Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the ISHAEKA Reports warned about the Sansha Nation Incursions possiblily occuring.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Fiction Portal and New Evelopedia  (Read 21350 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Fiction Portal and New Evelopedia
« Reply #150 on: 12 Jan 2012, 13:32 »

Like it's been said before, it's not realistic except in the fact that it is a common conception.

Tony is writing for the lowest-common-denominator reader.

"Not all corrupt governments are theocracies, but all theocracies are corrupt governments."
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #151 on: 12 Jan 2012, 15:27 »

Like it's been said before, it's not realistic except in the fact that it is a common conception.

"Not all corrupt governments are theocracies, but all theocracies are corrupt governments."

Im not sure its unrealistic.  But its certainly cliched. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #152 on: 12 Jan 2012, 22:47 »

Im not sure its unrealistic.  But its certainly cliched.

I don't know what the word I'm looking for to describe it...

It's stereotypical to an extent that insults the readers and RPers alike.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #153 on: 13 Jan 2012, 05:03 »

What, I can't call the general populace of the EVE-O forums names anymore?

I don't know what the word I'm looking for to describe it...

It's stereotypical to an extent that insults the readers and RPers alike.

My ranting aside, I think the phrase you're looking for is 'dumbed down'

Jev North

« Reply #154 on: 13 Jan 2012, 05:17 »

I only know what I've been told, but at first blush, it seems like less shoe-horning in of an anti-religion message, and more shoe-horning in a stupid, marketing-said-it-was-required girl-on-girl action scene without regard for the consequences. Either way, somewhat saddened, though I'll reserve judgment until I've read the whole thing.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #155 on: 24 Jan 2012, 16:34 »

Abraxas has added a good way to keep track on what updates is happening to the Fiction Portal here.

While I like the article on the Jovian disease for example, it also lessens my motivation for participating in the A'J Project as apparently the Fiction Portal team does not appear to credit players for any ideas of theirs that might get picked up upon and added to the Portal (also ideas presented outside of A'J). I can partly understand the reason for avoiding this (players characters have rarely made it into EVE canon), but it does seems rather wasteful to try and put together little pieces of in game lore bits into some meaningful theory when instead I could sign up for ISD Mercury, make stuff up, get Abaraxas to approve it and bam it would be Prime Fiction. :|
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #156 on: 24 Jan 2012, 21:31 »

Abraxas has added a good way to keep track on what updates is happening to the Fiction Portal here.

Nice.  Really digging the new articles on Amash-Akura and Fed religions (mostly the section on modern/current stuff).  Lot of material and some interesting tidbits in both of those.  Jovian disease and HoloVision articles are also informative.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #157 on: 25 Jan 2012, 16:34 »

The article on Body Mining raises some interesting questions on the demand and worth of biomass.  According to the article, it's economically feasible to go out into space, retrieve corpses, and sell the biomass for profit.  Simply visiting an old battlefield and sifting through the wreckage is in itself dangerous business, not just for raiders and pirates but the basic hazards of sifting space debris and spent munitions.

The article notes that "biomass of any quality" has a value, and can be sold for some amount of profit.  Having said that, it's hard to imagine an economy where going out and salvaging corpses is more practical than growing moss in a tube, grinding it up, and selling the resultant 'biomass.'  Perhaps biomass is a technical term, referring to a specific composition of nutrients and chemicals associated with recycled human bodies?  The wiki item entry on Biomass suggests otherwise.

Or perhaps I'm still thinking with an Earth paradigm, where growing organic matter is far more trivial a task than space travel.  Perhaps in interstellar New Eden, flying a starship out and picking up dead people is more economical than running a greenhouse.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #158 on: 25 Jan 2012, 16:51 »

There's stuff the human body generates that can't really be reproduced anywhere else by nature. Unique neurochemicals, etc. I imagine getting it from the source would be the only feasible option.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #159 on: 25 Jan 2012, 16:52 »

The article on Body Mining raises some interesting questions on the demand and worth of biomass.  According to the article, it's economically feasible to go out into space, retrieve corpses, and sell the biomass for profit.  Simply visiting an old battlefield and sifting through the wreckage is in itself dangerous business, not just for raiders and pirates but the basic hazards of sifting space debris and spent munitions.

