Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Faster than Light Communication is regulated by CONCORD? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fast, fabulous, and fun lvl 4 ship  (Read 16755 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Fast, fabulous, and fun lvl 4 ship
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2012, 14:27 »

For what it's worth, I've yet to encounter a lvl4 mission that made me break a sweat with my Kronos active armor tank. My fit includes a cap-injector, but it's mostly for 'emergencies'. I've poped it once or twice due to lazyness mostly...

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2012, 03:37 »

For what it's worth, I've yet to encounter a lvl4 mission that made me break a sweat with my Drake/Raven/Passive Shield Myrm/Passive Shield Domi tank. My fit includes a cap-injector, but it's mostly for 'emergencies'. I've poped it once or twice due to lazyness mostly...

Fixed.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:26 »

For what it's worth, I've yet to encounter a lvl4 mission that made me break a sweat with my Drake/Raven/Passive Shield Myrm/Passive Shield Domi tank. My fit includes a cap-injector, but it's mostly for 'emergencies'. I've poped it once or twice due to lazyness mostly...
Fixed.

Dread Pirate Scarlet tends to pop most of the above.

If not there's a few missions in the L4 Gallente arc and one in the Amarrian arc that would like a word  :P

Anyway I've always wanted them to ramp up the difficulty, or at least split L4's into two tiers of difficulty, with the better paying missions being made harder.

Big fan of the Mach, but spending my entire life in falloff has become somewhat dull, considering a Vindicator and/or Kronos (because Salvaging after takes time, and multiboxing is bleh)

I also actually miss armour tanking, shield tanking feels so flimsy...

Vindicator has horrible active tank for missions. :/

You do have to flex the wallet somewhat to fit a decent tank on it, but the DPS output tends to limit the amount of firepower you're going to come under.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2012, 06:28 by Caellach Marellus »
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jan 2012, 07:00 »

Yeah but well, tbh I already reach 1000 DPS with a paladin (against 1100 or 1200 with a rail vindi...), and a tank far superior, so... Maybe the damage type output and a little more range (but railguns with the lol vindicator locking range ?) might be interesting, but well, not that much. Clearly, the ship is not really fit for L4s to my eyes.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2012, 07:10 »

Yeah but well, tbh I already reach 1000 DPS with a paladin (against 1100 or 1200 with a rail vindi...), and a tank far superior, so... Maybe the damage type output and a little more range (but railguns with the lol vindicator locking range ?) might be interesting, but well, not that much. Clearly, the ship is not really fit for L4s to my eyes.

1k with a Tachyondin? Is that including implants?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2012, 07:14 »

No, its just including beams. :p

+30% DPS and tracking with beams (compared to rails and artillery) remember ?

1025 DPS with 3 IN heat sinks and IN multifrequency. Around 100 DPS less than a rail vindi. And 3 free high slots left for some random things.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jan 2012, 07:32 »

No, its just including beams. :p

+30% DPS and tracking with beams (compared to rails and artillery) remember ?

1025 DPS with 3 IN heat sinks and IN multifrequency. Around 100 DPS less than a rail vindi. And 3 free high slots left for some random things.

Ah, that's why, I hadn't factored drones into it. Was wondering why the numbers were that high.

My biggest issue with the Paladin though is a lack of powergrid to just fit it perfectly. Which is why I'm probably leaning more towards the Kronos if anything. The DPS between the Kronos and the Paladin is so slight, yet the Kronos can field two racks of small drones to counter tackle frigates and still have room for 3 sentries.

And you can stick an MWD on it for going gate to gate.

Edit: Seems since the Hybrid buff that 425 Rails now track at the same speed as Tachs. Least with both Kronos and Paladin I'm showing them at 0.0174 (with 39.6 optimal, the Kronos having better falloff by 5k)
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2012, 07:39 by Caellach Marellus »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:23 »

Yeah I forgot the hybrid buff.

For the fitting thats also why im using navy tachyons (less capacitor consumption anyway, so i can fit a web), and a navy repairer.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 09 Jul 2012, 12:34 »

Necro (funny, since this is only the second topic).

For my money, the Cerberus is the most entertaining mission ship. It's not necessarily the fastest at killing everything in sight, but it keeps things fun.

Combine speed and active shield tank, AB + small shield booster(s). Load the lows with all the damage mods your CPU can handle, then hull mods (nanofiber, etc.). When first learning the ins and outs, use heavy missiles so you can keep up that spatial margin for error.

