Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101342 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #525 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:59 »

Honestly I lost all hope with so called single shard servers and MMOs when it comes to RP. It causes a lot more issues than the pros you get out of it...

Small tight knit RP groups tabletop like work way better. I'm fine with their instancing system, and to hell with galactic wide RP consequences that nobody is going to agree on and have drama around anyway, eventually.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #526 on: 30 Sep 2015, 08:36 »

Honestly I lost all hope with so called single shard servers and MMOs when it comes to RP. It causes a lot more issues than the pros you get out of it...

Small tight knit RP groups tabletop like work way better. I'm fine with their instancing system, and to hell with galactic wide RP consequences that nobody is going to agree on and have drama around anyway, eventually.

Yea I just don't know yet
  I think this game might be the ultimate 'low stakes' group rp, from meeting in bars and to overhearing conversations and then going out with you crew to salvage a derelict, etc. Very neat.  But yea the instancing will come down to how they do it..

They are doing a 90/10  npc/player split, so 90% of the ships you see will be npc.  The idea is to have a busy, full world, but also to specifically prevent the players from ruining the economy or totally controlling certain areas.   I dont like a lot of that idea, but then again total player control can go so poorly as an experience as well..
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2015, 08:37 by Silas Vitalia »

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
« Reply #527 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:27 »

I think this game might be the ultimate 'low stakes' group rp, from meeting in bars and to overhearing conversations and then going out with you crew to salvage a derelict, etc. Very neat.  But yea the instancing will come down to how they do it..

They are doing a 90/10  npc/player split, so 90% of the ships you see will be npc.  The idea is to have a busy, full world, but also to specifically prevent the players from ruining the economy or totally controlling certain areas.   I dont like a lot of that idea, but then again total player control can go so poorly as an experience as well..

That's the big hurdle/barrier to my considering Star Citizen.  It's also why I quit star trek online back when it first came out.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #528 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:31 »

I would actually love that. Like in any kind of tabletop with a good GM, it's full of NPCs, breathing, and living.

Unlike eve, which is totally empty and not immersive.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #529 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:58 »

I think eve would have benefitted from some more npc flavorings around stations and docks, if only for eye candy?  Just to see the little people scurrying around your docked ship loading and repairing would have added so much immersion...

They are doing a fairly complex sort of 'sims' AI giving a few million npcs jobs and tasks (trading, hauling, etc) and letting them be the cogs in the player universe.  So when you steal some haulers cargo that will generate a new npc task to deliver the same product or an npc/player bounty mission on you.  Supposedly.   

A lot of the missions you will get from the standard agents but a lot you will have to overhear convos in bars, etc as chance encounters.  They are trying to find ways to encourage players to spend time in the landing zones and not just run to the jobs board, etc... We'll see.   One more week for citizencon which will be their biggest set of reveals yet.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #530 on: 30 Sep 2015, 13:33 »

It's not just the lack of NPCs in eve... Artistically, it's static. Nothing moves, nothing happens. Mimetically, it's very poor... and i'm not even talking about their space battles...

I understand though that when they designed the game, they certainly did not have the means nor the budget for a lot of production value but... well. It's just not a game designed around that, basically.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #531 on: 01 Oct 2015, 11:14 »

There's a lot of sense in the above, except that the Eve community splintered over twenty servers would be so small as to be... well... a twentieth of the size.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #532 on: 01 Oct 2015, 12:42 »

Well yeah, it may well have come a bit harder than I intended... Mostly a cry from the heart...

You just have to take a look at what slack magnified and showed to public: the RP community in Eve doesn't pass a day without someone starting to diss on someone else, be it DK or anyone else. And occasionally (meaning, frequently), a drama starting because someone has either the idea to start a debate and then not being okay at the first sign of other people disagreeing politely...

Eve entertains a shit mentality of pettiness.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #533 on: 01 Oct 2015, 14:58 »

I used to tie myself in knots about that, Lyn. It caused me great angst and I really resented it when people put me on the spot and did anything that might cause me not to be able to be both IC and OOC friends with absolutely all RPers.

I think an RP community will always suffer from the Meta social games, though, simply because a lot of people don't like playing those games for real money but enjoy doing them in places like the Eve community - which is sort of the same reason we play the non-Meta games too, of course. :)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #534 on: 01 Oct 2015, 23:45 »

I used to tie myself in knots about that, Lyn. It caused me great angst and I really resented it when people put me on the spot and did anything that might cause me not to be able to be both IC and OOC friends with absolutely all RPers.

I think an RP community will always suffer from the Meta social games, though, simply because a lot of people don't like playing those games for real money but enjoy doing them in places like the Eve community - which is sort of the same reason we play the non-Meta games too, of course. :)

There's a good part of me that thinks "low stakes" RP where you play a normal human doing human-sized events (dogfighting, shooting people, not being a demigod, maybe just racing your ship in the racing league or growing plants or running your space salvage business) in small groups that don't (and can't) effect THE GALAXY might be just what the doctor ordered. 

Lyn Farel

« Reply #535 on: 02 Oct 2015, 01:50 »

Well, you will always find your usual godmodding and mary sue gawking RPers like in most classic MMOs, but at least, you can ignore.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #536 on: 02 Oct 2015, 02:57 »

This is blatant gossip and not much else, but my dad told me that his friend who works at CIG's manchester branch has told him the company is coming apart at the seams. Lots of people quitting and an increasingly hostile atmosphere.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2015, 03:07 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #537 on: 02 Oct 2015, 05:15 »

CIG in general, or the Manchester office in particular ?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #538 on: 02 Oct 2015, 06:40 »

This is blatant gossip and not much else, but my dad told me that his friend who works at CIG's manchester branch has told him the company is coming apart at the seams. Lots of people quitting and an increasingly hostile atmosphere.
Someone linked this on Slack yesterday. I wasn't planning to link it here because it could kinda be viewed as flamebait, but since someone else brought up the CIG atmosphere first I feel less awkward about it. :P

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #539 on: 02 Oct 2015, 08:44 »

CIG in general, or the Manchester office in particular ?

He wasn't super clear? He said that the management had begun acting super strict and the office had a 1600's era witch hunt paranoia vibe going on, but I dunno if that referred to the branch or the whole company.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2015, 08:46 by Gwen Ikiryo »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44