Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101372 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #540 on: 02 Oct 2015, 09:44 »

This is blatant gossip and not much else, but my dad told me that his friend who works at CIG's manchester branch has told him the company is coming apart at the seams. Lots of people quitting and an increasingly hostile atmosphere.
Someone linked this on Slack yesterday. I wasn't planning to link it here because it could kinda be viewed as flamebait, but since someone else brought up the CIG atmosphere first I feel less awkward about it. :P

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

Was going to avoid this, but since it's been linked, here's the full response from CR to the previous Escapist article:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

And someone did a little digging and found that several of the "anonymous source" quotes used in the escapist piece matched reviews written on glassdoor in the last week, word-for-word.

So yeah, there are rumors going around that CIG is a shitshow, and there's reasons to believe that the rumors are bullshit. Probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

CIG in general, or the Manchester office in particular ?

He wasn't super clear? He said that the management had begun acting super strict and the office had a 1600's era witch hunt paranoia vibe going on, but I dunno if that referred to the branch or the whole company.

This wouldn't be a huge surprise. The people stirring up shit in the news lately are claiming that some of their sources are current employees. So management may be trying to figure out who.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #541 on: 02 Oct 2015, 11:12 »

Yea the escapist 'article' was mostly fantasy quotes from alts of D. Smart.

Some people want this thing to fail so bad it's amazing.

There's plenty of legitimate fuckups from CIG over the last year or two to write about without hardcore muckraking, so this is amusing.

Anyway mic drop in about a week they'll reveal the cast for the single player (Mark Hamil, yay!) and lots of fun actual computer game stuff and not drama.

I'll add that CIG have done a generally -terrible- job of just ignoring the trolling, and are forgetting internet shitheads do not equal majority of their backers and supporters. They've got nearly a million. A MILLION. people signed up and they are being ridiculously butthurt about 5 or 6 people.  They forget the #1 rule of not feeding the trolls, responding to idiots only gives idiots more exposure.

« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2015, 11:17 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #543 on: 02 Oct 2015, 11:32 »

I'll add that CIG have done a generally -terrible- job of just ignoring the trolling, and are forgetting internet shitheads do not equal majority of their backers and supporters. They've got nearly a million. A MILLION. people signed up and they are being ridiculously butthurt about 5 or 6 people.  They forget the #1 rule of not feeding the trolls, responding to idiots only gives idiots more exposure.

I think they actually did a pretty good job of ignoring the crap this summer until it started coming from legit gaming news sites. When it was just DS being a crybaby (who now somehow believes that he has 'staked his career' on being right about CIG going down in flames), CIG didn't say much at all. When it went past that, CR did an interview with Polygon for a decent article. I think the way he went off in response to the Escapist was a little over the top, but given how long it's been building and how personal the attacks have been lately, I can't blame him.

When it's just people stirring shit on the forums, they've done a pretty solid job of ignoring it, issuing bans and walking away. But this shit finally got into the news, and without another really juicy story to talk about, the gaming media has been happily repeating a bunch of unsubstantiated speculation.

Yay for more actual game news, though. And hopefully more to come in the next couple weeks. Might keep me from unloading a few ships to see if I can recoup my investment.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #544 on: 02 Oct 2015, 11:38 »

Yea if you have KOTAKU of all people calling an article shit then you know it must be awful:

https://archive.is/NLgJm

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #545 on: 04 Oct 2015, 11:12 »

Official mic drop.  Read the lawyer letter:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

One great point. The hit article claimed they verified the anonymous employees by seeing their ID cards, cig: we don't even have I'd cards, get rekt m8.

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #546 on: 05 Oct 2015, 17:15 »

Actually, it's about ethics in video game journalism.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #547 on: 05 Oct 2015, 19:41 »

Actually, it's about ethics in video game journalism.

Never heard of such a thing.  ;p

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #548 on: 06 Oct 2015, 14:17 »

Official mic drop.  Read the lawyer letter:

One great point. The hit article claimed they verified the anonymous employees by seeing their ID cards, cig: we don't even have I'd cards, get rekt m8.

Maybe by ID card they don't mean a company passcard but an actual ID card such as passport or drivers license. With that they could then check that the source really is who they claim.
As in the situation that I tell the paper a juicy story and that I'm named Jek.
So journo then checks and confirms that a Jek is working at Space Games inc. In order to validate that I'm not lying I then get to back my claim in being Jek by showing my drivers license or such.

That said I've no dog in this race.
If it turns out to be vaporware or a scam or whatever then that's a pity. I'll not get to play what could be a good game and it'll hurt crowdfunding.
If it turns out that this game is released and of quality then I get to play a good game.

Right now I'm just munching popcorn over all the drama.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Nissui

« Reply #549 on: 06 Oct 2015, 15:54 »

At my former employer, devs did not wear ID, but contractors did. Assuming it isn't total BS, maybe there were a couple disgruntled QA perps?

Just some idle speculation.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #550 on: 08 Oct 2015, 20:11 »

Some great new FX work on ship explosions and damage states.

All in-engine, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10TAH5LVCow&feature=youtu.be

Saturday is CITIZENCON which will livestream all the goodies. Stay tuned!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #551 on: 09 Oct 2015, 03:10 »

That was one of my biggest gripes in terms of immersion... The lack of explosions and good SFX was ruining a bit the experience...

I'm glad they adressed that.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #552 on: 10 Oct 2015, 15:52 »

Squadron 42 (single player game) cast:

Gary oldman, mark hamil, mark strong, gilian anderson, johns rhys davis, etc

Good. Lord.

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/20068257

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #553 on: 10 Oct 2015, 16:18 »

HYPE TRAIN BOARDED. GOOD LORD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpeLpQWzTk

Lyn Farel

« Reply #554 on: 10 Oct 2015, 17:31 »

I have to admit that this video made me a bit confused... I am not totally sure what kept happening and what people were doing...

The moves for landing, taking off, and other ship translations looked awfully badly modeled, not very on par with their usual nice flight model... I am not sure what happened there?

Why are they walking totally normally at the beginning when they get out of that station onto the landing pad? Magnetic boots?

Their quantum drive looks awfully like a dumbed down version of cruise from Elite...

They environments overall continue to look really nice all in all though! I like their ring stations, gives a real space vibe overall.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 44