Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That travelling to planets takes quite a long time?  For more, read here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Retribution.  (Read 60798 times)

NISYN Aelisha

Re: Retribution.
« Reply #90 on: 23 Oct 2012, 16:23 »

Morwen has the meat of it.  Doing something difficult is not inherently noble, nor is it stupid, if it is a game and you are enjoying yourself.  It is when you are wailing and gnashing teeth, cursing Hilmar's ginger short and curlies for ever having forsaken your soul on the altar of this MMO that my diatribe really starts to apply. 

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #91 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:03 »

Locking yourself into only ever flying one kind of ship... <bad stuff>

If you refuse to fly anything but X ship type.... <bad stuff>

Unless it's Amarrian ship types ;-)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #92 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:06 »

With PIE, you always know what kind of ECM to fit.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #93 on: 24 Oct 2012, 09:07 »

Radar jamming artillery thrashers. I hate them so very much.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #94 on: 24 Oct 2012, 23:29 »

Mass flipping tonight.  Caldari have started, but the short notice has them at a disadvantage.  They'll still likely flip a large number of systems over the coming days, perhaps enough to swing the warzone heavily into their favor.  Things are more dire for the Amarr.

Color me surprised.  The situation actually turned out in reverse.

The Amarr rallied rather well, especially given their outnumbered state.  They flipped every system they could get their hands on.  Battle lines are setting and, while the Minnies are making a major Kourm push, I can see this war front settling into a stable parity with the PvP focal point being the usual three or four systems.  Amarr militia went from 2% on the FW bar to tier 2 and rising.  That's impressive, given the odds arrayed against them.

The Caldari, on the other hand, are doing much worse than I expected.  I thought they'd secure the majority of systems, or even dominate the war front except for a handful of Gallente systems.  This is why I thought they'd accomplish this:

1)  The Caldari remain the largest militia, numerically.  This isn't just a matter of farmers flooding their ranks (the Minnies have the same issue).  They've got some rather sizeable and active pvp blocs that are spread out throughout the war zone.

2)  The Gallente / Caldari warzone is the larger one, and 50-60 of all Gallente systems were Vulnerable when this change was announced.  That is a lot of deplexing - it takes quite a few more man hours to secure the Gallente/Caldari warzone as compared to the Minmatar/Amarr one.

3)  The Caldari have demonstrated the capacity to deploy many dreadnaughts in bunker-busting.  The Happy Endings alliance did this during their last tier 5 push, popping bunkers at a rate of one every ten minutes.

Privately in the Gallente militia, we were discussing the worst-case scenario of being pushed back to just our staging systems and having to mount a concerted campaign on neighboring systems to get the bare minimum to push into tier 2.

This scenario didn't happen.  During the last three days since the announcement, the Caldari flipped a dozen systems on the first, three systems on the second, and just two systems on the third.  Their lethargy as we brought more and more systems out of vulnerable was hard to understand, and we were often asking each other "What are they doing?"

At the moment, the Gallente hold a rather strong majority of systems.  There is still room for the Caldari to flip the 6 or so remaining systems that are vulnerable, and make a push to seize many of the systems still above 90% vulnerability.  We'll see what the next 48 hours bring.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2012, 23:33 by Shaalira »

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #95 on: 25 Oct 2012, 03:57 »

CalMil are doing just fine.  The slow speed is likely caused by Nasranite Watch acting like kids and demoralising people, but the actual skilled FCs are pulling out all the stops.  Once we get people weaned off this Damar/Bad Messenger 'farmers were the heart of FW' nonsense, all will be well. 
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2012, 04:00 by NISYN Aelisha »

Desiderya

« Reply #96 on: 25 Oct 2012, 07:50 »

Basically what Ael said, this isn't the apocalypse. But, imho, a couple of things:
1) About 1 day worth of deplexing* to bring the systems into 99ish%
2) AFK offensive plexing isn't possible anymore, every (Gal) farmer just can run defensive plexes instead.
3) no LP for offensive plexing beyond the 100% isn't really motivating - and you can't compete with (de)farmers and real enemies, *making the one day of plexing more or less without any reasonable competition.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #97 on: 25 Oct 2012, 09:28 »

Oh, I'm sure it's not the apocalypse or the collapse of the Caldari militia.  And I'm also under the impression that the Nasranite Watch is running around like headless chickens, doing more harm than good.  I'm just explaining why I thought the Caldari militia would be doing better at this point than they are.

It's still not a total sweep.  With no more vulnerable systems as of this writing, Gallente control 65 out of 101 or so systems in the theater.  Things may swing further in the Caldari direction before everything stabilizes.

I actually do hope things end up 'even' between both sides in both war zones.  Once a more-or-less balanced system is implemented, it's more fun to have two sides with rough parity duking it out.  One side dominating is no fun.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2012, 10:46 by Shaalira »

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #98 on: 25 Oct 2012, 12:02 »

I completely agree Shaalira, and I hink that a more even playing field is what is going to be required for both the continued health of factino warfare (or improvement of the poor health it was in).  Additionally, DUST will be joining the facwar family soon, so we really need to have a stable system in which ground and space actions matter, instead of a one sided cluster****. 

I guess the main benefit of this change isn't so much that farmers will be discouraged, but that farmers will have a useful role in 'holding the line' while the driving pvp forces attempt to act offensively.  I think this is the crucial element to this change, as it allows event the systemic sponges that farmers are, to contribute meaningfully to the war effort without putting in artificial, stupid rules like 'no capturing system X until some guy you don't know or care for says so'. 

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #99 on: 25 Oct 2012, 13:43 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aZCn6x1-j_8

Video dev blog on general Retribution stuff. Shows some nice art, and rendered dessies.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #100 on: 25 Oct 2012, 15:24 »

...waitwaitwait.

The Gallente Destroyer flies backwards.

Waaaaaaat.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #101 on: 25 Oct 2012, 15:51 »

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #102 on: 25 Oct 2012, 18:23 »

Oh geeze, are those for drones?  ...Don't tell me they're bringing fighters to hisec.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #103 on: 25 Oct 2012, 19:54 »

Just for drones, which makes you hope other drone-based vessels are updated to look that cool.

It might be for DUST dropships too...didn't they mention dessies will tie in with DUST somehow?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #104 on: 25 Oct 2012, 21:33 »

Just for drones, which makes you hope other drone-based vessels are updated to look that cool.

It might be for DUST dropships too...didn't they mention dessies will tie in with DUST somehow?

Agreed!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22