Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Rogue Jovian General incident years ago sparked Tech 2?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What two Gallente streets may look like (now with a 2nd pic)  (Read 5577 times)

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
Re: What an average Gallente street looks like
« Reply #15 on: 07 Oct 2012, 02:58 »

So, with that in the Federation then, it'd be like, uppermost levels, then the AR adds stuff to reality, and looks like the picture.

I was going to comment how the height of the skyline in the picture seems awfully lacking, but that makes perfect sense now.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #16 on: 07 Oct 2012, 04:42 »

Heh, well, I'm sure not every Gallente city follows one design, and given that both Gallente and Caldari society share core fundamentals (capitalist, materialistic, pursuit of advanced tech, mass media entertainment, etc...just different execution and style), as well as a shared history, and thus in the same "civilization bloc", it wouldn't surprise me their older cities look similar.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 07 Oct 2012, 04:47 »

Yeah, there'd be different kinds of cities. Like domes and such too. Not all would follow the "levels" type of architecture.

Still, the richer/better maintained areas of cities would be more like the picture, the middle areas it would be a bit of a facade, and so on.
\o/

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #18 on: 07 Oct 2012, 08:58 »

Forgive me for playing the Devil's Advocate, but I've never subscribed to the whole view that most RPers have of the Gallente.

I don't see why every depiction of them has to be "lol tits" and showing as much skin as possible, or constantly wearing clothes that they appear to have been vacuum sealed into.

Wearing a sexy outfit doesn't have to be provocative in terms of flashing all your shit off, or everything being horrendously skintight. In fact, it's been proven in a lot of case that it's quite the opposite.

As for Federal cities, There reaches a point where there can be TOO much advertisement, and the messages you're trying to get across become diluted an annoying.  While sure, there'd be a fiar bit of neon and a lot of holographic billboards, most images tend to overdo it.

As well as that, the Federation is in the middle of a war. I'd assume for the last four years, there's been a lot more focus on Federal propaganda and military recruitment advertisements than there has been for the latest flavor of quafe, or the newest Wings of Valor hologame. 

I'd see federal cities as being a lot more about flashy, show off architecture rather than advertisements everywhere. It's backed up by prime fiction, with buildings purposely grown and carved from synthetic crystal.

If there was any Faction that was going to be big on corporate advertising and branding, then to me it'd be the State that would be pushing hard with the Neon signs encouraging you to buy Caldari and support the State. Sadly, quite a few people portray the Caldari as corporate robots living in dull grey cities comprised of horrid glass and concrete blandness with no features to them and no real uniqueness from planet to planet.

Sad really. Then again, it's just personal opinion. I'd love to see a lot more development on culture for all the races in Eve.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 07 Oct 2012, 10:12 »

Oh, Verone, I agree whole-heartedly. The FP articles for Caille and Hueromont reflect very old-fashioned cities fused with a modern outlook and sense of proud historical preservation.

I would more emphasize the original picture would be a Gallente city street...I'm sure that sort of style exists somewhere, as much as the more traditional styles exist too.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #20 on: 07 Oct 2012, 11:24 »

Sadly, quite a few people portray the Caldari as corporate robots living in dull grey cities comprised of horrid glass and concrete blandness with no features to them and no real uniqueness from planet to planet.

Sad really. Then again, it's just personal opinion. I'd love to see a lot more development on culture for all the races in Eve.
I'd portray Caldari cities as settlements, built around industrial or military complexes, with most elite habitats situated as close to the central complex as possible to prevent losing time on transport. Life is centered around work, not around trade or leisures. Speaking about leisures, most of them should be located in outskirts, to maintain motivation of lowest workers.
I don't think there would be many advertisements, but surely a lot of State and corporate symbols, colorful banners in soviet style (like "everything for the state","labour, peace, state","your corporation is your home", etc) and motivational posters.
Well, and, of course, monasteries in Buddhist-style  :)

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #21 on: 08 Oct 2012, 01:48 »

I'd have to agree with Verone here. The focus in the picture seems to be on the ads depicted and the clothing styles of the walking patrons. In my vision of the Federation, architecture would be the focus of most cities - round, spherical, curvy, and shiny! Of course, there would be neon signs and holo-boards with a touch of draping vegetation here and there, too. Also, I imagine not everyone would wear skin-tight latex clothing. The Federation is supposed to be a diverse mix of people, and thus this should be evident in clothing style.

Personally, I really admire the Federation in terms of its looks. It embodies the vision of the future I wish I could live in.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #22 on: 08 Oct 2012, 02:39 »

I'd have to agree with Verone here. The focus in the picture seems to be on the ads depicted and the clothing styles of the walking patrons. In my vision of the Federation, architecture would be the focus of most cities - round, spherical, curvy, and shiny! Of course, there would be neon signs and holo-boards with a touch of draping vegetation here and there, too. Also, I imagine not everyone would wear skin-tight latex clothing. The Federation is supposed to be a diverse mix of people, and thus this should be evident in clothing style.

Personally, I really admire the Federation in terms of its looks. It embodies the vision of the future I wish I could live in.

This has been mostly my idea as well, but the street still fits.

