Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution  (Read 16449 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
« Reply #135 on: 25 Feb 2012, 12:36 »

Im going to finish that DLC, I got it so long ago and completely forgot.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #136 on: 10 Mar 2012, 11:24 »

I just had a thought.

if you remember the silly story I wrote about the Quafe Troubleshooter, then I can envision a video game that is not too dissimilar in gameplay to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Sneak around, resolve problems at Quafe installations.

particularly elements such as consuming Quafe products to restore energy for operating devices.

I went D:
\o/

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #137 on: 24 Jun 2012, 08:32 »

Slight Necro but after a 75% of Deus Ex sale from Steam I bought and played it through start to finish in about 20 hours, so I thought I would add my thoughts on the game to the thread.

Simply put, I loved that game from start to finish without one memorable complaint - sure it crashed I think twice? But overall it was stable fluid and honestly the issues everyone else reported went completely under my radar I was so immersed in the story and settings that I couldn't find fault with it.
The explorations where awesome, the hacking mechanics where hilariously good fun and while the stealth wasn't perfect it was so much fucking better than any other game that used stealth that I have played in the last few years.

As for how I played it, I went with my usual RPG tactics of stealth into a position of advantage and then silent kill everyone I can and everyone else gets taken down nice'n loud - which meant that the times the stealth mechanics would have failed for a 'zero-fatality' player I simply grabbed a nice gun and layed down a few well placed headshots to quieten the situation.

Only gripe I can come up with now is the perhaps lack of variation in pathing, I always seemed to find the stealthy paths after going through it semi-openly - and not only that, why on earth is the secret paths Always without fail an air duct? At least a little more variation there would have been nice.

However, overall this game easily hits inside my top 5 games of all time - it just completely sucked me in and for what I payed for it on Steam, simply the best game value for money I have purchased in a long long time.
9.5/10

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Lyn Farel

« Reply #138 on: 24 Jun 2012, 15:48 »

Now if you have not played the first Deus Ex yet, it is the time  :cube:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #139 on: 24 Jun 2012, 20:41 »

Again, just be aware that the original Deus Ex is OLD and both the gameplay and graphics have aged considerably. It's one of the best games of all time but you may very well be put off by that.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #140 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:28 »

Well, if Deus Ex gameplay is aged now - a gameplay that was eons ahead of its time - then Deux Ex 3 is old too. The latter is a perfect, true reproduction of the first one with very little change, the cover system aside and minor changes to the augmentations system. Otherwise, it is based on the exact same principles, with even similar or same weapons. This is what I liked with DE3 : developpers remained true to the spirit of the first one and did an amazingly respectful job with the licence, without sometimes making it too hardcore like the first one was.

The story of course, is another matter. It is great in its own way. Where I would say that DE3 is more tangible, closer to our political world, with a lot of bioethics put inside, DE1 is ultimately more focused on power struggles, hidden societies and world control, and where DE3 is just grim, DE1 is grimdark to a point the former looks shiny in comparison.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #141 on: 26 Jun 2012, 23:27 »

Well-- cover system, augs, melee, graphics, AI, voice acting (do not get me started on the "Chinese" voice actors from 1), hostile maneuverability (zero-inertia turns and reverses are a lousy stand-in for decent AI and cover mechanics), and a host of other things.

Melee, especially, drove me crazy in 1, which was a pity because I conceptually loved the dragon's tooth sword. (It's a monofilament weapon, a wire one molecule wide suspended in a magnetic field, for anyone not already familiar. Very cyberpunk and VERY cool.) If hostile zero-inertia maneuverability was a problem in hitting people at range, it was so much worse trying to follow through on an ambush if you didn't quite get the killing blow in before you were spotted. The fact that sweeping strikes with a bladed weapon wouldn't connect unless the target was actually in the teeny-tiny crosshair REALLY didn't help.

I do not like that Adam, in 3, makes a bunch of noise any time he chooses to go with the up-close and messy option (a neatly slit throat should be one of the quietest of all possible takedowns), but, especially with the augmentations you can add to it, the cinematic character of 3's melee is a vast improvement.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #142 on: 27 Jun 2012, 00:01 »

... a neatly slit throat is supposed to be silent? In what world? A slit throat is a -very- noisy kill. The trashing of the victim, that sickening sound of a heaving windpipe, the gargling of blood mixed with said windpipe gushing air as the victim tries to scream and so on. Please trust me on this. In the real world, a slit throat is noisy as hell until the brain notices it's out of blood. Doesn't take too long, but you don't need many seconds to create a world of noise.

Smacking them upside the head is infinitely quieter if you catch them before they fall.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #143 on: 27 Jun 2012, 08:46 »

Well the only thing I found annoying was that some of the non lethal melee were quite silent (strangulation, etc), and some other were very noisy (punches in the face, etc), and yet they were considered silent by the game. It was only logical that there was a difference between the lethal melee approach (noisy) and the non lethal (silent), but the cinematics were not always very according to what was supposed to happen. :p

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #144 on: 27 Jun 2012, 12:57 »

Eh-- even if I grant that, Miz (and that still doesn't sound terribly bloody loud), as Lyn points out there's still the question of why a bunch of bubbling and thumping is so much noisier than a bunch of grunting and thumping, some of which is extremely brutal and not in a silent way.

We're not comparing a slit throat and a sleeper hold, or at least not in all cases.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #145 on: 27 Jun 2012, 21:51 »

I know, I know. I'm not even trying to compare the in-game takedowns, really. I'm just tired of the misconception that slitting throats is quiet. It really, really isn't.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #146 on: 28 Jun 2012, 00:10 »

If you say so, but the best noisemaker a human has is not its ability to clap its hands and stamp its feet.

Or burble.

My point of reference for a "loud kill" is disemboweling somebody with a machete. Somehow, I suspect throat-slitting is quieter.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #147 on: 28 Jun 2012, 00:31 »

... disemboweling someone with a machete. You know, you are an extremely creepy person and that's coming from someone trained in stealthy takedowns.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: 28 Jun 2012, 09:09 »

... disemboweling someone with a machete. You know, you are an extremely creepy person and that's coming from someone trained in stealthy takedowns.

Lol.

Which is more disturbing: the guy who thinks "quiet" means no gunshots and no screams, or the guy who thinks "quiet" means a muffled thump and a soft rustle of fabric as a body is gently lowered to the floor?

Admittedly, my imagination is probably not rated "E".

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #149 on: 28 Jun 2012, 18:34 »

...do not get me started on the "Chinese" voice actors from 1...

As opposed to DX:HR's black person accent.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11