Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minecraft Server  (Read 2633 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Minecraft Server
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2011, 14:37 »

Hosts on a VPN should essentially be treated as hosts on your local network, which should not bypass all your security. Your system firewall and anti-malware will still see all that traffic and activity on your system and should protect you, even if your router and network firewall don't see it due to the tunnel.

Faraelle Brightman

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:33 »

Raising a tentative hand of interest.  Also, in parallel, I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in doing a succession game - the Minecraft equivalent of a writer's round robin, you pass one map around and take turns. In the last one I was involved in, there was a theme of sorts and players were encouraged to write IC journal entries of their exploits - I'd keep at least the theme part.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:13 »

a succession game - the Minecraft equivalent of a writer's round robin, you pass one map around and take turns.

This is a rad idea. I'm doing that with my mates immediately.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jul 2011, 09:36 »

Raising a tentative hand of interest.  Also, in parallel, I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in doing a succession game - the Minecraft equivalent of a writer's round robin, you pass one map around and take turns. In the last one I was involved in, there was a theme of sorts and players were encouraged to write IC journal entries of their exploits - I'd keep at least the theme part.

That is an awesome idea and part of the reason I'd love to get this set up to play with othere EVE folk - playing with my friends, I'm currently being bitched at for building too close to someome, meanwhile the guy who built so far away you can't see him without a five minute hike is being lauded for it. Stupid Americans and their fences, etc. A collaborative project sounds a lot more fun.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2011, 09:43 »

Minecraft sucession games? OhgodIwantthem. Every attempt I've made at Minecraft fiction, though (all two, semi-joking attempts) veer away into a downward spiral of crazy and / or messiah complex, though -- whether this is good or bad, you decide. >>

But yeah, if we do end up with an actual server, people working close to one another would beawesome. Even if the projects don't themselves connect in any way, actually seeing the changes people make to the landscape and what do makes it that bit more enjoyable.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2011, 11:24 »

Yeah, that'd be sweet. admittedly, I did block out the sun with a 60x60 castle in the sky, but getting bitched at for making it too close to someone else's stuff was annoying. rawr.

we'll have to put our heads together this weekend and see what we can make happen. This is just making me tingly. Or maybe that's the 105º F (40.6º C) weather with high humidity... ugh...

Faraelle Brightman

• Clonejack
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2011, 00:28 »

Victoria, don't want to tread on your thread haphazardly - shall I spin off a thread for succession game or you ok having it wrapped up in this one for at least planing stages?  I'm hearing enough interest to at least get started on one.

From my experience in having played one, these are the minimum of ground rules needed for it to work:
- Each person has a set limit of in-game days in a time limit of a given # of RL days - we did one Minecraft week, 4 RL days. Play passes to the next player if you don't turn in your map within the time limit.
- No mods, or at least no mods that haven't been previously agreed on by all players.  If the game adapts a mod, for comparability, all players must use that mod thenceforward, but it's easier to just say "no mods" unless there's a good reason.
- No cheats/external editors, on your honor.  (The GM may make rare exceptions in the event of a technical glitch, and may also pre-load the map with some items if it fits the theme).
- No knocking down/vandalizing other people's builds.  Adding/continuing/fixing stuff is fine, but it would be polite to ask before making major changes.  Do try to repair things like creeper damage to the best of your ability - you'll be forgiven if it's not perfect.
- Stay in a reasonable walking distance of built-up areas.
- At the end of your turn, post your current map/send to the GM to post (TBD) and a summary of your turn activity.  In Character isn't strictly required but is encouraged.
- Keep to the theme.  The theme is open for interpretation, but this may not be the best venue for your giant Goldmember, sprite art or masterwork redstone and noteblock rendition of Still Alive, for example.

Things I'd like to leave open to discussion before starting: the theme itself, and preferred difficulty level.

Difficulty level: At least one day/night of Peaceful is permitted for a player to get their bearings.  When I played, the ratio was three days Peaceful, 4 on choice of Normal or Hard.  I'd rather not do 100% Peaceful - there should be a challenge aspect, IMO.

Theme: Here's the game I was in, which gave the excuse plot that we were agents of a king collecting supplies for a war.  I'm brainstorming maybe something to do with a dreamworld that we visit?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:11 »

That sounds like it could be really cool. For the moment, we've got the server up and running with just a couple of us playing. There are some random bugs that occur, and it gets tempermental with too many portals to/from the nether. But it's up and we're having fun, got a couple of lazy farms going (push button, receive bacon style). If anyone is interested in joining in and messing around, shoot me a message. My only condition is that people stay somewhat nearby, 100 to 200 blocks, something easy to travel by rail.

Also, for anyone that hasn't discovered it, F3 is your friend. It will give your X,Y,Z coordinates, Y being the verticle axis with 0 being bedrock, X and Z being horizontal, I don't recall which is north/south or east/west. This is invaluable when lost and needing directions, I usually keep notes of the coords for major landmarks.

Anyhow, on the topic of a succession game, that sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I have little to no experience running such a thing, I'll have to give it some thought. How exactly does one post a map, would that be a single-player thing or would it just be on the server?
Pages: 1 [2]