Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Industrial "Killboard"  (Read 8319 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Industrial "Killboard"
« on: 11 Dec 2011, 19:41 »

Sometimes, us industrial types was to measure our epeen as well.  Now, we may not be able to easily export killmails, but we have a wealth of API information which could potential be used to create comparable metrics without revealing all of our sekrets!

I was thinking about what would be good measures of comparison and how to track it.  I was thinking of having an API filter out a corporation's or individuals wallet information to create a "market" efficiency/profit measure (ISK earned/ISK spent).  For builder types, maybe something that scanned the same information for jobs ran.

Thoughts?  Doesn't matter, not pewpew?

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Industrial "Killboard"
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2011, 20:46 »

Tbh, some people manage to make unbelievable amounts of isk and I'd love to see who/how etc.  I've never managed to succeed at that side of the game outside of simply swindling other dumber people out of their hard-earned isk, so I'd love that.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2011, 09:06 »

Why not just create standard financial statements?   It might be possible to create a spreadsheet template that uses the API date to automatically update them, and they you can just give the template to people and have them put their API into it.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_statements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_keeping

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:03 »

Why not just create standard financial statements?   It might be possible to create a spreadsheet template that uses the API date to automatically update them, and they you can just give the template to people and have them put their API into it.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_statements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_keeping
Good idea, considering that there are publicly traded corps in New Eden.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2011, 16:39 »

Gettin' money is just as important as pewpew. Real talk.

A standard layout for reporting quarterly income would be a fun project, and I bet there'd be a lot of thankful corporations out there if they could have a competitive means of showing their financial progress.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2011, 09:38 »

I'm studying to be an Accountant IRL, so if you want me to do statements for you I can!  :twisted:

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2011, 12:11 »

Gettin' money is just as important as pewpew. Real talk.

A standard layout for reporting quarterly income would be a fun project, and I bet there'd be a lot of thankful corporations out there if they could have a competitive means of showing their financial progress.
Gotta finance that war machine somehow.  :yar:

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2011, 17:22 »

Is there any way that this could be done without being easily abused? What would stop wealthy corpies dumping large amounts of ISK in to the corp wallet/purchasing expensive contracts to make the corp seem exceptionally profitable?

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2011, 20:14 »

Is there any way that this could be done without being easily abused? What would stop wealthy corpies dumping large amounts of ISK in to the corp wallet/purchasing expensive contracts to make the corp seem exceptionally profitable?

Part of my thinking is to not actually measure raw wallet size.

The "Marketboard" would measure things like a traders market revenue and a manufacturers production (ISK)/hour type measurements.  By actually digging into the API and pulling data out of it, it should be possible to screen some things.

For example, a trader's major customers could be tracked/tagged and diversity of customer base noted/rewarded.  Location, items, etc.

It could be a tool for the trader/producer and a way to compare success versus others.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2012, 23:02 »

I'm studying to be an Accountant IRL, so if you want me to do statements for you I can!  :twisted:

Ditto - the use of financial statements as a way of tracking wealth like a killboard is a very good suggestion.  There is a reason it is already used as a major measuring stick in the real world.

Interestingly Eve adds a dimension that real life can't - the value of employees.  It's been a debate on how to expense the costs of training employees - do you depreciate it over a term of time, expense it immediately or whatnot?  Then further - if one of your companies largest assets is it's well trained staff - how is that expressed in dollar amounts on a balance sheet?

In Eve due to the character bazaar and character valuation tools - a value can be assigned to the cost of training personnel. The question of how and how appropriate is it could be fun.  I could see a Fed corp refusing to list their employees as assets to avoid them being labeled as "things" while for a Holder's corp it would be very normal and depending on the employee they may even list the person as inventory.

The curiosity of how Eve-GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principals) would look.  Naturally we would all have to book the value of our prepaid insurance ... this is a fun thought.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2012, 18:18 »

You're hired. Wait, you already are. Get to work, then ^^ No seriously, this is actually something I had in mind already, so let's have a talk about it sometimes, aye?

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jan 2012, 22:02 »

Values of corporations based on the same sources for values assigned to KMs?

Base value can hit a corp hard, 21.5M for an Onyx base, ~200M for an Onyx on the market, ouch!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2012, 00:24 »

I'm curious about what it would look like and what it might be used for.

I don't expect that most of the people I know who are serious industrialists or traders would have any interest in giving away that kind of information, though.

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan 2012, 06:40 »

I'm curious about what it would look like and what it might be used for.

I don't expect that most of the people I know who are serious industrialists or traders would have any interest in giving away that kind of information, though.

I guess it depends on how it's sold to potential users.

Is it a tool for people to show how much isk they're raking in? Probably the easiest comparison to the current PvP KBs with isk vs kills.

Is it a way for corps or alliances to show how much of a particular market share they have in a specific system/constellation/region? I can imagine corps like the ILF would use it RPing their commerce efforts in Intaki.

Can it be used by corps to advertise their services? "Want to build stuffs? We're your best bet for minerals..."

Sure it makes sense that some details are possibly a little sensitive but depending how sophisticated this kind of thing is, and how granular the results can be I can imagine it could cater for most people. Kind of how EVEBoard can display or hide a wide range of information on a capauleer depending on the settings applied by the player.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2013, 14:55 »

Necro!  Because I have been digging into the API this weekend!

Currently looking at the following:
# of unique items on target market
total order value on market
# of unique sales in past week/month
total sales value in past week/month

Thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2