Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Both Black Ops and Titans create artificial wormholes with their respective jump portal generators?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Templar One [[Spoilers]]  (Read 38994 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Templar One [[Spoilers]]
« on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:22 »

So, because of public demand, I'll start assembling Templar One's major plot revelations here, along with various political forces underway in most of the governments of New Eden.

The Templars are the Super-soldiers the Amarr Empire seeks to create based on Sleeper technology. The Amarrians were able to penetrate a Sleeper facility, and steal an intact specimin of the Sleeper race, at great cost. However, the brain of the Sleepers was the key. They had developed a fifth lobe which allowed them to transmit state data from their mind into virtuality, and back again, without any additional technology. This would be used as the gateway to having soldiers recloned with their minds transferred as well, allowing for the waging of perpetual war with accelerating, accumulating combat experience.

Jamyl Sarum seeks to use these Templars to conquer the entire known universe, and 'bring an end to war'. However, she has been betrayed.

It appears that the Sleepers are in fact a sub-race of Jovians, called the Architects. Because the Jovians, a technologically unsophisticated branch of humanity during their time, were unable to cross the vast distances of space using their primitive warp drives, quickly, the Architects were to be the ones to assemble stargates upon arrival of the Jove to the Heaven constellation. The Architects were placed in cryogenic stasis, with their minds in virtual reality during the long interstellar warps of their sleeper-ships. While in virtual reality, or the Construct, as it is called, they could communicate, interact.

The Enheduanni were the Jove assigned to watch over the Architects during the trip. And ensure that they were reanimated upon arrival to their destination to construct the colonies and space infrastructure needed for the main Jove population.

After the Fall, the Architects had established vastly better virtual realities that could simulate all of the known universe, within a time-dilated virtual construct. This way, they could do scientific experiments tens or hundreds of times faster than normally possible, with no restrictions on experimental equipment or other resources. The result was that the Architect subculture of the Jove became more technologically advanced than the rest of the Jove Empire, and the Enheduanni acted as the gatekeepers to that knowledge, as they were the only ones capable of bringing the Architects in and out of stasis.

The Enheduanni fashioned themselves as gods, the guardians of technological advancement and progress in Jove Society. Meanwhile, the Architects entered a technological singularity within their virtuality. When the Jovian Disease struck the Empire, hundreds of millions of Jove entered the Architect's construct.

However, when the Diesease Started, the Architects and the Enheduanni left Heaven constellation towards the site of the present Jove Empire. The Jovians believed that the Architects should have been able to find a cure for the disease, but they claimed that they could not. The main population of Jovians chased the Architects during their Migration, but the Architects would no longer share their technological advancements with the Jove; They only used it to support their migration.

It is implied that they then left the cluster to what is now known as w-space. "they took measures to ensure we couldn't follow them at all"

After the architects left Heaven, the Enheduanni went on to attempt to manipulate humanity, to bring them to the same utopia the Architects had been in. Vak'Atioth was the result of Enheduanni intervention, as well as the resurgence of the Minmatar Elders.

Jovians are 'born' as adults, they are brought into the world based on the collective will of the entire population. Genes are selected from a database that is passed down through the generations, custom-built to meet the needs of the present time. Because of this cultural norm, the Architects implemented a protocol: only those with human bodies could enter the Construct, and those with bodies to return to, could leave it.

The Other, the alien virtual intelligence that infected Jamyl Sarum following the succession trials, was the first virtual-born creation of the Architects, and thus, had no body to return to. The Enheduanni were unsure whether or not to let this new life form to continue, but many more were created alongside of the Other. These artificial intelligences warned the Architects that the Construct was not true reality, causing a social schism within the virtuality. The Enheduanni, those who had been entrusted to guide the Architects in and out of the virtual world, and manage their perception of it, didn't destroy the Other, and let him survive.

The Other seeks to overthrow the Enheduanni and their custodianship of the Construct. The other and his other artificial intelligences seized control of most of the Construct's universe, and now every immortal soldier created by the Amarr Empire, the Templars has a mind of an Other supporter, or an Architect that has been stripped away from the Construct, driven insane by the horror of being seperated from everything he has known.

