Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Electus Matari lost over 400 members at the start of its war with PIE Inc?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: You aren't godlike enough.  (Read 17468 times)

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: You aren't godlike enough.
« Reply #90 on: 14 Jun 2012, 13:34 »

Look, the gruesome threesome have already become avatars of constructed gods.    Not sure I can do much more with them than that without taking them out of my little corner of the sandbox.

I'd have to make another alt.

I don't wanna make another alt.

Besides, y'all scare me.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #91 on: 14 Jun 2012, 17:04 »

And sometimes Vieve you scare me becasue I've no idea what your talking about and part of me want to know. That's a horrible thought right there.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #92 on: 14 Jun 2012, 18:47 »

Just a note hellgremlin there are a few capsuleers who are actually happy to be transhumanists, and you should know that already. We don't show much up on the igs, but mostly cause we are just bored with it. This is what I posted last time I was there.

As a capsuleer we can see gamma rays, perceive x-rays, sense dark matter, feel the wind of a supernova blow over us! I can not even properly express what we as caspuleers experience to a mortal, as it is impossible to conceptualize such complex emotions and sensations in the limited language we use! But you would trap yourself in your bodies prison, to "walk on a beach." Do us all a favor and stay there with the rest of the dregs.

Vendrin, do you roleplay at all these days? Is there any way to intersect with this vision of transhumanist experience apart from STUGH's whole "We are the Wild Hunt and you are either with us or our prey" angle?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #93 on: 14 Jun 2012, 21:53 »

I'm reminded of something from Timothy Leary.

The twenty-first century person capsuleer is a internal cybernetic person. He or she accepts the Heisenberg principle that you create all internal realities. Therefore you're responsible for everything that you experience. This identification of yourself as a internal quantum entity certainly dissolves most of the identification chords to your former culture, your former nation, your former religion, or any other external structure, even to your family, unless family members are redefined as cybernetic entities. The internal cyber-punk, or the cybernetic person, is a free agent.

Edit mine, of course.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #94 on: 14 Jun 2012, 22:03 »

And sometimes Vieve you scare me becasue I've no idea what your talking about and part of me want to know. That's a horrible thought right there.
It is particularly scary when you have an idea what she is talking about and your character(s) are referenced in the logs of her characters with different perspectives on the relationships between those characters.   :eek:

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #95 on: 15 Jun 2012, 00:34 »

The twenty-first century person capsuleer is a internal cybernetic person. He or she accepts the Heisenberg principle that you create all internal realities. Therefore you're responsible for everything that you experience. This identification of yourself as a internal quantum entity certainly dissolves most of the identification chords to your former culture, your former nation, your former religion, or any other external structure, even to your family, unless family members are redefined as cybernetic entities. The internal cyber-punk, or the cybernetic person, is a free agent.

Edit mine, of course.

A question for you: I feel like it's the norm for capsuleers not to maintain ties to former culture, nation, religion, etc, and that those of us who do are the weirdos. I get the sense that some people perceive it the other way around.

Could I have some feedback on that?

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #96 on: 15 Jun 2012, 05:35 »

I'm excruciatingly aware of this. OOC Reasoning: It's more interesting to explore the decadence of a person who clings onto their humanity, their culture, their religion, their wars and their daily injustices into deific madness and unabridged megalomania than it is to play someone who is more readily able to realize the limits of their new lives.

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #97 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:54 »

There it is, that's exactly the attitude I was looking for. We are so far beyond human, and so much more, and yet our squabbles are still confined to that limited, waterlogged, bipedal omnivore scale.

Au contraire. Without health, life, food and a home to squabble about, what is left? Give someone ultimate power and knowledge, and you'll probably find he has no reason to squabble about anything.

What do most people who have a godlike amount of wealth in our own world squabble about? If you don't need to struggle for material things or even life and health, you'll likely start to struggle for intangibles as love and respect.

Oh no!  Not no squabbling!  What will EVE be about if the only reason to fight is to just blow the other guy up?!

...wait...

in seriousness though, I'm hoping to address Trans humanist issues with CEMPS.  I've wondered what would happen if a person realizing their Trans humanist nature would try to take the peaceful contemplative path (Buddhist, anyone?)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #98 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:03 »

"Advanced Infomorph Psychology"

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #99 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:06 »

Edit mine, of course.

