Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101380 times)

Vincent Pryce

Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #60 on: 12 Apr 2014, 02:32 »

I look forward to fucking your shits up in Star Citizen.

I hope ransoming will be viable in this game, proper space piracy. That fine thing that no longer exists in EVE.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #61 on: 12 Apr 2014, 03:47 »

I am still undecided what I will be/who I will hang out with in Star Citizen. I do know that I'd like to be captain of or an officer on a big space ship fighting for spacejustice.

Captain Fabulous Hair o7

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #62 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:03 »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #63 on: 13 Apr 2014, 20:43 »

Live Presentation earlier for PAX.

Much demo. Much shiny first person.  Also much crash but *alpha*

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/04/star-citizen-dogfighting-module-details-revealed-full-report

fast forward to 1:06

I WILL GREET YOU ALL ON THE OTHER SIDE WHEN YOU JOIN ME.

You know, I'd pondered trying to unload the stuff I'd purchased and see how much of the grand i'd blown on this game I could recoup. I'm still strongly considering that, but for now it looks like this game might be worth it. Maybe.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #64 on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:47 »

So Ive heard that 41 million has been tossed by nerds into this game and there isn't much to show for it but for increasing kickstarter goals where they get an extra one million dollars to add like a single system to the game.

How true is this?
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Desiderya

« Reply #65 on: 14 Apr 2014, 04:30 »

It looks absolutely stunning, but what I see in all the vids is just promises of awesome gameplay and lots of extremely bland and sad "action".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZN0vQFNE2o&feature=player_detailpage#t=250
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZN0vQFNE2o&feature=player_detailpage#t=834

sneaky edit:
More intense dogfighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlg8pmM13gg&feature=player_detailpage#t=288

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2014, 04:36 by Desiderya »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #66 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:28 »

Yeah it's a bit "early" to tell for now, i'm reserving my final judgement for when the game will be in a more advanced state. We will be able to judge a bit more when we will have that dogfight module released. And they should probably improve over the feedback they should get, or I hope so.

But tbh i'm more interested in all the awesome promises they did for the MMO part, and for now, yeah, it's just what's planned in terms of design, but that's a layer they are not working on yet for now, just informally.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #67 on: 14 Apr 2014, 08:10 »

So Ive heard that 41 million has been tossed by nerds into this game and there isn't much to show for it but for increasing kickstarter goals where they get an extra one million dollars to add like a single system to the game.

How true is this?

Mostly true, yeah. Game development takes time, and CIG is making a point to lay good groundwork to build on rather than wasting time on giving stuff to customers quickly that won't be part of the final game.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #68 on: 14 Apr 2014, 08:32 »

The developers are still unfortunately at the point of 'promising the sky' and not yet having had to deliver.

To me it looks like the 'kernel' of what they are doing so far, the world building, the game engine, the scope of game play they want to accomplish, all sound nearly too good to be true.

The devil's in the details, though.

As we all know from years of Eve, how the powers that be decide to balance ships, game play, and what exactly you can get away with can turn 'sandbox' into 'barely playable unbalanced wtf.'

Even if the game falls far, far short...the simple fact that one of the main game tenants is that you can have a multi player crewed ship and fly the space lanes hauling or pirating or exploring, moving around the inside of your ship, manning turrets and ship systems as a group, and then docking up and doing the 'space bar' thing in third person with your friends, means it's already giving me from the start things that I've wanted from Eve for the entire time I played.

That they are planning to introduce FPS combat for ship boarding and piracy just makes my pea brain explode with possibilities.   Ambushing a cargo hauler or military ship, disabling it, and landing a boarding party and giving them what-for with a blaster and stealing their cargo and zooming off and then landing and selling the stolen goods at some seedy space station cantina avoiding the police the whole time?  I'm effing sold on that.

It's the 'full service' space MMO in theory.

But devil's in the details.

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2014, 08:41 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #69 on: 14 Apr 2014, 09:10 »

How true is this?

It's not vaporware yet, but still more of a slight wet mist that might turn into a snowstorm.  Or nothing.

The game designer has a very good track record and they are building it all from scratch in house.  Like a lot of stuff in the creative fields sometimes 90% of the work has NOTHING to show for it until it's much more complete. 

I've worked on plenty of projects that are completely front loaded, where it looks awful and you have nothing to show your client for the early stages, and then as you move on a flood of good things will happen.

