Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Federal member states retain control of their home systems, as seen exercised here?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: EVELOPEDIA character entries  (Read 14562 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: EVELOPEDIA character entries
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2012, 02:37 »

I'm trying to make one but have no idea how I upload a picture of kala :S

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2012, 04:45 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Vieve_Tisserand_(Character)

I went with the datasheet-type entry rather than trying to timeline (or worse, explain!) things.   

I usually try to go like if it was an entry on wikipedia about someone (more or less) famous. It is not always easy of course and I am not satisfied with my entry yet (added to language barrier and all).

I'm trying to make one but have no idea how I upload a picture of kala :S

Told you last time on the OOC channel. :p

Log on, then under the "tools" on the left, you have the option to "upload file". Upload your image according to the restrictions then use a wiki link in your article (check other the code of other wiki articles with images if you want to do it, you can even resize the image like I did with the second image on mine).

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2012, 05:03 »

Witchcraft! But thanks Lyn, that worked :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2012, 07:39 »

The Evelopedia is supposed to contain IC-knowable information about us, yes?

How much IC knowable info do any of you know about me?

How much do I want anyone knowing?

That is why you are the primary author of your own page.

I struggle with the idea of being the author of "Dex Nederland"'s wiki page.  For Wikipedia, there is the convention that you should not create/edit a wiki page about you.

I am the primary author for LDIS's page; seeing it as a combination of advertisement/record keeping.   Doing this on Wikipedia is a no-no.  I really should make sure the information is available elsewhere (as a reference for the page).

Quote from: Wanted Pages
Template talk:ExplorationCategoryNavigation ‎(550 links)
Myxx (Character) ‎(145 links)
Chevalleis (Character) ‎(137 links)
Unit XS365BT (Character) ‎(136 links)
Jade Constantine ‎(51 links)
Bane Glorious ‎(49 links)
Hardin ‎(49 links)
Contact Mission ‎(21 links)
Omber Zombie ‎(18 links)
Julianus Soter (Character) ‎(18 links)
Courier Mission ‎(14 links)
Guthris (Character) ‎(13 links)
Sophie Daigneau ‎(12 links)
Neural Boosters ‎(12 links)
Issler Dainze ‎(12 links)
Bunyip ‎(11 links)
CSM-CCP Meeting 1-1 ‎(11 links)
Help:Naming Conventions ‎(10 links)
Rogue drones (Chronicle) ‎(10 links)
Contributor name:Shae Tiann ‎(10 links)

There are a lot of characters in the top 20 Wanted Pages.  What if I should write up the initial entries for Jade Constantine and Hardin and they don't necessarily like a portrayal?   I do not know the ends and outs of their characters and likely built the page based on available history, which may not be favorable to their desired portrayal.  Should they go in and begin editing to get the portrayal desired?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2012, 07:41 »

Going to catch up to all of these and post comments. Regarding the 'tone', I like to approach mine just like the 'data entries' in Mass Effect. I can almost imagine that same narrator reading my page :P

I'll check all these links!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2012, 08:00 »

I struggle with the idea of being the author of "Dex Nederland"'s wiki page.  For Wikipedia, there is the convention that you should not create/edit a wiki page about you.

I am the primary author for LDIS's page; seeing it as a combination of advertisement/record keeping.   Doing this on Wikipedia is a no-no.  I really should make sure the information is available elsewhere (as a reference for the page).

There are a lot of characters in the top 20 Wanted Pages.  What if I should write up the initial entries for Jade Constantine and Hardin and they don't necessarily like a portrayal?   I do not know the ends and outs of their characters and likely built the page based on available history, which may not be favorable to their desired portrayal.  Should they go in and begin editing to get the portrayal desired?

There's a difference here, Dex - with character pages on evelopedia, this is you being able to determine what information is publicly available to anyone who would look, that is, a semi-effective anti-godmoding mechanism. Sure, there will be people who know other things about you but that doesn't mean the general public does. Think of it as a place that another capsuleer could look to get a general idea of who that weird guy who's named after multiple packs of cards is. They're prompts for further RP.

