Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perhaps The Most Honest Thing I Will Ever Write  (Read 2750 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette

So various events in my life in the past few hours have led me to re-evaluate my feelings towards a lot of my interaction with individuals within communities I am a member of, and instead of searching for excuses and convenient scapegoat individuals upon which I can place blame, I have undergone honest self-examination and found my own behaviour severely wanting. This is probably an extremely bad idea as an EVE Online player, as it will probably give away a lot of useful psychological information about me. However, given that I am also a human being, I feel it would be exceptionally remiss not to share the results of my self-examination with people to whom it is certainly relevant (that's you guys, incidentally). This is not a plea for sympathy, an excuse for my behaviour nor, although it certainly contains an apology, a request for forgiveness. Although I will likely experience no success in convincing any seasoned EVE players of this, it isn't a psychological trick, either. It is precisely what it is, on face value - me talking honestly about myself and certain mistakes I've made.

I am a diagnosed sufferer of an autism-spectrum developmental condition known as Asperger's Syndrome, with which you will almost certainly be familiar. This condition manifests slightly differently in every sufferer, but primarily affects social interaction and certain types of cognition and sensory processing. In my specific case, its primary symptoms are strong social anxiety related to causing offence to those I respect, intense and unrealistic perfectionism and egotistical, dishonest overcompetitiveness. I'm not bringing this up to excuse my behaviour - I'm merely giving you this information as it may inform some of my later explanations. I do, of course, have other personal issues which affect my behaviour towards others but they're neither relevant to EVE nor am I particularly inclined to talk about them.

I have severely mistreated other members of the EVE roleplay community - and, in truth, the larger EVE community in general - because I don't like being wrong. Now, obviously, there are very few people who like being wrong, but to me admitting I'm wrong is exceptionally difficult and painful, moreso perhaps than for you. Being wrong in as ruthlessly competitive an environment as EVE Online is even more difficult for me. The fact remains, however, that I am wrong sometimes. In fact I am very often wrong, moreso in fact than I probably should be, mostly because I refuse to accept advice or contradiction from other people, because it feels like - and in EVE, in a very real way, is actually - an open display of weakness. Now, I'm not alone in my overwhelming desire not to admit error - I mean, take a single look at any thread in CAOD - but the fact is that whether or not I admit it, I make errors and I make them often.

As a compensatory measure, I will very often lash out at those who hold a differing opinion, assuming (and declaring) cognitive or emotional failing on their part. This is particularly evident in any out-of-character discussion in which the Federation is mentioned. I will very often lash out ferociously at those who question the moral, ethical or logical parity of the Federation, and since I said I was being honest, it all comes down to the Federation is the side I picked at the beginning and I want them to win. There isn't any higher, nobler or more logical reasoning for that behaviour - I just say hurtful things to people who question the side I'm on because I don't want to lose (and thus be wrong by dint of having bet on the wrong horse).

A lot of my repressed anger comes from real or perceived personal failings. I have enough money to get by in EVE (at this point in time, about 3.3 billion ISK and roughly the same again in assets), although, to my everlasting chagrin, I'm nowhere near as rich as a seven-year EVE vet by all rights should be. Given certain poor leadership decisions and lack of solid direction my corporation has very few members, almost none of whom are active. I have nowhere near the political, economical or strategic leverage that I either want or feel that I should have, and my frustration towards my own shortcomings externalises itself upon others.

A combination of these two main factors leads to an unpleasant tendency for me to verbally and emotionally abuse others for personal satisfaction, in the belief that they are responsible for my unhappiness and thus they deserve my ire. This is a false belief brought about because it's actually way easier to blame my problems on other people than to accept that they're mostly mine. Given that I am being entirely honest however, I will say that there have been some moments during my time in EVE in which, through no fault of my own, others in the community have treated me with disrespect and contempt that I did not deserve. However, in some circumstances they have forthrightly apologised for this behaviour, and I have on more than one occasion refused to accept these apologies out of spite, because I'd rather hold on to my anger. In truth even I can't fully explain why I do this. It's very stupid. Vikarion and various others who actually had the courage to step up and say sorry, I retroactively accept your respective apologies. This doesn't neccessarily mean we're on good terms, and we might never be again, but it's stupid of me to hold onto conflicts that are basically ancient history.

I will also take out my frustrations on people by using Andreus Ixiris to abuse them in character, as it is much more difficult for people to prove, either to CCP GMs or other roleplayers that it isn't just something my character would do. The nadir of this behaviour was in the case of Silas Vitalia. Silas, I'm sorry. Just because I didn't agree with the way you were roleplaying, it didn't give me the right to treat you in that way.

