Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mordu's Legion was formed of Intakis exiled from the Federation for their support for the Caldari? For more read here.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: You aren't godlike enough.  (Read 17247 times)

Vincent Pryce

Re: You aren't godlike enough.
« Reply #150 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:43 »

I have been playing Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines recently, and something seems somewhat relevant:
"Humanity:
Humanity is a moral code that allows Kindred to retain their mortal sensibilities in the face of their transformation in to parasitic monsters. In essence, it is what keeps a vampire from becoming a mindless animal, enslaved by their thirst for blood."

substitute capsuleer for vampire into this kind of thing, and stuff makes a whole lot more sense :O

It was not for merchant shipping that capsuleers were developed. Mining barges and transports do not need a captain that can react at the speed of thought. Instead, it is for ships of war.

And warships, need someone to fight.

So, some capsuleers try to hold onto their "humanity", to slow/stop the slide into becoming a weaponised brain that is chained by its need to fight.

Vampire the Masquerade also has alternative routes of morality called the Paths, of which some are very inhumane but represent a very different set of 'moral guidelines' which keeps the mindless monster at bay.

Some capsuleers might adapt to those such as Path of Kings, Path of Night and even Path of Typhon and transhumanists sort of Path of Metamorphosis to guide them along immortality to keep them sane on some level.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Paths_of_Enlightenment_(Vampire:_The_Masquerade)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #151 on: 22 Sep 2013, 07:06 »

I think "functional" is the word you're looking for, Vince. "Keep them functional" rather than "keep them sane."

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #152 on: 22 Sep 2013, 08:06 »

Minor nitpick to Andreus' post:

Many Amarr holders live beyond the average human lifespan using implants, and it isn't unheard of for some to live hundreds of years. Indeed, the lifespan of humans has probably increased to around 100 years old thanks to New Eden's medical tech.

Just because we've only been immortal for 10 years doesn't mean we're all ten year olds. :)

Not that my character is any example. She's not even 30 yet.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #153 on: 22 Sep 2013, 09:02 »

I think "functional" is the word you're looking for, Vince. "Keep them functional" rather than "keep them sane."

Right you are my friend, right you are.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #154 on: 22 Sep 2013, 23:10 »

Many Amarr holders live beyond the average human lifespan using implants, and it isn't unheard of for some to live hundreds of years. Indeed, the lifespan of humans has probably increased to around 100 years old thanks to New Eden's medical tech.

Just because we've only been immortal for 10 years doesn't mean we're all ten year olds. :)
Granted, but my general point was that none of us can claim to be anything close to a time abyss which is where immortality really starts to kick in. There is no player-controlled capsuleer who's old enough to be a product of a culture - or, hell, even a zeitgeist - which no longer exists. Sure, there might be Holder capsuleers who may be several centuries old, but Amarrian culture is very, very slow to change, and the presence of a quasi-ageless ruling class that lives for centuries would cement that ponderousness. In addition, Holders living for centuries due to implants is something that's been in their society for at least a thousand years, probably longer, and so it's pretty likely that their culture would teach them and those around them how to deal with it.

No-one - and I mean no-one - in the capsuleer community has any legitimate right to bemoan the arduous nature of eternity. Our characters may not be ten-year-olds, no, but none of them have experienced even a miniscule fraction of their possible lifespans (and due to the fact that their continued existence is dependent on real life puppeteers who regretably don't share their lifespan, they likely never will). The only thing that really seperates them from normal humans is their resilience to death (in certain circumstances) and their efficiency as starship pilots.

I've realised recently that I don't really believe in "capsuleer psychosis." Capsuleers who are sadistic, arbitrary cuntbags were always sadistic, arbitrary cuntbags - becoming a capsuleer didn't turn them into one, it just changed the scale on which they can abuse others.

I think Andreus is 29 (he was 21 in late 2005, when he graduated from CAS). Is Katrina younger than him? :o

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #155 on: 22 Sep 2013, 23:41 »

I think Andreus is 29 (he was 21 in late 2005, when he graduated from CAS). Is Katrina younger than him? :o

She's 27. :O

YC89 is her birthyear.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #156 on: 23 Sep 2013, 02:43 »

I've realised recently that I don't really believe in "capsuleer psychosis." Capsuleers who are sadistic, arbitrary cuntbags were always sadistic, arbitrary cuntbags - becoming a capsuleer didn't turn them into one, it just changed the scale on which they can abuse others.

The one counter I'll make to that is that when your day job involves killing thousands of people a day, that'll get to you in some fashion.  I also see the experience of cloning, hardcloning in particular, to be a pretty stressful one however you spin it.

So in other words, I agree that becoming a capsuleer will not automatically turn you into an asshole.  The things that we go through as a part of normal existence, however, will have psychological strain.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #157 on: 23 Sep 2013, 05:01 »

Capsuleer psychosis is simply - phychosis, but a capsuleer is suffering it.

Officially, one should likely call it informorph pyshcosis.  Your brain may have been considered to be functioning in the realms of normalcy as a baseliner, but its xerox copy, and the pych stress of your life, the physical changes of generating brain tissue from a blob of biomass... mehhh 100% perfection?

If so, where's the Ray of Matar?  Oh rriiight.  That doesn't quite work 100% of the time.   There are RL examples of people functioning - high level functioning, with HUGE SWATHS of brain removed or destroyed.  Obviously because :grimdark:; the tech isn't perfect.

Plus murdering thousands of people before breakfast that we're taught arent as Cool As We Are prolly doesn't help that litttle flower picking hippy in your soul...

Capsuleers being sane simply wasn't bult into the equation as being IMPORTANT.  You don't want a ship pilot who will agonize over the death of milions.  You want one who will pull the trigger.

Were are all the true bloody hands of each of our races.

Don't matter how many times I offer my security guy a cup of tea.  Arista was created to be a monster, and if not created specifically FOR that, her turning into one is only a BENEFIT.  She is, if anything, a fucking failure of the average capsuleer  (as in the 100s of thousands of existing pilot accounts) because she suffers from Capsuleer GAS (Gives A Shit).

I do agree about the eternity whining thing.  That gets anoying.  You've been an immortal for, max, ten years, and in five years the entire infrastructure could breeak down and you could lose the ability to clone, be quiet, is Ari's usual response (in a nicer way).  That and "Funny.. I've had two friends die permanently in medical clone transfer accidents already and I've only been flying for three years.." (truth, 2 biomasses of acutal SPed up used toons she flew with that were NOT intended as alts)
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2013, 05:17 by Arista Shahni »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #158 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:32 »

She's 27. :O

YC89 is her birthyear.

YC 89 best YC.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]