A question for you: I feel like it's the norm for capsuleers not to maintain ties to former culture, nation, religion, etc, and that those of us who do are the weirdos. I get the sense that some people perceive it the other way around.

I believe the eve playerbase generally represents the 'non aligned' capsuleers, the vast bulk of which aren't out fighting for the home nation, but more are free agents as you describe.

"PF" wise I think the actual majority of capsuleers are under the direct yoke of their governments, members of the military, etc.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #100 on: 15 Jun 2012, 12:24 »

So most capsuleers of the player-controlled variety clearly don't maintain a lot of factional loyalty, because they're looking at game rewards first and foremost (e.g. mission runners who want a CNR will run Caldari missions, not because they love the State, but because they want the LP). We know that many NPC capsuleers work for other factions: Roden is a capsuleer, as was Gariushi, but not Heth, and many pilots are as well. This even applies to the pirate factions.

We could make the case that many of the first type will look at loyalist capsuleers as weirdos, even among roleplayers. The best analogy that occurs to me is that these characters might be seen as the equivalent of "mamas' boys" who never move out of their parents' basements. (Please note, I'm not casting OOC aspersions here in the least, but pointing out character attitudes!) After all, these pilots have been given the most incredible gifts of freedom, immortality, and resources, and they sit at home doing the things they wanted to do before?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #101 on: 15 Jun 2012, 13:20 »

Yes, there is that. And the opposing view-point is that the Faction that reared you, groomed you and GAVE YOU that amazing position, freedom and mobility in space, finances, etc. deserves some respect and assistance. You are after all, getting paid for all that work you do for them in some way or another, and most still bother to visit friends and family, because they can.

To some if not most of these, the ones that break off to do anything else might be seen as the ungrateful kind that are solely out for their own good - even if their sole good is pretty much covered as a side-effect of their work? That might be seen as the most selfish thing one could possible do, but it does fit with the 'god-like' vain arrogance some eggers display; now that they are immortal unstoppable gods, why should they care for the silly base-liners and their cheer-leader eggers?

A capsuleer's freedom is so vast that there is literally nothing stopping them. They can even turn to piracy and out-right assistance of some factions, such as the Sansha, and there will be little if any consequences from the governments that spawned them. With this in mind, most capsuleers might start believing the good-hood argument sooner rather than later.

In my opinion the disparity between the good-hodders and... what to call the other side of the divide... oh well, the other group, well it's a very good thing. It's pretty much the separation between attitudes and opinions on yet another subject; themselves. In a hot-bed of religious, political, historical, racial, ethical and social arguing and an inability to get along and agree, often with loaded weapons and constant conflict, we add yet another point of separation between capsuleers to make their lives even more turbulent, deep and sometimes disturbing.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #102 on: 15 Jun 2012, 14:10 »

Godhooders and basement dwellers? ;) :P

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #103 on: 15 Jun 2012, 16:01 »

Just a note hellgremlin there are a few capsuleers who are actually happy to be transhumanists, and you should know that already. We don't show much up on the igs, but mostly cause we are just bored with it. This is what I posted last time I was there.

As a capsuleer we can see gamma rays, perceive x-rays, sense dark matter, feel the wind of a supernova blow over us! I can not even properly express what we as caspuleers experience to a mortal, as it is impossible to conceptualize such complex emotions and sensations in the limited language we use! But you would trap yourself in your bodies prison, to "walk on a beach." Do us all a favor and stay there with the rest of the dregs.

Vendrin, do you roleplay at all these days? Is there any way to intersect with this vision of transhumanist experience apart from STUGH's whole "We are the Wild Hunt and you are either with us or our prey" angle?

I don't really rp in EVE any more, not because I don't want to, but because I have no desire to do bar or summit rp and haven't found much opportunity to do much else. If he's invited to something and I can attend I'll be there as long as there is some kind of reason for it.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #104 on: 15 Jun 2012, 17:37 »

Join any immersionist RP corp of your choice and be social with whomsoever you please. Also, a reminder;

Like all things in EVE, RP don't have to be consensual. I RP as default with some of my toons even if I speak with nearly only non-RP'ers.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11