Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Templar One [[Spoilers]]  (Read 38996 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Templar One [[Spoilers]]
« Reply #195 on: 03 Aug 2012, 06:48 »

(Or Téa for that matter. The rest of the damn Retford crew showed up, why not her?)

In the kitchen, making everyone a sandwich obviously (hurrhurr edgy TonyG joke)

I agree though that it was an enjoyable read, despite the acute PF errors (all Mannar on Seyllin I wot). My primary issue was more in personal taste, with how everyone spoke like Hollywood actors and a lot of VERY trivial things were Americanized. The disposition, too. All too Hollywood/Michael Bay. They seemed virtually identical to one another in how they spoke and carried themselves, except that Jamaican Mannar I BE A FOREIGNER MON character. Why he was the only one that sounded "foreign" is beyond me.

But that's just my own taste (I particularly emphasize stuff like body language in my RP for example) so not gonna force that on anyone.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #196 on: 27 Aug 2012, 18:22 »

Spoiler request: what's THANATOS?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #197 on: 27 Aug 2012, 19:34 »

From memory, because I don't have my copy with me:
[Spoiler]
A sub-unit of CONCORD that's busy keeping an eye on things and trying to make sure that everything proceeds as it should, regardless of the short-sighted politics of the various polities, and particularly the Pod Pilots. Like CONCORD spies and secret police, only telling themselves they're doing it for the good of the cluster, instead of personal power. Of course, without personal power, how can you stop things going to hell?

They dropped an operative into the mess in Amamake in a  drop-ship that was invisible to everything except visible spectrum, who proceeded to wander around kicking the arse of anything it ran into, while at the same time having little actual effect on things.

Of course, my memory might be faulty.
[/spoiler]
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Reyd Karris

« Reply #198 on: 27 Aug 2012, 20:44 »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThanatosGambit

It... it uh, makes more sense if you read the particular passage...

:bash:

Also: She's definitely Russian, possibly a Khanid.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2012, 20:48 by Reyd Karris »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #199 on: 27 Aug 2012, 20:56 »

Also, since it's the sort of thing that keeps coming up about slavery:

[spoiler]
"The obvious implication was that the Elders were winding down their rescue missions in the Amarr Empire. There were still millions of Minmatar slaves in their service, with dozens more added every day as the two empires fought an ugly war of attrition across dozens of colonies in the losec worlds."

I may have got this out of context, since my reading of EVE novels typically involves some blend of jet lag, sleep deprivation and illness, but I don't think I did.

Part of me wants to use this in all sorts of contradictory ways. There's slave-taking in faction war, despite supposed Empire law about that?! It's only dozens a day?! Other parts of me think that the numbers just don't add up and are being used rhetorically, especially only "millions" of Minmatar slaves in the service of the Amarr Empire when we're still told that nearly a third of all Minmatar, the most numerous race of New Eden, are enslaved within the huge Amarr Empire.

But it's one of the passages I think about when deciding how cynically to treat FW.
[/spoiler]

Reyd Karris

« Reply #200 on: 27 Aug 2012, 21:49 »

Also, since it's the sort of thing that keeps coming up about slavery:

[spoiler]
"The obvious implication was that the Elders were winding down their rescue missions in the Amarr Empire. There were still millions of Minmatar slaves in their service, with dozens more added every day as the two empires fought an ugly war of attrition across dozens of colonies in the losec worlds."

I may have got this out of context, since my reading of EVE novels typically involves some blend of jet lag, sleep deprivation and illness, but I don't think I did.

Part of me wants to use this in all sorts of contradictory ways. There's slave-taking in faction war, despite supposed Empire law about that?! It's only dozens a day?! Other parts of me think that the numbers just don't add up and are being used rhetorically, especially only "millions" of Minmatar slaves in the service of the Amarr Empire when we're still told that nearly a third of all Minmatar, the most numerous race of New Eden, are enslaved within the huge Amarr Empire.

But it's one of the passages I think about when deciding how cynically to treat FW.
[/spoiler]
My guess is that it was rhetorical.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #201 on: 27 Aug 2012, 23:09 »

Rhetorical, could refer to the crews of Republic Fleet vessels shot down in Imperial space, could refer to slaves born... I'd not place to much weight on something that vague.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #202 on: 01 Sep 2012, 11:08 »

Rhetorical, could refer to the crews of Republic Fleet vessels shot down in Imperial space, could refer to slaves born... I'd not place to much weight on something that vague.

There is another option.  Did the Empire ever officially recognize the Republic? 

Because if it didnt, as far as the Empire is concerned, there isnt any "Republic" per se, but instead there are rebellious Imperial provinces filled with revolting slaves.  But its still the "Empire", as far as Imperial law, policy and diplomacy is concerned. 

That way the Empire could still say "it is illegal for us to take slaves from outside the Empire!" while still raiding the Republic for slaves. And its a true statement, from the Amarrian world view.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2012, 11:11 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #203 on: 01 Sep 2012, 12:34 »

Amarr recognised the Republic (unhappily) as part of the formation of CONCORD.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]