempests on top of a planet in Huola and local filled up with tales of ground combat

I want Gurista ships flooding systems and 'blockading' entry gates in brazen and outright antagonistic piracy. It's a PIRATE Cartel.

And yes, I want 100s of Bood Raider ships burning Kingdom and Empire space and hearing of the lamentations of the civilians below. Right before the Imperial Navy shows up to dispense divine justice.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #39 on: 09 Nov 2012, 11:01 »

More power yes.

Overwhelming power?   No.

If there is too much NPC power, causing every engagement to end up with gigantic NPC fleets to come to blows, actual PC's are going to be less likely to show up, and at that point you might as well be running the events on the downtime of patch day, like they were before.

The first two Gurista events were GREAT, from what Im hearing from my corpmates who were involved.

The third one was lackluster because of the fact that the Gurista undocked two frigates and a transport in the face of overwhelming odds that they knew were out there.  Including a Caldari Navy Tengu fleet.

Pro Gurista supporters wouldn't have been able to do too much against that.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2012, 11:03 by Tiberious Thessalonia »
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #40 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:15 »

I heard there was appropriate internal chastising for shield fit ashimmu's being armor triaged. I don't believe they had any 'supporters' on site either?

what do you mean here ? the carrier having armour reps, but the ashimmus are shield tanks ?

And no sani sabik turned up at all ? o.O
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #41 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:23 »

Yeah, I don't think you need RP intervention to make it an RP event. I think we as a small community are a bit self-entitled in that regard.

Take the Placid event, which saw the Serpentis beaten by the FDU. Not everyone in the FDU were RPers, but the FDU is an IC entity and RP can be built around that. Even saw some non-RPers/lite-RPers deciding to chip in. It's surprisingly easy for anyone to type out "For the Federation!" or "Die Serpentis!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:31 »

I think the issue Aelisha discusses - catering to RPer vs. wider populations - is a big one, and came up during the Sansha events as well. In this particular case, I think the battle was preemptively made one sided due to the fact that players were tracking and following the Raiders long before the engagement began; compare this to the Serpentis event, in which at the start Seriphyn, Scherezad and myself were more or less the only "defending" forces on field.

EDIT: Valerie and Synthia were following us around in frigates while we were still in highsec, Lou. I don't know if they followed the Blood Raiders into Sahtogas.

Back in the Sansha events, fights were at times pre-announced, but countered with at least 3 well-coordinated dev actors on field plus hoards of NPCs; conversely, there were also times where we would be given 4 or 5 widely-spread systems to watch, and then scramble 10+ jumps when it became clear which were being hit.

Mind you, given that this appears to be an attempt not to work towards a defined story-point but to simply make as much noise as possible to get people into the storyline again; I'm debating whether this is the best choice (no defined story arc tends to focus people more on the short term loot pinatas rather than the long-term story objectives), but I'm waiting to see where they go with the Blood Raider arc before I start poo-pooing CCP again - so far it's been a pleasant surprise.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 09 Nov 2012, 12:35 »

Dammit dammit dammit. The Sabik finally get around to doing something months after I've hung up my pod. *sigh*

Ah well. I hope it goes well, maybe there will some decent Sabik RP to be had if I ever come back. In the meantime, back to PS2.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 09 Nov 2012, 14:05 »

Actually Val and Synth were there. Valerie even challenged me to a duel in Oyonata after all the dust settled, but I declined due to the differences in ship class: Executioner vs. Oracle isn't much of a contest for either side, depending on the starting range.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4