Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minecraft Server  (Read 2635 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Minecraft Server
« on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:10 »

Hey all. There's been a good bit of ruminating and discussion and pining after a minecraft server for the backstage/OOC/RP/whatever-the-fuck-we-are community. I'm looking into the practical side of setting up such a thing and I'm curious how many people would be interested?

If there were only going to be five or six people, that's not so bad. If there were going to be twenty or thirty, we'd have issues, particularly if they spread out.

So yeah. If it'd only be a few people (or only a few people at a time) I might be able to set up a server that folks could connect to via VPN. If it's going to be more than that, then I don't think a machine that can handle running it would be affordable.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Minecraft Server
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:24 »

Depends on where in the world it's located. Creepers + Latency = Horrible horrible things.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:31 »

I was going to offer to host but I can't get the damned port unblocked. I take it you've gone through all that malarkey? I'd be interested in playing.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:51 »

I'm in the eastern US, and the way around the port issues is to run a VPN. I'm playing with a friend on his server in Michigan, practically lag free, using LogMeIn Hamachi.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2011, 11:46 »

I'm in the eastern US, and the way around the port issues is to run a VPN. I'm playing with a friend on his server in Michigan, practically lag free, using LogMeIn Hamachi.

The issue with Hamachi is that it tunnels past all your security and opens a fuckhuge hole. Not particularly eager to use it, eh
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2011, 12:19 »

The issue with Hamachi is that it tunnels past all your security and opens a fuckhuge hole. Not particularly eager to use it, eh

I was wondering about that. Is it a general gaping hole or just one which can be exploited by anyone else on the VPN? In other words, is it safe to use with people I trust like RL friends? Or is it still a hazard?

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2011, 17:06 »

I'm interested in playing, and I know at least four more in the ILF who would also be interested.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2011, 00:47 »

I was wondering about that. Is it a general gaping hole or just one which can be exploited by anyone else on the VPN? In other words, is it safe to use with people I trust like RL friends? Or is it still a hazard?

I'm pretty sure the security hole it opens is just between VPN members, but don't quote me on that.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:04 »

Hmm. I'd be in on it, but unfortunately Minecraft servers on US soil makes for horribad latency, which in turn is horribad for gameplay. Good luck with the server, it's great fun.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2011, 04:18 »

Intersting idea

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:27 »

I need to actually buy minecraft.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2011, 11:28 »

Would definitely be interested in something like this -- not sure how the latency for me would be from here in England, but I'm sure I'd get by.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2011, 11:22 »

Mmk, did some looking around, will do some more later tonight when I'm home and my work isn't blocking me from looking at any game-related site.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to figure out what it takes to simply run my own server, but it will probably be outside the realm of current possibility. Other option would to rent a server, which tbh I'd be more than happy to do because I think it'd be a ton of fun. If people want to set something up to throw me some isk so I can pay for plexes and spend the RL iskies on minecraft, that'd be sweet too.

things to think on, at least.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2011, 12:38 »

Little of both. The bigger issue is that the VPN members can look into your computer with impunity, the lesser issue is that it opens up a hole period.

With proactive use of hamachi's built in block IP function and only being on one active network at a time, you in theory minimize the potential for illegal access greatly.

One of the primary reasons I am leery is not due to unauthorized access, but the possibility of one of my friend's infected machines spreading their infection across a nearly unmonitored tunnel to my computer.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2011, 12:50 »

Little of both. The bigger issue is that the VPN members can look into your computer with impunity, the lesser issue is that it opens up a hole period.

With proactive use of hamachi's built in block IP function and only being on one active network at a time, you in theory minimize the potential for illegal access greatly.

One of the primary reasons I am leery is not due to unauthorized access, but the possibility of one of my friend's infected machines spreading their infection across a nearly unmonitored tunnel to my computer.

I was thinking about that as a risk - I trust everyone on this VPN to know how to avoid viruses and such like except my brothers. I assume if I had it block all IPs except the host, that would be safer but would still leave open the risk for something to migrate to the server and then to me.

Is there a safer software for running a VPN? Or does security = additional hassle getting the network to work?
Pages: [1] 2