Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 4276 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Prometheus
« on: 08 Jun 2012, 13:16 »

Holy shitballs.

Go see this movie, in 3D if at all possible.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2012, 21:45 »

Absolutely beautiful movie, some great concepts, trainwreck plot.  Shitty Lost-writers do not speculative fiction movie writers make.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2012, 00:16 »

Not likely to see it soon due to :effort: and costs involved with going to the pocket-shaped black hole that is the cinema, but saw this via twitter earlier and lol'd - apparently we're still using Windows 7 in the time this movie takes place: http://i.imgur.com/oDzET.jpg
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2012, 03:03 »

Yep, will have to see it.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jun 2012, 04:14 »

Just home from it. Trying to write up a response that's fair and informative without being spoilery. Failing, so you'll get my personal responses.

It's worth seeing: a nice example of movie-making which revisits a bunch of the familiar themes and tropes from the Alien franchise, while trying to add a couple more layers of "let's be meaningful".

That said, I wanted to apply inappropriate physical violence to most of the crew for their extreme and repeated stupidity, and the attempt at a religious/faith-based underpinning plot has me considering the possibility that if that's humanity then I'm a robot. (Alas, I don't possess the most pertinent other trait of robots as shown in this film.) It's very much a product of its cultural background. That means I'm automatically an outsider, viewing it as an unrealistic morality fable built on wishful and shoddy premises.

It's not a great film, but it is an intriguing one. To me it's worth the price of admission and the chance to rip into it over dinner afterwards. I do look forward to the puzzle-game aspects of it: exploring some of its fridge-logic elements to see if they can be stitched together and explained away, and waiting to see what useful information was left in the discarded edits files which might be restored in an extended cut.

(If you're a UI geek it had a couple of interesting offerings. Not quite up there with Minority Report in shaping the conceptions of future UI, and disappointing in not doing (at least) one thing which would have made sense in the context, but still fun.)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2012, 08:50 »

Going to see it tomorrow. I wasn't even born when either Alien or Blade Runner were released, and I demand to see at least one Ridley Scott film in the cinema :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jun 2012, 11:03 »

Oh how I wanted to love you, o' Prometheus, but you turned out to be a shit film.

Looked great, all that jazz and you could see that it had some nice themes buried in there that could've been explored decently, but it never did. Up to about the mid point I was still hopeful that it would turn out good, still willing to shut my eyes to the horrible deficiencies in what had already transpired, but what ensued was that it was pretty much a train wreck in all departments.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #7 on: 09 Jun 2012, 17:24 »

Looked great, all that jazz and you could see that it had some nice themes buried in there that could've been explored decently, but it never did. Up to about the mid point I was still hopeful that it would turn out good, still willing to shut my eyes to the horrible deficiencies in what had already transpired, but what ensued was that it was pretty much a train wreck in all departments.

Wait...I thought this thread was about a new Sci-fi movie, not Eve.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jun 2012, 20:09 »

Fascinating review. I don't agree with all of it, but one thing I do like about this film is the conversations like this that you can have about it.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jun 2012, 20:25 »

[spoiler]Why I like Prometheus : It definitely succeeded in carrying the feel of the first Alien movie as a horror movie, while introducing its own values. It answered  questions and provided more about the Space Jockeys (Engineers) that long time Aliens fans have contemplated for probably a decade now. There is plenty of room for a sequel, but in doing so it may shed the atmospheric value of Alien that it managed to carry on to an extent. Spin off series, perhaps.

Why I didn't like Prometheus :
It felt like it suffered design indecision about half way through the movie and carried it on towards the end. The question of the meaning of God and the sanctity of life, as shown in the drama between David (Android) and Shaw (Human), was not handled in a subtle manner befitting it - but slammed and sledged through a wall.

The introduction of the Weyland-Yutani CEO trying to cheat death was not a fitting subplot, and over all was also not carried well. Those resources could've been spent refining the God and religion debate about humans and creation. It injected the counter part notion of what death means, but that flopped around as a by product rather than a standing piece.

The Android, David, should have been more carefully hidden in my opinion - its a classic reveal to show one of the crew members as being The Android and betraying everyone. From minute one me and my brother signaled him out, because they didn't even try to hide the fact. He was quite unrepentantly The Android, and was basically a giant dick the whole movie.

What conflicted me about the movie :
The body horror and the Space Jockeys (Engineers).