The article notes that "biomass of any quality" has a value, and can be sold for some amount of profit.  Having said that, it's hard to imagine an economy where going out and salvaging corpses is more practical than growing moss in a tube, grinding it up, and selling the resultant 'biomass.'  Perhaps biomass is a technical term, referring to a specific composition of nutrients and chemicals associated with recycled human bodies?  The wiki item entry on Biomass suggests otherwise.

Or perhaps I'm still thinking with an Earth paradigm, where growing organic matter is far more trivial a task than space travel.  Perhaps in interstellar New Eden, flying a starship out and picking up dead people is more economical than running a greenhouse.

This is a subject I've given some thought to, with varying results.

My speculation points that recovering human biomass is much faster than growing human biomass, because you have to provide a wide variety of resources to grow healthy human biomass. Acceleration methods may lower the quality or compromise vat-grown human biomass, making the turn over rate for usable 'adult' biomass rather difficult. Without a clear understanding of how the biomass is reused, some things like the brain might also impede vat growing. If you grow the body but the brain is little more than neurological soup, it might be of substantially lower quality. Or perfect for cloning.

I personally think it's rather out of sync with itself. Even at our current level of modern understanding, vat growing enormous quantities of human biomass seems to be extremely simple.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #160 on: 25 Jan 2012, 17:01 »

I've thought about this as well.  And the main thing that made sense to me isnt so much the human bio-mass itself. but the human digestible proteins and such that make up the biomass.  Humanity in the EVE cluster exists in various alien environs.  Its totally conjecture, but it would make sense if much of the alien flora and fauna that makes up a lot of EVE's ecosystems would likely not be palatable to the human body, or at least not optimal.  This would make "human grade biomass" a fairly valuable thing, especially in areas where agriculture is difficult or non-existence. 

This is a subject I've given some thought to, with varying results.

My speculation points that recovering human biomass is much faster than growing human biomass, because you have to provide a wide variety of resources to grow healthy human biomass. Acceleration methods may lower the quality or compromise vat-grown human biomass, making the turn over rate for usable 'adult' biomass rather difficult. Without a clear understanding of how the biomass is reused, some things like the brain might also impede vat growing. If you grow the body but the brain is little more than neurological soup, it might be of substantially lower quality. Or perfect for cloning.

I personally think it's rather out of sync with itself. Even at our current level of modern understanding, vat growing enormous quantities of human biomass seems to be extremely simple.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2012, 22:06 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #161 on: 25 Jan 2012, 17:19 »

There's stuff the human body generates that can't really be reproduced anywhere else by nature. Unique neurochemicals, etc. I imagine getting it from the source would be the only feasible option.

I had considered this, which is why I thought 'biomass' might be a technical term.  If it specifically refers to the chemicals and nutrients obtained from recycling humans, then there'd be a good reason to treat it is as distinct from general organic matter (and thus more valuable).  But the use of the term 'biomass' elsewhere in the game (and in the wiki itself) suggests that it's a catch-all term that applies to both recycled human corpses and processed plankton.

It's possible that there's some kind of conflated or overlapping terminology, but that would be remarkably obtuse.  Especially for said 'Body Miners' and biotechnicians who'd quickly adopt a distinct term for the more valuable stuff.

That seems intuitive.  Vat-growing biomass benefits from economics of scale, quality control, scaleability, and predictable yields.  In short, all the benefits that puts industrial processes at an advantage over foraging and recycling.  If we were dealing with a scarcity, then there'd certainly be major benefits to salvaging, but that's hardly the case here.  Human beings in New Eden are a renewable resource.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #162 on: 25 Jan 2012, 17:46 »

Try synthesizing dopamine, and tell me that again :p

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #163 on: 07 Feb 2012, 19:02 »

There are different qualities of biomass.

From the Cloning article:

"Modern methods allow pretty much any kind of biomass to be used. The best clones are constructed from human cadavers, but anything from animal carcasses to organic soups can be used. Using lower quality materials requires more extensive structuring and chemical processes and introduces a greater risk for error in the transfer of the customer's features. "
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]