I have often, in fits of pique, outright stated that I am mentally and morally superior to others on a level that they simply can't admit to themselves, sometimes on a level they can't even comprehend. Put simply, this is fucking stupid. Without immodesty, I'm actually pretty intelligent, but I'm certainly not a genius, nor God's gift to humankind. I apologise if I ever told you I'm simply "better" than you on account of "Because That's The Way It Is Goddamnit".

Most egregiously I have treated those closest to me in the community - people I have met in real life and consider to be true friends, beyond the medium of the internet - in ways that are patently unacceptable. While it's by no means excusable to abuse people who are no more than random strangers on the internet, it's particularly poor form to mistreat people who've given me their trust and loyalty. I will often complain about people I don't like to them, manipulatively attempting to gain their sympathy and agreement. I have, on more than one occasion, verbally taken out my frustration over others in the community on them because they were easy targets who wouldn't hit back. Stitcher, Verone, Vince, I'm really sorry. Your friendship, respect and trust means more to me than my own pride.

Lastly, I'm going to come right out and say it - I rage. I take any loss or defeat quite seriously - not just in EVE, but in TF2, League of Legends, Supreme Commander - heck, just about any game I play. I often lash out angrily at others around me - sometimes blaming them for my own failings, sometimes blaming them for valid failings on their part which are nonetheless inconsistent with the amount of criticism I give. I'm slowly learning to get better at this, but it's a large part of why I simply don't PvP very much at all. Firstly, it's because it puts me in a vulnerable position where I'm very likely to get upset, and secondly, that anger can be exploited by others, to my own detriment and that of my allies. I'm also not very good terrible at it, which exascerbates both of these problems.

Now, I'm going to say I got this way because of EVE Online. I'm not blaming the game - it's the way I've been playing it. It stopped being a game that I played to have fun, and started being a game I played to win - when it's not a game that can be won, nor was I in a particularly good position to do so, compounding my frustration. My obsession with victory - or more specifically, of the outward appearence of generalised superiority over other players - led me to behave in a manner irreconcilable with basic human dignity and ethics.

I'm sorry for that. I'm sorry for all of it.

My apology takes the form of, in large part, my admission of these problems, as well as my promise to try and moderate my future behaviour in a more respectful and thoughtful manner. I cannot promise that I will always succeed, but I'll certainly always try.

It's very hard to admit I'm wrong, and it's damned hard to lose face in one of the most ruthless and unforgiving video games in existence, but I would rather this game be an awesome fun adventure that I can share with friends than a game I constantly try (and fail) to win while being sad and alone.

- Andrew

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
Re: Perhaps The Most Honest Thing I Will Ever Write
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2012, 03:22 »

We still love your face mate  ;)

Vikarion

« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2012, 03:55 »

Damn.  :eek:

Well, you sure haven't lost face by me. We're good, as far as I'm concerned.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2012, 05:35 »

We are who we are, and there's not a person alive who isn't flawed in some way. The trick, as far as I'm concerned, is to know yourself and your flaws, try to compensate for them... but if you find somebody who judges you only on your flaws despite your best efforts, then it's okay to ignore them.

I had a good friendship collapse not too long ago. We'd been good mates for years, and then spent a year as pretty awful housemates. I tend to underestimate just how much mess I make, he tended to overestimate it. Both of us were too stubborn to reach a compromise and despite my best efforts to bury the hatchet after moving out, he won't even talk to me now. That, however, is his problem not mine. Forgiveness and tolerance aren't easy virtues to cultivate, and he hasn't.

TL;DR - you don't need to apologise for being who you are. "The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2012, 05:38 by Stitcher »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2012, 13:04 »

For my part, the only IC disagreement any of my toons (BB) has had with yours was the whole fallout from an age-old war. Far as IC opinions are concerned that issue was dealt with long ago.

The only OOC disagreement I've ever had with your TOON is one I've never told you about because I felt it's not my place to bother you with saying 'your doing it wrong' in an OOC manner. Andreus is a very outspoken verbal beater of all things amarrian, constantly telling them how much they fail due their beliefs and actions etc.

While at the same time he has (apparently) maintained IC friendships with a number of people including at least two pirate leaders. The apparent support of their actions makes andreus somewhat of a hypocrite, because if we are to quantify suffering across New Eden the pirates he support or don't mind has cause about as much shit as the amarr has - where is the bitching on them for their deeds? I always chalked this up to a well-designed character-flaw on your your part as a player.

And that sums up about all disagreements I've ever held that concern you. Both are based on your toon - what my toons though of him, and what I as a player thinks of him. As for you...