If you like big explosions and are playing somebody who doesn't have much regard for human life, bring along a couple hundred FoFs and hold yourself a the occasional victory celebration by uncoupling the launchers, loading the FoFs, and then doing strafing runs past unhardened structures with all the launchers going on independently-cycling fire. You can turn space red with explosions until you run out of either missiles or structures. Biggest literal blast in all of Eve (the biggest figurative one is limited to PvP).

Once you're comfortable with the ship, have a good sense of how to stay alive, and get tired of watching anti-missile batteries crimping your firepower, take the same fit loaded out with HAMs.

You can do all this with a Tengu, of course, but (1) everybody does that and (2) it's much more expensive and (3) it won't hold your attention anywhere near as well because the Tengu can sleepwalk through most fights. The Cerb, not so much.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #39 on: 09 Jul 2012, 13:17 »

If you like big explosions and are playing somebody who doesn't have much regard for human life, bring along a couple hundred FoFs and hold yourself a the occasional victory celebration by uncoupling the launchers, loading the FoFs, and then doing strafing runs past unhardened structures with all the launchers going on independently-cycling fire.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vikarion

« Reply #40 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:08 »

The fastest mission runners - that is, the ships that kill the rats the fastest, as opposed to blitzing for objectives - are as follows:

1. EM/Thermal rats: Nightmare. The Nightmare edges out the Paladin unless you plan to salvage while you go (don't salvage while you go, get a Noctis if you must loot). Use Tachyons, 4 hardeners, cheap XL complex booster and shield boost amplifier. Lastly, pack on a cap injector, two tracking enhancers, and three heat sinks. The Nightmare's tracking makes Tachyon beams usable against even frigates at range, and you only need to use MF for most missions. DPS averages in the 1000-1200 range. You can make it even more deadly by dropping the shield boost amp for a tracking computer and replacing a tracking enhancer for another heat sink, but I find that I prefer the safety margin. This build requires perfect cap skills for more difficult missions.

2. Guristas/Serpentis: Caldari Navy Raven. Typical 4 hardener, setup for tank, adjust to taste. Fit a target painter and use t2 cruise launchers, switch to tech 2 hi damage cruise missile for BS targets, and regular cruise for everything else. This fit averages around 800-900 DPS, but all damage can be conformed to the target's weakest resists, making the effective DPS very high. This is the best all-around mission ship, and missions faster than a Tengu or Golem. The disadvantage of the CNR is that any build with a target painter will have a weaker tank.

3. Angels/Mercs: Vargur. I love the Vargur, so much so that I'm willing to put up with a bit of inefficiency to use them against Guristas. Use autocannons - artillery damage is inherently wasteful, and the long recycle makes popping frigs at range a no-go. Shield tank is the way to go, with tracking enhancers or tracking computers to give you the falloff you need. Pack short range and long range ammunition, and you can function effectively against any enemy. Still, this beast is most deadly against Angels.

One thing many people do not think about when picking a missioning ship is the extreme ranges some missions present you with. In terms of speed, a Golem can wipe out enemies very quickly, but the flight into torpedo range means that dps is not actually applied for quite some time. While MWD's do work in mission spaces now, they still take time to get you into range, and dramatically reduce your active tanking capabilities as long as they are drawing capacitor. So while your Golem, Federation Megathron, or Tengu (Tengu has max 78km locking range) is still flying into position, a Nightmare or Vargur may well have been blasting away for 2-3 minutes. Since a Vargur can easily complete a mission in 15 minutes, and a Nightmare in less than that, those extra few minutes add up.

In regards to drone boats for missions, I can't say that I like them. The drones occasionally get aggro'd, but the real flaw is that the DPS output is simply sub-par. A Dominix or Ishtar may take two or three times as long to complete a mission than a Nightmare or CNR.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2012, 17:59 »

I love missioning in my Mach.  It does stupid variable damage-type DPS at very long range, can move quickly, and forces to me pay attention and kinda get into a mission (which is a good thing in my mind, if I actually want to make real ISK while not thinking too much about it, Ill trade, not do semi-afk stuff).

Also, its pretty to look at.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2012, 21:50 »

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I like the Absolution.

Tank is epic, firepower is quite good, and you can get them up to a respectable speed to boot.

Graelyn speaks the truth. I used to run a T2 pulse setup with about 13 min of cap, which provided me margin of error as long as I paid attention.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #43 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:57 »

Fun fact about missile ships: sometimes FOF missiles don't aggro groups in missions!
 :cube:

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #44 on: 25 Sep 2012, 08:16 »

Fun fact about missile ships: sometimes FOF missiles don't aggro groups in missions!
 :cube:

Well the idea wasn't to aggro with them, but to have fun blowing up everything static after the rats were dead :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4