However, because of the primal, primitive and incomplete nature of the Other, his war to overthrow the Enheduanni will come at great cost to mankind, and might even destroy the known universe and end mankind forever.

In terms of real-world politics. . .

Major political themes: The Ishukone Corporation has become a pariah within the Caldari State. Mens Reppola feels pressed on every side by ever constricting machinations of Tibus Heth. Ishukone Corporation citizens are conscripted and sent into battle with the Gallente Federation, and often die, depleting the Corporation's manpower.

In the story, Tibus Heth revokes all Ishukone's enrollment in the Science and Trade school to deplete their intellectual power as well. This is done as a personal assault agains Mens Reppola, whose daughter was enrolled in the school, and an attempt to force him to step down to preserve his relationship with his family.

Eventually, because of events in the Amarr Empire and the deployment of the Templars to the temperate world of Amamake, called Pike's Landing, Mens Reppola sees an opportunity to gain the technological advantage against Tibus Heth and safeguard his corporation. Reppola mobilizes Ishukone's entire military might and conscripts 25% of its population, and moves to Pike's Landing to seize the Templars for reverse engineering. This leads to a colossal engagement between the Amarrian force there and Mordu's Legion, Federation, and Ishukone coalition, which were seeking the same information about the immortal soldier technology.

Subsequent to this, the Legion/Fed/Ishu coalition arrange a bargain to assemble their information about the location of the only surviving immortal soldier, Templar One, recover him from Pike's Landing, and reverse engineering and disseminate the super-soldier technology across the Cluster, to preserve the balance of power against the Amarr Empire and the Empress's/Others schemes of domination. It is likely that the Ishukone will be the only of the State megacorps to make use of this technology.

Other cool PF tidbits. . .

The Minmatar are seeking to find a way to escape New Eden, under the influence of the Elders. This is called the Skymother project.

The location of the main Kameiras conditioning/research program is on the planet Hexandria in the Khanid kingdom, also known as Irmalin II. This planet was raided by the Valklears, lead by General Kintreb. General Kintreb's command is the only one left to defend Core Freedom, the space elevator terminus and colony on Pike's Landing in Amamake, the site of the main battle of the story. General Kintreb is the one who got Mordu's legion involved against the Empire, tying them into the story.

The planet four in the Tsukuras system is called Myoklar, and is a major Echelon Entertainment resort-planet. Haatakan Oritsuu attempted to have Tibus Heth assassinated there, using a squad of Mordu's Legionnaires. However, this was a failure due to CONCORD intervention, where they transmitted details of the attack to Tibus Heth to ensure his cooperation against immortal soldier technology proliferation.

THANATOS is a CONCORD special agent artificial intelligence placed within a bio-engineered clone. These agents would conduct the special business of the Inner Circle when needed, including an act of war conducted on the surface of Pike's Landing against the Gallente Federation, where THANATOS murders an entire platoon of special forces that were seeking intel about the Templars on the planet.

There is much more info, so if you see something I missed, just add it here in this thread.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: Templar One [[Spoilers]]
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:32 »

Thank you

I kinda like the explanation on the sleepers

Not so sure on the concept of tormented virtual beings attached to the brains of soldiers though.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2012, 07:47 »

Mordu's Legion has lost most of its ties with the Caldari State. After the fall of Caldari Prime, Mordu's disagreement with Heth's actions and policies made him place a large bounty on the State Executor's head. After this occured, Mordu's Legion lost all contracts with the Caldari State. Instead, Mordu's Legion has been contracting out its crew to the Federal Defence Union, while the events of the book also detail a closer tie to the Republic Fleet. No mention of the Intaki Agreement.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2012, 08:24 »

I predict that we will one day see a rogue Thanatos agent running around IGS.  (And it won't be me, so get that idea right out of your heads. :) )

I also like the explanation of the Sleepers and the Enheduanni -- even though I think the latter were idiots for not destroying the Other. I'll have to read my copy of the book to figure out how they rationalized it.