The Aliens series is very tactful about its body horror - its not gender specific, fears that can realized by both men and women can be transmitted. Face Hugger goes to town on your orifice, and sometime later you get Kool Aid Man jumping out of your chest in a shower of jello. Psychology fans will note it shares the primal fear of being raped, and by having it target a non-gender specific area it triggers the fear in both sexes.

Shaw's pregnancy scene after having sex with her infected husband squicked me on levels that haven't been molested since Aliens Versus Predator 2, a movie in its own right that belongs in a refinery. She essentially goes through rapid gestation of a proto-Face Hugger embyro, horrifically warping the normal female pregnancy cycle. As a man this offended me more than it horrified me - This is very distinctly something happening to her as a woman, and my primal fear was not being triggered. The same tactlessness that happened in AvP2 (movie) felt like it happened here, but to the credit of Shaw's character she was able to beat the body horror and survive. It wasn't enough to make me walk out on the movie, but it sure tanked how much I was enjoying the film up until then.

The Space Jockeys, as fans call them, are an old and very sketchy race that has existed in the Aliens mythos. Players of the Aliens Vs Predator games (particularly #2) will be familiar with them in their role of creating the Aliens. Who they are, what they do what they do, and why they do it is never clearly explained - only ever guessed at. Prometheus gives a hint to their motivation, but it serves more to pose another question rather than answer the old ones floating about.

Me and my brother discussed their role in the movie a fair bit, and our general conclusion always ended up with the question posed - why create life, then destroy it with organic bioweapons (The Aliens)? Not even the old speculation from the game communities can provide a meaningful answer. I personally would love more exploration in this area, but as a main stream media it may not deliver it in the way it would suffice. Their role over all felt very clumsy; they touched upon great Sci-Fi and Meaning of Life questions, but never developed in that direction after introducing them.[/spoiler]

My general thoughts and feelings after watching the movie. Would recommend it to see it for a taste of the Aliens experience, would not call it a great movie or one to see multiple times.

Fascinating review. I don't agree with all of it, but one thing I do like about this film is the conversations like this that you can have about it.

This is a very good review for an academic analysis of the movie, and thank you for showing me it. I agree with a lot of his speculation, and he raises good points in particular to the nature of the main Plot McGuffin.
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2012, 20:41 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jun 2012, 21:15 »

Good linked article.

[spoiler]I have my own little pet theory, that there are two groups of Engineers, or some sort of internal conflict perhaps.  I'll call them the seeders and the cleaners.  You'll notice the ship in the intro scene is different than the Engineer ships on LV (a giant round 'mothership' opposed to the biomechanical half-circles we are familiar with).  Maybe the first Engineer we see is from a different sort of group than the ones the Prometheus crew encounters? The life creators and the life destroyers, perhaps in some sort of lengthy internal conflict? If I remember the Engineer in the first seen looked quite different than the violent ones on LV, he seemed naked and more 'pure' without the 'armor' suit the one in stasis had. Or maybe he and his were marooned or banished to Earth and the only possible revenge they could think of was to start the human race and point them in the direction of their enemies? Who knows. Of course hearing the Jesus thing straight quoted from Ridley does change things a bit...[/spoiler]

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2012, 21:50 »

Interesting and thorough analysis of the film.  Might add some value to it if you came away feeling :meh:  http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jun 2012, 22:30 »

Interesting and thorough analysis of the film.  Might add some value to it if you came away feeling :meh:  http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/uswn1/prometheus_everything_explained_and_analysed/

Ken, that's a repost of the review I linked above (which seems to be going viral). More and different comments, though...

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jun 2012, 22:45 »

Ken, that's a repost of the review I linked above (which seems to be going viral). More and different comments, though...

:eek: I reposted a link to a repost of the link that you posted?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Alain Kinsella

• The Planet Miner
  • Clonejack
    • The Kind Healer
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2012, 13:33 »

I'm not a fan of Aliens movies, or of horror in general, so I'll probably not see it.

I do appreciate that they did not mask this fact in the trailers, like Species did (which I got suckered into watching at the theater  :eek: ).

Going slightly off-topic, I'm finding it disappointing how few 'hard sci fi' movies are being made these days.  Even a remake of 2010 (or just doing 2061 and 3001) would be a great thing for me.  It's one of the reasons I was so happy to see another Tron movie come out, and now its related TV series (despite it being aimed at kids).
Pages: [1] 2 3