But that's the thing; it could be anywhere on any core world in the Fed, or even the capital city of any frontier planet, or anywhere else really, like a deep-space colony with domed cities covering some planetoid somewhere, with artificial skies filing the space above the people's heads. We know from PF that the Fed likes to make their space-born habitats seems more 'natural' if at all possible, so it's not a very large stretch.

As far as clothing goes, while they would indeed have all manner of different clothing styles around the Nation, not all settlements would have a large variety of clothing styles, at all times, either.

Still, it's a very nice picture. I do wonder what Infinity Faction owns the city though, and if the models they sell come assembled and painted, or if you get to do that yourself.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
Re: What two Gallente streets may look like
« Reply #23 on: 08 Oct 2012, 04:40 »

Here's another;

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/4773/caille.jpg

I think Uraniae Fehrnah shared it with me ages ago. It seems spot-on for the description of Caille. I'll update the OP with it.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2012, 04:43 by Seriphyn »

Desiderya

« Reply #24 on: 08 Oct 2012, 04:50 »

Quote from: Verone

If there was any Faction that was going to be big on corporate advertising and branding, then to me it'd be the State that would be pushing hard with the Neon signs encouraging you to buy Caldari and support the State. Sadly, quite a few people portray the Caldari as corporate robots living in dull grey cities comprised of horrid glass and concrete blandness with no features to them and no real uniqueness from planet to planet.

Yes. The notion of a Caldari "entertainment district" seems to be unthinkable for some, apparently.
My imagination is heavily tainted by another old MMORPG, so I'll just drop two images in here - they're both from the same faction, yet very different. Could fuel the imagination regarding the common background of State and Federation.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Jikk

• Patriarch
  • Clonejack
  • Magister Dixit
    • Maritime Games

I would like to think that as far as "average streets" go there would be significant variance dependant on the planet. As much as you will see large chains I would argue there would still be variation, after all even on our little planet a McD's in America has very different look and feel than a McD's in China.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

The concept of variance within a faction is based on the notion that there is no 'global' culture that is constantly enforced on the minds of the citizens by the media.

In all the factions such indoctrination is present.

In real world such global culture is created in the concept of the consumer, over sexualized children are one global indicator of it.

In Europe and America (the continent) you can see exactly the same trends in dress and attitude that go hand in hand with the culture enforced by the media. Same 'uniforms' of freedom of choice and sexuality can be seen everywhere in the world.

Even when you have the wealth of different cultures, languages and religions on one planet.

I would think that all the factions (the Gallente and the Minmatar included) are more uniform that we would care to think. Mainly because of the fact that all the factions seem to have perfected the tools of societal indoctrination to such an extent that bleed over from one culture to another is almost unheard of in New Eden.

There is not a single initiative in of peaceful cultural coexistence and integration that has not been curb stomped by the major factions.

In addition to CONCORD there is only Sisters of EVE that has a cluster wide cultural agenda that seems to override the aforementioned indoctrination of the factions.

So, the focus in the Gallente culture on sexuality and physical beauty is a tool of control of the population.
There is also the employment side of things, a society can create a lot of work from their population having a service industry that is revolving around fitness, beauty, well-being and entertainment.

A citizen that is concerned about being beautiful and in touch with the trends has no time to be politically active.

Which means that the corrupt power structure of the Federation can go unchanged and do whatever it damn pleases without the population interfering with it.

I believe that this is one of the reasons that the Gallente are perceived to be 'American', it is the tools of population control that are pretty much the same as in the global culture that we have in the real world.

Which might explain why this turned a bit ranty.

Of to catch brekkies. \o/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Jikk

• Patriarch
  • Clonejack
  • Magister Dixit
    • Maritime Games

The concept of variance within a faction is based on the notion that there is no 'global' culture that is constantly enforced on the minds of the citizens by the media.

In all the factions such indoctrination is present.

Even amongst a group of federated states, or a union of sovereign nations there is variance. Indeed even within a sovereign nation there are a range of different architectural styles, not forgetting legacy infrastructure.

As for individuals, sure there are common trends, for example in dress styles, but also those that buck the trend or change as styles do; again even difference within a sovereign entity.

Indeed it may be the case, as with most fictional entities, that the homogeneous nature of the different states is reinforced for ease of handling the setting however, I would still prefer variation within the planets of the Empire; let alone those outside it.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Lyn Farel

Well, I am pretty convinced that english culture has a lot of - obvious - particular traits that widely differ from russian culture, american culture, or japanese culture, even in our globalized world. Try to change the country you live in and I bet you will soon see the difference : architecture, history, language, behavior, social memes, food, traditions, religion, fashion, laws, etc.

However, yes, we have a layer above all that which is more or less the same almost everywhere (consumer culture, etc) that constitutes our current world.

Seriphyn

• Demigod

Compare Edinburgh vs Aberdeen architecture, and this is in Scotland (not very big). Also...

Despite all this Foiritan is very much aware that being the leader of a democratic state, especially one as volatile as the Federation with all its ethnic, religious and economic differences, is a position built on quicksand.

Language will be the main contributing factor to diversity, since it's the first barrier within interaction. I interpret the Federation more leaning towards India in demographics rather than the US from that above quote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3