Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why do you Roleplay?  (Read 7432 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Why do you Roleplay?
« Reply #45 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:47 »

Side question: how many people RP versions of themselves, whether in terms of personality or areas of interest (e.g. RL businesspeople doing trade and industry, etc.)?

I do, pretty much. If I RP someone evil and/or badass I always end up feelin bad in the end :lol:

I never had this problem, atl not in ME2. The problem there though is that 100% renegade is considered by the developers to be bad-ass, ruthless and merciless to one's foes. In reality, 100% renegade score - accepting the renegade option all the time - is just the recipe for a total asshole.

I had no problems maxing out my renegade score playing the role of the utterly merciless ruthless 'mission done at all cost' type, but I also ended with half of the paragon meter decked out due to accepting options that were logical and expected, for example, in regard to crew-members and companions and their issues.

As such, this is just an example that it's possible to be 'evil' or darker than your average hero, without being an utter, unsensitive prick as well.

And as for the original question... the only toon of mine simmilar to myself in RL was BB, and that was the original way of thinking, reasoning and some facets of personality. This morphed over time and now only a few parts of him retains hints of 'me' and how I might solve stuff/think. As for the others, they are mostly stand-alone works with little or no connections.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #46 on: 26 Jul 2011, 13:22 »

I would say it'd be difficult to play something you aren't capable of comprehending. Humans have the capability to do awful and wonderful things if enabled in certain situations, so in a way I think all roleplay is somewhat of a journey of self-exploration.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #47 on: 26 Jul 2011, 15:51 »

Aria said how that you can't RP something that isn't "of" you, and that even if your character is different (reacts differently to situations), it is still very much in the capability of who you could be IRL.

Even with female characters played by guys, are "surrogates" or idealized versions of women we desire. Certainly been like that with how I play my adult female characters.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #48 on: 26 Jul 2011, 16:01 »

Even with female characters played by guys, are "surrogates" or idealized versions of women we desire. Certainly been like that with how I play my adult female characters.

That may be true in some cases, but I don't think it's an accurate generalization that men play female characters according to our idealized desires any more than the inverse is true: I don't believe women always play male characters that match their idealized desires.

In fact, I generally play female characters closer to myself without worrying too much about the gender aspect - and I speak from significant personal experience when I say that relationships with women too much like myself don't work... >_>

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 Aug 2011, 05:58 »

I'm fairly late to MMO's. My path in roleplaying has been tabletop RPG's (of all kinds) on to rubber sword fantasy LARPing and finally here.

I like the mental effort of coming up with a character and putting myself inside their head. Like most people my characters share some traits with me but are usually different in some significant way persona-wise.

I'm not really into playing utterly psychotic villians. It just doesn't do anything for me (usually, a tabletop called SLA Industries being the exception). That said I find saintly hero types just as boring (usually, I've managed some very heroic Humakti in Gloranthan tabletop games though).

One definite attraction for doing this in EVE is the reaction of non roleplayer rookie pirate types when they find out that a corp full of roleplayers aren't the pushovers that they where expecting. Much sweeter tears than any carebear tears ever could be. I've always been partial to cyberpunk settings as well. EVE is very much that, only with a wider scope than most.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #50 on: 06 Aug 2011, 23:46 »

Eve is the only thing I play with besides my grandbabies. :)  I agree with many of the reasons expressed above related to “why” and “role-play”.   I will not guess as to others reasons, as for mine…
1.   It allows me to explore with others things that are “normally” against my nature.
2.   It affords me a measure of control over the “universe” in which I play.
3.   It is occasionally fun.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #51 on: 15 Nov 2014, 20:18 »

This thread should be moved to the reception area.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2014, 20:32 by Anyanka Funk »

Deitra Vess

• Immature Quasi Terrorist Interceptor Pilot
  • Egger
« Reply #52 on: 15 Nov 2014, 20:40 »

well, for me its basically getting to see through the eyes of someone who is the exact opposite of me in every way (Deitra = shy overly optimistic, childish girl, me = more so social, generally mature imho, guy)  Really I prolly suck at rping though I find it fun. In my boredom I write short stories and such, and I've yet to make a male protagonist who isn't either a cookie cutter godlike protagonist or basically me in whatever situation I'm writing about. Really the char I play was a creation when I was day dreaming while(afk mining) writing a 65 page paper to get my bachelors degree. And actually made it a char after my daughter was born. But that's a totally different story.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #53 on: 15 Nov 2014, 21:53 »

For fun. Also give context to what my character does and why. If I can't quite make his actions fit an in-character context I won't be doing it.

Also, I like to imagine things up.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 16 Nov 2014, 01:16 »

So much necro.

Karynn

« Reply #55 on: 16 Nov 2014, 16:25 »

I like to roleplay to inject an extra dimension into the game.

I like the challenges of going against my better judgement as a player to do things that Karynn would want to do... hanging around to burn wrecks and corpses as offerings to the Ancestors when I should really gtfo; only flying Minmatar and preferably Thukker ships; keeping a bit of contraband in the hold to make high sec more interesting... that kinda thing!

Acting out Karynn with other players is also a challenge for me. I generally have fun with the character, but sometimes it feels like hard work. She's the polar opposite of me in most regards and I don't think I would get on with her in RL.

Also, making and selling drugs is naughty in RL. In a game, it's fun!

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 16 Nov 2014, 21:35 »

I roleplay just as an extension of the characters I write. It's pretty much that simple. There isn't any 'part of myself' or 'exploration' involved, though more power to those that find that sort of thing useful with roleplaying. For me, it's just a form of storytelling.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #57 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:22 »

It's the next step. I've read books, I've written stories, it's time to live them, even if they're small insignificant ones they're out there to be had, a whole world of fantastic things to do and create with limits imposed only by imagination.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]