Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X3: Terran Conflict  (Read 2781 times)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
X3: Terran Conflict
« on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:55 »

Given that we seem to be more in the habit of discussing games other than EVE recently, I would have to strongly recommend X3: Terran Conflict to all of you. It's the kind of ridiculously immersive single-player spaceship game that there really should be way more of in this day and age. Basically, when I want to play EVE Offline, I flick on this game and lose the rest of my day. Some of the game mechanics are a little bit outdated and the combat's a little bit buggy (protip: just don't use missiles. At all.) but this, ladies and genetlemen, is The Game if you're looking for an immersive, sprawling space trading and combat sandbox.

I will warn you however that it does the equivalent of EVE with it's tutorials, though - dumps you in at the deep end with very little instruction and expects you to swim. The game will require a little bit of trial and error and about two or three hours of hard graft to get a financial foundation for the doing-whatever-the-fuck-you-want portion of the game, but it's well worth your time. I'm perfectly willing to give help to people starting off in it.

It's £10 on Steam right now, which means if you can afford an EVE sub or two, you can afford this. I would say buy it just to support the market for space-trade sims, to be honest.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
Re: X3: Terran Conflict
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:31 »

Fantastic moding scene too, there are some truly gamechanging mods out there.

Ship Rebalance Mod and Combat Mod 4 among the most popular.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:46 »

I just got this, I have no idea wtf I'm doing. :|

I managed to dock like a boss though. Finally, a use for my silly little joystick. Dx

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:49 »

Protip: Target station, Shift-A. J. This will stick on the autopilot docking sequence and turn on your SETA and dock you in about ten to twenty seconds of real-time. Massive timesaver, and unless you've got a very fast ship, it's actually safer than doing it manually.

Once you've got on your feet, the market is ridiculously easy to game if you understand even the rawest basics of market forces. Once you have enough rep with the Boron, and can afford it, buy the following combination in Kingdom End:

Stott Mixery M
Plankton Farm M
Complex Hub

Drag it to Siezewell, set it up and buy three haulers. All three haulers should be equipped with Trade Command Software Mk. II. Set all three to home-base at the complex hub connecting the factories. Set two of them to constantly haul energy cells to the station (Buy Ware For Best Price), and the other to constantly sell the product (Sell Ware For Best Price). Open the hub command console and set up Auto Transfer Money To Player Account with a high-water mark of about 120,000 to 200,000 credits. Transfer exactly that much to the station's account.

This basically prints money for you, because all of the races want Stott Spices in their food factories, but none of them can produce those goods themselves. That will produce a steady stream of credits for you. Do the same for the Argon system of Red Light (it's directly adjacent to three systems with food factories) once you can afford it. Grind rep with the Teladi and build a Teladianium Foundry L in Menelaus' Frontier. Repeat this process ad nauseum with products only one race produces, but other races need. Almost never, except in a few scarce factory construction missions, does any race ever think to do this for themselves.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2011, 10:55 by Andreus Ixiris »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:27 »

Might try it though I usually strongly dislike solo RPG-adventure (whatever is not a rts or the likes) games with a lot of freedom (ala Elder Scrolls). And i heard this one is mostly you dropped in space with not much around to guide you (is there even a story ?).

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:31 »

Might try it though I usually strongly dislike solo RPG-adventure (whatever is not a rts or the likes) games with a lot of freedom (ala Elder Scrolls). And i heard this one is mostly you dropped in space with not much around to guide you (is there even a story ?).

Story yes, but Morrowind style. Not particularly engaging and highly optional. The story isn't the selling point, the sandbox is.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:38 »

Ok, thanks for the answers, this is what I thought.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2011, 15:25 »

This game can cause incredible rage. I'd recommend avoiding playing it if you're easily frustrated.

It also becomes a *lot* less fun once you start getting capital ships.

Much like Eve.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:12 »

Bought Reunion and Terran Conflict during the sale. Installed, haven't played yet.
I'll get around to it, once I've done enough research and preparation.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:55 »

Sorry to say but you can bin Reunion. Its TC's predecessor, only changes are a different story (marginable), less advanced UI/controls and a less active modding scene because most of them have moved on to TC.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:47 »

It's a shame, that the game's sectors extend no more than a couple hundred kilometers. Sorta breaks my immersion for me. =/

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2011, 08:10 »

It's a shame, that the game's sectors extend no more than a couple hundred kilometers. Sorta breaks my immersion for me. =/

Yep, I dont particularly like that setup either. Also because it has stargates, which I dislike for some reason. But at least you actually fly into these stargates, as opposed to flying near them and getting sucked in by a not at all related animation :yar:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2011, 08:41 »

Sorry to say but you can bin Reunion. Its TC's predecessor, only changes are a different story (marginable), less advanced UI/controls and a less active modding scene because most of them have moved on to TC.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2011, 15:21 »

Right... I lasted about an hour of random flying while trying to figure out what the guy wanted me to do before I went 'welp... fuck this...' and shot up a hospital ship. Time to RTFM, I guess... which is a first in gaming history.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2011, 17:57 »

TC was easier to get into. Finished a mission and I'm now trying to familiarize myself with the station UI, trading and so on. Sheesh this is not a user-friendly game... well, to begin with, anyway. I think I'll enjoy it, though.

Pages: [1] 2