Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Fiction Portal and New Evelopedia  (Read 21352 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Fiction Portal and New Evelopedia
« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2011, 20:28 »

As we work through this, let's pull out snippets to go in Backstage's "Did you know... ?" rotation.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2011, 08:03 »

Soekheviti is again in Sol?
http://eve-search.com/thread/1314015-0/page/29#856

"Someone equated it with Sukhavati, which was the abode of Amitābha. He is depicted as being red in color, and when not alone, he's depicted as having two lesser companions. Mars, anyone?"

Even if it can't be conclusively linked to Mars, the timeline entry specifically says they settle *on* Soekheviti and that it is a planet. That means it is one of the terrestrial planets - so Mercury, Venus, Earth or Mars. Earth'd be out of the running, so even then it'd be a 33.33...% of it being Mars. Mercury is very unsuitable for colonization and long-term habitation, so that leaves Mars and Venus. The caustic pressure-cooker climate of Venus' surface also makes it extremely hostile. Thus, if you're going to settle *on* a planet in the Sol system it's gotta be Mars.

It's possible for argument's sake to suggest that the Terrans had geoengineering capabilities at that time able to make Venus or even Mercury habitable, but I'd rather go for the path of least resistance. (Also, one could argue that the first Soekheviti things were written back when Pluto was still a planet, but that ball of snow and gravel is even less suitable for living on...)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 23 Dec 2011, 13:19 »

The assumption is that it is a planet and not a world.  The two terms could be lost/merged as a language develops.  This would leave open the possibility that Soekheviti is actually a moon of Jupiter or Saturn.  Some of Saturn's larger moons have companion moons at their Lagrange points.

But since the Forgotten Age is not-IC, most will assume it is Mars.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 23 Dec 2011, 15:42 »

The timeline is word of god from an OOC perspective. If it wasn't, the debate whether humanity all came from the same point of origin wouldn't exist.

Thus Soekheviti being a planet isn't something that would have been warped in translation, just like Caldari Prime being bought by a corporation for colonization or Gallente Prime being settled by people from Tau-Ceti isn't something warped in translation - because it's not known in the actual setting.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 23 Dec 2011, 15:44 »

I am disappointed that more people are not talking about the new content in the FP. No one wants to get into deep discussions about: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Caldari_Spirituality ?

Or no one's decided that the information here is pretty awesome: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Hueromont ?

Or is everyone still digesting all the cool stuff on there?

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 23 Dec 2011, 16:01 »

I am disappointed that more people are not talking about the new content in the FP. No one wants to get into deep discussions about: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Caldari_Spirituality ?

Or no one's decided that the information here is pretty awesome: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Hueromont ?

Or is everyone still digesting all the cool stuff on there?

One does not discuss on Backstage. But pretty awesome, yes.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #36 on: 23 Dec 2011, 16:15 »

Where does one discuss then? I must be out of the loop for discussions.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 23 Dec 2011, 17:09 »

Have been discussing with, y'know, the people I discuss things with. One of whom pointed out a Matari dance style that had been mentioned in a Chronicle I missed.

Also have houseguests with baby, holiday, beautiful weather (no irony at all: my city on a good day is stunning, and we're having a string of those) and slightly different priorities that involve dipping into the new PF rather than plunging.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #38 on: 23 Dec 2011, 17:21 »

Sadly I only plunge. And am not good at bringing up debate points, merely arguing them endlessly.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #40 on: 23 Dec 2011, 20:17 »

Where does one discuss then? I must be out of the loop for discussions.

We could have an awkward discussion via PMs if you like. I'm very pleased and intrigued by the compiled Caldari religious belief structure. Really dig it.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #41 on: 23 Dec 2011, 21:02 »

I'd love to see more discussion here. I realised after I'd posted that that might not be clear: it's just that most of the discussion I have had so far has been elsewhere.

I understand the power the old Cold Wind chronicle had for many at the time, but there's an element of Herko-ness to it that it find uncomfortable. I also find the gendering of the winds and "Heart-of-the-Forest" awkward: a society which comes up with that mythos "should" have a particular view of gender roles which I hadn't seen explicitly elsewhere in Caldari background.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 23 Dec 2011, 21:26 »

I'm not sure I understand the problem of there being a "Herko-ness" to anything. I always felt he was good at evoking the mixed horror/beauty that was the EVE setting. He influenced my perception of the EVE universe heavily, at least, and I know he did several others as well.

As for the gender roles, we unfortunately only see a single female spirit. So it's difficult to draw gender conclusions too greatly simply from that one example, especially as Heart-of-the-Forest is depicted as both protected by the Winds and harmed by them, while being a protector and a teacher. The gender relations in most of the empires are poorly defined anyway, aside from a few references in character creation that don't really paint much of a whole picture. In general, New Eden appears to have almost utter equality between the genders. Considering the societal level of New Eden, plus the age of the religion, it doesn't seem too surprising that there might be gender roles defined in it that are not supported in the modern society.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 23 Dec 2011, 21:29 »

The timeline is word of god from an OOC perspective. If it wasn't, the debate whether humanity all came from the same point of origin wouldn't exist.

Thus Soekheviti being a planet isn't something that would have been warped in translation, just like Caldari Prime being bought by a corporation for colonization or Gallente Prime being settled by people from Tau-Ceti isn't something warped in translation - because it's not known in the actual setting.
No disagreement, although I think it would have been cool if it had been a moon of Saturn.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 23 Dec 2011, 21:38 »

Except I trip and stumble in the very first sentence!

Hueromont (meaning “Hollow Mountain”) is a megalopolis located on Gallente Prime and is the ninth largest city in the Gallente Federation, with over thirty-six million inhabitants in the greater metropolitan area.

The 9th Largest City in the whole Gallente Federation is only slightly large than modern Tokyo?

Maybe most people don't live planetside.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around how a major metro on any New Eden core world would be only slightly bigger than Earth's largest metros today.

It gets back to this idea of scale when writing Eve's fiction.   :bash:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11