Or crash and burn *shrug *

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #70 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:42 »

I saw some encouraging news a couple months ago (can't find it now because of my work blocking RSI's site, dammit) about them partnering with another developer to share technologie.

The short version was that another small, crowdfunded game was working with the same engine (cryengine 3 I think?) and had made a pretty cool character creator. So CIG approached them and said "We think that's awesome and would love to learn more about how you did it and we've been doing all this cool stuff with cryengine that we can share." And the end result was an agreement to share technology.

And I think that's fucking awesome, and probably wouldn't happen if either of these companies was owned by a major publisher. So while I might be apprehensive about the amount of cash I've dropped and may not get a good return on, I'm feeling pretty good about the impact that this will have on the games industry.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #71 on: 14 Apr 2014, 13:15 »

What makes them not having a lot of things to show is basically that they are creating everything from scratch. Someone doing a sequel or a new game based on the same engine that was already used for other projects can quickly show something new as a showcase, even without the slightest scrap of gameplay. In a few months, have a few artists work on something and you will have something to show.

But when you are doing all from scratch, well, you can't.

Even if the game falls far, far short...the simple fact that one of the main game tenants is that you can have a multi player crewed ship and fly the space lanes hauling or pirating or exploring, moving around the inside of your ship, manning turrets and ship systems as a group, and then docking up and doing the 'space bar' thing in third person with your friends, means it's already giving me from the start things that I've wanted from Eve for the entire time I played.

That they are planning to introduce FPS combat for ship boarding and piracy just makes my pea brain explode with possibilities.   Ambushing a cargo hauler or military ship, disabling it, and landing a boarding party and giving them what-for with a blaster and stealing their cargo and zooming off and then landing and selling the stolen goods at some seedy space station cantina avoiding the police the whole time?  I'm effing sold on that.

That made me think of SWG as a MMO. SWG was a rather crappy game and has always been, especially balance wise. Pvp was retarded because of that, and the combat system overall was completely obnoxious/bland. So yeah, pretty crappy bar its excellent crafting system.

What made the game last so long was firstly yeah, the licence itself, but also the sandbox. Not a sandbox totally like eve of course, but with a lot of stuff focused around social activities with tons of game tools to serve that. It made players feel incredibly at home with a lot of toys to play, from housing to event props and player owned towns. Imo, that's what kept the community on that game for a few years. A bit second lifey, yeah, but it worked well.

I think that a lot of developpers often completely overlook those things in MMOs : make the player feel at home and accommodate all his bunch of friends so that they can do stuff together, whatever they want, and you will keep him for long.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #72 on: 14 Apr 2014, 13:23 »

One thing I was thinking about, was that with all the special ships and doodads for kickstarter backers and all that, and with so many kickstarter backers, that it might end up that anyone who comes to the game if it reaches release, would end up in the minority, and recruitment and retention of new players could be a problem.

I.e. you have 2 classes of star citizen, as it were:
Those who backed it, and have bonus doodads.
And those who don't.

So it might end up as something that isn't particularly appealing for people who weren't in on it from the start, and ends up with a player attrition problem.

Like, say 1million people backed it on kickstarter, and have special doodads. That's 1m players with bonuses over any potential new players. What is the total potential audience for the game ? What's in it for a new player, to start at a disadvantage compared to almost everyone else ?
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #73 on: 14 Apr 2014, 13:32 »

I am not sure that there is any special doodads. At least in terms of pay to win. They might just start with more stuff perfectly accessible to everyone.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #74 on: 14 Apr 2014, 13:37 »

One thing I was thinking about, was that with all the special ships and doodads for kickstarter backers and all that, and with so many kickstarter backers, that it might end up that anyone who comes to the game if it reaches release, would end up in the minority, and recruitment and retention of new players could be a problem.

I.e. you have 2 classes of star citizen, as it were:
Those who backed it, and have bonus doodads.
And those who don't.

So it might end up as something that isn't particularly appealing for people who weren't in on it from the start, and ends up with a player attrition problem.

Like, say 1million people backed it on kickstarter, and have special doodads. That's 1m players with bonuses over any potential new players. What is the total potential audience for the game ? What's in it for a new player, to start at a disadvantage compared to almost everyone else ?

The doodads aren't generally exclusive stuff; it'd be like starting eve with a few plex instead of grinding isk for your first cruiser.  What we don't know is the in-game value and how long of a head start it equals.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44