Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Wolves of Pator rescued and freed 5,000 slaves as a wedding gift for Evanda Char?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What makes your faction the best?  (Read 8294 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
What makes your faction the best?
« on: 08 Jul 2012, 14:26 »

Most RPers (though certainly not all!) tend to play characters tied to factions, for better or worse. So this the thread to explain what makes your favorite faction(s) so much fun to play.

NB: This is supposed to be a thread full of win, love, and awesome. Positive things, not negative things. Boosts and no nerfs. Etc. etc.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: What makes your faction the best?
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2012, 14:40 »

Megacorporations.
Backstabbing.
Space Bushido.

The Caldari are cyberpunk/shadowrun-esque and their ships are such a lovely tone of grey.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2012, 14:54 »

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2012, 15:25 »

Mostly the "utopian"-style aesthetics and technology, along with a much greater opportunity at sandboxing it up by experimenting with hybrid cultures. Also, the ability to explore how a free/liberal society operates in a world where the other nations don't care one bit for it (unlike IRL, where if you're not a democracy you're ebil). I just like the worldbuilding scope that the Fed provides.

Oh, and teh conspiracies. I've used the image before, but a group of old men in sci-fi Victorian suits, sitting in an ornate room on wooden furniture, consuming beverages and tobacco from across the cluster, discussing how to exploit the latest media frenzy taking place in the room's holofeeds to forward their goals. Not that my character supports that, but is definitely a traditionalist/idealist fighting against the opportunistic puppeteers. You can be a patriotic Gallentean without being patriotic Federation, or some such.

Thirdly, the contrasting of highly advanced civilian technology and super hi-tech cities with communities that barely have any technology in them to begin with. One of my more enjoyed elements of sci-fi.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2012, 15:26 by Seriphyn »

Jev North

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2012, 15:35 »

We have drugs. So much drugs.

Also:

The perspective on New Eden from the outlaw factions is quite interesting.  The rest of the cluster thinks you're subhuman scum, or at least maintains the idea to justify mass murdering your mates for the bounty on their heads. On the other hand, hey, they're kind of right, so there's no reason to sit around resenting people for it. It's strangely relaxing.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2012, 15:38 »

(For posterity's sake, it might be helpful to identify your faction in your post so future readers aren't all  :psyccp:)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2012, 15:54 »

I haven't played my favorite faction yet, but when I do, I'll remember to dig this up and report what playing it is like.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jul 2012, 16:40 »

EOM

We're very under explored and very often misunderstood, allowing for a lot of creativity and intrigue in developing the nooks and crannies of the faction's culture.

We are in it alone. I get a lot of enjoyment from having no real allies, which gives me the freedom to either abhor or appreciate anyone when the conditions suit me or my faction. We also draw a lot of ire from every direction, which sounds like a negative but is an interesting basis for conflict driven roleplay if that is what you're into.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jul 2012, 17:06 »

Winmatar!

Why?

1.) Rifters
2.) rustcore/steampunk meets Last of the Mohicans
3.) cool tattoos
4.) our emo backgrounds beat your emo backgrounds
5.) Rifters
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2012, 17:29 »

Loincloths are omitted?

Hm.

You're slipping.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2012, 18:51 »

Loincloths are omitted?

Hm.

You're slipping.

What do you think Mohicans wear?  Slacks?  Bermuda shorts?
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2012, 20:19 »

Khanid Kingdom \o/

- CyberKnights!
- Being black, and bad-ass.
- Amarr RP without the stupid inflicted by :psyccp:
- Our ships are made of win.

Really, I don't they are the best faction by a long way as its different for each person obviously, however its the one I have spent the most time enjoying consistently - followed closely by Caldari.

Also.
Give me a goddamn Khanid Abaddon all ready!!  :bear:

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jul 2012, 20:35 »

Wintaki:

*because we can clone ourselves without your clunky technology (sure, we have to hijack the bodies of new-born babies to do so, but that's part of the awesome!)
*because we used to have sensational giant head-dresses in the old char-generator, and because in the new char-generator we have the Best! Gallic! Nose! Ever!
*because we're both assimilated in and separate from the Federation so there's heaps to play around with.
*Syndicate. Mordu's Legion. 'nuff said

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 08 Jul 2012, 23:57 »

Wintaki:

Well, now, if we're doing specific bloodlines...

Brutor is by far the best cus...

1.) Everyone else looks silly in dreadlocks
2.)  Everyone else looks silly in aviator sunglasses.
3.)  Everyone else is afraid to meet you in the flesh cus youre that scary and OPed physically.  You have the Brutor "I win this fistfight" button. 
4.)  Mister T could very well be one of your distant ancestors.
― Isaac Asimov

Gessenier

« Reply #14 on: 09 Jul 2012, 00:03 »

I enjoy the Fed because behind the facades of its media industry, the glitz and glamour of celebrity pop culture and the histrionics of its Senate the dark arteries of corporate power penetrate every aspect of its society.

It's about the only place where you can be a ruthless, violent, and ambitious 'entrepreneur' willing to do whatever it takes to advance your own agendas and then bullshit in public about Freedom, Democracy and Liberty as you put the boot down on the scrubs that constitute the other 99% of the Federation. It's a land of opportunity where only the most cunning rise to the top and lives of sex, lies, drugs and power are rewarded generously with status, fame, recognition and privilege.

Also, fuck the government. For the Corporations!*

*Especially Roden Shipyards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4