The explanation of the Templars and the Amarrian role in developing them makes me twitchy, though.  Were they going to create more of them in a conventional (i.e. like the Kamieras) manner?  And nobody said: 'these are abominations that must be destroyed'?  What, was the strike team 100% percent Kingdom Khanid and they said 'oooh, look at the shiny new implants on these suckas!  Must study!'?  Another reason I'll have to read the book.

As an aside, I'm in a weird way kind of happy that the DUSTies aren't just the result of advances in existing neural storage/cloning technology (frex: micro burners implanted into the skull that are linked to dead man switches, switches that can be triggered remotely by mission control).1

1 "in a weird way" = "it means I don't  feel like I have to get a better tinfoil hat".
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2012, 09:39 by Vieve »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2012, 08:53 »

Meh, I will stick with my own theory. It is much better connected with elements actually found in game. ;)

Pondering... Maybe that was why Ishukone operatives aided by Gallente marines busted into A'J Site One.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2012, 08:59 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:10 »

So the only faction in the State getting the DUST tech, and subsequently the only group eligible to play for in the console game, are the traitors to the State.

Awesome. /o\
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:29 »

So the only faction in the State getting the DUST tech, and subsequently the only group eligible to play for in the console game, are the traitors to the State.

Awesome. /o\

They're still mercs (of a sort). That, coupled with tech's ability to leak, spread and get around, I don't think they'll be any huge issues.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:34 »

Awesome. /o\

Thing is, who is and is not traitors to the State can be debated, for quite some time.

As for the plot-twists in this book, it smells of Tony G a long way. I'm STILL not sorry he lost his job.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:59 »

Tibus Heth has stated he doesn't give a rat's ass about immortal soldier technology, or capsuleers in general, as most of his populist appeal has to do with the common everyman, and not advanced supersoldier technology.

So, it's not just a matter of him not getting first picks at the technology, its that the provists are ideologically opposed to it.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:39 »

What Tibus Heth and the provists think and do is entirely up to CCP.

But it appears odd that Caldari dusties initially all are traitors to the State. Especially as Caldari are normally sold to new players by their value on honor and loyalty.

Still, let us see how it turns out.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2012, 11:44 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:43 »

the templar series of immortal soldiers are prototypes.

the Roden/ Ishukone/ Mordu's ones will possibly not involve sleeper doodads.

also, I think the templar series of things is The Other's idea, rather than Jamyl & super teen amarr science force's idea.
\o/

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:50 »

the templar series of immortal soldiers are prototypes.

the Roden/ Ishukone/ Mordu's ones will possibly not involve sleeper doodads.

also, I think the templar series of things is The Other's idea, rather than Jamyl & super teen amarr science force's idea.

Yeah both of those tidbits are buried in my original post I think, apologize for its lengthiness XD

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2012, 11:50 »

I mean, its ok.  But I cant help but read over it and think "none of this is necessary for compelling scifi".

I wish the factions had the chance to act like humans rather than mere mortals to virtual gods. 

(sigh)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2012, 13:12 »

Awesome. /o\

Thing is, who is and is not traitors to the State can be debated, for quite some time.

I...

No it can't? >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2012, 13:44 »

Well yes Senn, yes it can :D

But not in here. Given the info provided in Templar One, how we know Tibus and Ishokune to work from before and etc. I'd say the title of traitors is subjective to a few different viewpoints. We can debate this in mail if you want, send me one with the arguments for Ishokune's treason and I'll reply with counter-arguments.

In a more general sense... as far as I'm concerned all changes made by Tony to the EVE PF should be retconed out and considered non-facts. The way his work has twisted about several factions with cliché choices of actions for all of them and injected his own personal, RL opinions on many things in the universe is frankly insulting to me. It belittles the different factions, kills nuances and shades of Grey and hammers down all of them into insulting little fucking boxes where people serve generalized roles. I also despise the idea of the Edunniahateverthefuck as a cheesy plot-device, much like the broker, but the broker was not tony's creation, AFAIK.

I could ramble for hours, but there is no point. The plot devices and actions in Templar One is another poor move on top of those seen in Empyrian age and others. On it's own I'm sure it was an enjoyable book, but as far as the PF contribution goes I am not impressed in the least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14