Obviously I'd be exaggerating if I said your post here made it seem like you had a pair of balls the size of Jupiter and Uranus, but I still think a self-confession of this kind needs some honest bravery. My interactions with you have been very limited, mostly back in Duty. and when I was a brief member of MXD, but you came off as a decent guy, with a competitive spirit and a drive to reach goals. I will admit that even after leaving and the ever-longer time since I was directly involved with anything you do, I've kept and eye on your corp and actions, and I was happy to see your corp grow, and a bit sad when it dropped from 11 people and slowly settled on 5 at the time.

Your post here answered a few of those questions, but here's some advice, perhaps... if your still want to play EVE for whatever reason, why not see if there is any other group you could be part of and help grow? MXD may be your corp, but if you are directly frustrated by it's progress personally and you know this is due an apparent lack of skill in leadership on your part, you may perform better as a great helper and follower, and not as the groups direct leader.

You and I have not had any falling-outs or issues or conflicts with one-another, and your apology is not intended for me. I just felt like responding. People can't change who they are when they are born, but through our lives self-improvement is fully possible. The first step for that is identifying flaws, then working to better them. You did not chose to be born with Asperger's, but you did chose to better yourself. Good luck with that effort, Andrew.

Alex

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2012, 17:39 »

SPERRRRRG!

J/k. You sound normal to me.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 04 Mar 2012, 19:07 »

It's always cathartic to be this honest.

I've always liked you, Andy, though I appreciate that our characters have never had a great deal to disagree on.

Trying to make amends like this is a great thing, and I respect you even more for doing it.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #7 on: 04 Mar 2012, 20:17 »

Lord knows I can’t comment on pretence. But what you said and how you said it speaks volumes about your character in my opinion.  Best of luck.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 04 Mar 2012, 22:18 »

Honesty like this should always be respected. 

I hope it was a weight lifted from you.

Youre fine mate.  You care, and not enough people do that.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2012, 11:28 »

From another diagnosed Aspie, I've spent my time among many people with the same condition and other levels on the ASD. I've met people I got on with to others who downright infuriated the fuck out of me, and I'll be blunt honest with you now:

You're definitely one of the most easiest to get on with, possibly because we're both a pair of rabid hyperactive chipmunks on caffeine but I can empathise with your thought process on several levels with your approach to gaming. In short a lot of it I'll simply say "ditto"

I can appreciate how difficult a post like this is to make, so kudos o7
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2012, 13:02 »

That can't have been easy to write but I think you'll find the results are increased understanding and empathy from most people. That said of course you really don't need a formally diagnosed mental condition to act like an ass over eve and I'm sure on a long enough timeline (and nine years is plenty long) most of us have managed it so you are in good company. Anyway, you and I buried our hatchets in game a few months ago so all is good - let me know if you want to play supreme commander sometime - still in my eyes one of the best rts games ever made :)

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 06 Mar 2012, 16:34 »

let me know if you want to play supreme commander sometime - still in my eyes one of the best rts games ever made :)

What's depressing is that even the people who made it didn't seem to have confidence in their own game, given that they turned the sequel into Starcraft.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #12 on: 08 Mar 2012, 17:39 »

I still fondly remember the party you hosted at The Skyhook. I thought it was really too bad things turned into you being banned. I honestly can't remember why, but it's been a while, and I easily forget such things.

You are very brave for writing this, and what you did is the first step of many that will lead towards a better life I'm sure. It can be a great relief to know what is wrong with oneself, why you sometimes act the way you do. It's not a personal failing. A lot of people act 'badly' in their life and never come to the point where they realize their attitude does not benefit them nor those they care about. It is the absolute worst to admit you are wrong. I am a perfectionist, to the point where this ruins things, and I used to be totally shattered when I found out I was wrong. Today? It still hurts, but I can admit I made mistakes, I learn from them, and quite often I succeed at not making them again.

*hugs* You're awesome in your own way. Focus on that awesome. EVE needs a guy like you.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 Mar 2012, 18:34 »

You have never annoyed me as a person (as aopposed to the character). Indeed on the rare occasions I have met you in person I have enjoyed the experience.

EVE would be less fun place to be without you, and your somewhat over-exuberant alter ego.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Jev North

« Reply #14 on: 09 Mar 2012, 06:41 »

Hey! I remember arguing with Andreus on the IGS. Good times, good times.

I've seen this weird focus on winning everything and never appearing "weak" in public more often. It struck me as a silly way to paint yourself (general you) into a corner. Even if you are half as cool as you claim to be now, eventually life will catch up with you. Giving yourself and others license to derp is a great step towards mental peace, and learning to enjoy the game for its own sake.

Edit:
You sound normal to me.
^This

As the great philosopher Lagann once put it, we all herp, and once we herp, we must derp.

Though it takes a little wisdom to accept that. So maybe even a small cut above normal.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2012, 08:07 by Jev North »
Pages: [1] 2