Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Naqam (A Sansha aligned capsuleer corporation) manufactured the Naqam Heavy Bioindustries Ultra Happy Chip™? It was player created - see advertisements on the Eve Wiki!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101344 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #30 on: 29 Aug 2013, 14:08 »

Wouldn't surprise me if that's part of why he decided to spend their money rather than his own on the new game :)

On the other hand, the rage when this fails to live up to its messianic expectations will be incredible.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 02 Sep 2013, 12:32 »

lol DO NOT TOUCH THE SHIT.

Also, all of the ships are eventually going to be available for purchase once ingame right ? No unique collector-only thingy ?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #33 on: 02 Sep 2013, 15:07 »

Also, all of the ships are eventually going to be available for purchase once ingame right ? No unique collector-only thingy ?

Believe so.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 03 Sep 2013, 11:48 »

So, a couple small updates. The hangar is out. It's gorgeous. The modders have already figured out how to tweak settings, get rid of silly atmospheric effects, etc. A few of them pulled the ships out of the data files and loaded them into CryEngine3 editors where they could see what they look like in better lighting.

And no one is surprised, and CIG has basically said that they expected this and don't mind. The only real guideline they've stated is that they'd prefer people not make and release anything that really sucks and might tarnish the brand.

There was also a bit of a kerfluffle over the openning of the cash shop, and CIG came back a day later with an excellent response and explanation of what they were thinking, etc. So overall, life is good.

Oh, and a few people are reporting issues with their GTX 590s catching fire in the hangar due to lack of proper safeguards. The hangar module is pre-pre-pre-alpha and is therefor poorly optimized. I get 15-20 fps using one HD 6950, 30-40 using two (max graphics settings) so no problems here, but it reminded me of Incarna melting a few people's gpus (Kyoko maybe?).

And now we wait for the dogfighting module in december and watch the absurd rate at which CIG is crowdfunding this game.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #35 on: 03 Sep 2013, 12:03 »

I may have purchased one of the packages earlier last week  :eek:
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #36 on: 03 Sep 2013, 12:19 »

There was also a bit of a kerfluffle over the openning of the cash shop, and CIG came back a day later with an excellent response and explanation of what they were thinking, etc. So overall, life is good.

Do you have any link about that ? Unlike you I have not followed that particular thing...

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 03 Sep 2013, 13:44 »

Do you have any link about that ? Unlike you I have not followed that particular thing...

Sadly I can't get to their website right now. Their response is up on the front page at robertsspaceindusties.com under the $17 million heading.

What happened went something like this:
Hangar launches on Thursday night. Servers suffer, so shock there.
Voyager Direct (helpfully shortened to VD) launches over the weekend with items for purchase. Items are bought with UEC (united earth credits), a few of which are given out to backers so they can check it out. More credits can be purchased at a rate of $1 for 1000 UEC. Most of the items in the store are cosmetic and cost about 5k UEC, everyone has been given 7k. So far this is fine.

Problems: Weapons are also available, ranging from 8k to 12k. Purchases are non-refundable. This leads people to think that they have to pay more money in order to get the weapons that they are supposed to be testing (since this is an alpha), and that any money they spend now will be permanent (which is strange, since this is alpha/beta and usually stuff like that gets reset any time there are major content patches, game release, etc). Also, the hangar buggy which we had thought would be included in the larger hangars costs 20k UEC, meaning you have to pay another $13 for it.

This causes fairly strong knee-jerk reactions, accusations of cash-grabbing, etc. I too was a little irked by it, but mostly by the permanence of decisions made during alpha testing. And by the lack of a buggy in my deluxe hangar.

CIG says "woah there, that's not what we meant, hang on," and then lays out a more complete explanation: They don't actually need us to buy anything for testing, as all the functionality involved can be tested simply by swapping weapons around the ships we have (which causes lols as those weapons are designed for the ships they come stock on and have clipping issues on other ships). And the prices in the store might be a little high ($5 for a poster).

And, most importantly to me at least, there are going to be ways to earn more credits in-game during the alpha (particularly the dogfighting) so you don't have to shell out RL monies to get stuff in the store.

So overall the launch didn't go quite as smoothly as would have been hoped, but they responded quite well and fears of a cash grab have been largely calmed. They are planning to leave in the ability to buy credits with $$ as a way to support the game once it has launched, but they'll be limiting how much you can buy so that it doesn't become imbalancing.

Let me know if you want to get lifetime insurance on your ship. LTI probably won't be quite as good as it sounds since it could really break the economy, but it'll still be handy for making sure you don't end up without a ship.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 03 Sep 2013, 13:52 »

Thanks.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #39 on: 03 Sep 2013, 14:12 »

Let me know if you want to get lifetime insurance on your ship. LTI probably won't be quite as good as it sounds since it could really break the economy, but it'll still be handy for making sure you don't end up without a ship.
Hmm, that sounds like something to look at.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 27 Oct 2013, 20:04 »

Bumping because they just blew through $25 mil and holy fuckballs. Seriously, what the fuck. When will it stop?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 27 Oct 2013, 20:11 »

Silas Vitalia has been registered.

I would like very much to join up with some of you peoples and shoot other peoples.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 27 Oct 2013, 21:09 »

Bumping because they just blew through $25 mil and holy fuckballs. Seriously, what the fuck. When will it stop?

25 million is NOT an enormous budget. Not for AAA, anyway. Quarter of a billion is an enormous budget.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #43 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:59 »

While it looks interesting, I won't be holding my breath.  Might take a look when it's actually released, but this has my cynical alarms buzzing.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:10 »

While it looks interesting, I won't be holding my breath.  Might take a look when it's actually released, but this has my cynical alarms buzzing.

Cynical alarms should def be set to yellow alert, but some of these features and ideas are scratching several burning itches that Eve continues to refuse to address:

1. Getting out of my fucking ship
2. going to places where other pilots are, talking to them in third person
3. Groups of people running a spaceship together, be it piloting, manning gun turrets, or launching defense fighters against enemies
4. Shooting each other with skill-based gameplay (being a good pilot is important, aiming/ hitting what you aim for is important)
5. Boarding other ships, shooting occupants, stealing said ship.
6. Actual smuggling and nefarious activities
7. NPCs that are killable and single-use

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44