Using Morwen as an example, people who care to look should be able to find out where she came from (a particular district of Caille), where she went to school (fine and performing arts academies in that district), who her family is (and what they do), that sort of thing. Want to know how she interacts with others? Watch her forum-posting habits and chatter in various channels and places. Just like one would IRL. :P

As for portrayal, well, nobody's perfect, and it's not really possible to get a completely unbiased page when you're listing opinions and not facts. But the only person who knows for certain what the facts are about your character is you.

I also see evelopedia character entries as being slightly different - they fit more the 'profile' sort of thing, perhaps something compiled and periodically updated by CONCORD or a pre-capsuleering employer (Lai Dai in your case?). If I wanted something written from Morwen's perspective I'd put something up on the blog. Basically what Silas said in the last post.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2012, 08:02 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Matthieu Kovalenko

« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2012, 08:22 »

Yes. Wikipedia aims to keep pages about persons objective, and meet noteworthiness criteria. I understand the EVElopedia character pages are less intended to be a reference work. Roleplay heavily involves self-promotion and making interesting stuff up; just about the opposite of the Wikipedia idea.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2012, 08:58 »

Even so, it's still possible to write these pages to meet most Wikipedia standards. Just because you are writing about your own character does not mean the article cannot be objective.

Focus on the facts that would be available and relevant to the perspective of whoever would be writing the article. The CONCORD (or Megacorp/Navy) official updating your report might take note and want to include that you tend towards certain ship specializations or operate in a certain area, but they're not going to care that you name your ships in a highly provocative and offensive manner or that you make lots of poop jokes with your corpmates or in local. (Unless it makes the ISD news, in which case, lol.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2012, 09:15 »

But can you write about someone else objectively?  :s
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2012, 09:34 »

But can you write about someone else objectively?  :s

I think it would depend on the character/person in question - both the writer and the subject. There are some characters I know I wouldn't be able to write objectively about, and some others I feel I could probably take a good stab at. But by the very nature of our characters being our creations, we know them best, we know the facts about them, and the way they see the world around them. The person best-suited to write about a given (player) character, is the player behind the character, for that reason.

Of course, I would be interested to see how some of these articles would be written if done by third parties. Ask Kyber - I find it interesting to see how people view my characters at times because it gives me a different perspective from my own.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2012, 13:02 »

I was talking on MSN earlier about how it struck me as odd that I'd never gotten to writing one of these. I suppose I could while I'm on break, but effort. He's not very exciting, when it comes down to it.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2012, 13:22 »

This is pretty much my issue.  When you make a character to be boring and (relatively) stable (concerning the circumstances) his history doesn't tend to lend much excitement.  I would write long diatribes about WHY Tib does certain things he's done, such as the obvious, but thats not something people are really going to know IC.  Except maybe my Sansha buddies who have a direct line INTO MY BRAIN.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 03 May 2012, 14:11 »

That is why you are the primary author of your own page.
I was actually thinking about how different a page for Mata might be depending on which of her aunts wrote it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2012, 14:12 »

This is pretty much my issue.  When you make a character to be boring and (relatively) stable (concerning the circumstances) his history doesn't tend to lend much excitement.  I would write long diatribes about WHY Tib does certain things he's done, such as the obvious, but thats not something people are really going to know IC.  Except maybe my Sansha buddies who have a direct line INTO MY BRAIN.

Boring for a capsuleer is often quite insane for baseliners, or from CONCORD/ DED point of view.

Do it.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2012, 14:36 »

To qualify my statement more;

Evelopedia is not Wikipedia, but they share a common design philosophy. Treating Evelopedia as Wikipedia in all instances will simply not work.

In the context of you being the author of your own page, I take this position because many other players will simply not bother to write your page for you. The largest incentive, slandering and debasement, is against Evelopedia policy and an offense that can be removed. It's very uncommon when someone goes through the efforts of writing a page to the benefit of someone else, especially a roleplayer page.

Using my own page as an example, there are a lot of things in there that simply exist in the public domain - public employment record, IGS posts detailing personal life, etcetra. The only quantifiable new information was his Sukuuvestaa 'upbringing'. Healthy speculation on the part of CONCORD was added for fluff purposes. I am the author of that page, because until that point no one else put the effort into creating a Ghost Hunter entry. Others could edit it, but I have particular leeway in deciding if that edit goes against the spirit of the article.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8