Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why do you Roleplay?  (Read 7433 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Why do you Roleplay?
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:19 »

Side question: how many people RP versions of themselves, whether in terms of personality or areas of interest (e.g. RL businesspeople doing trade and industry, etc.)?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:47 »

Side question: how many people RP versions of themselves, whether in terms of personality or areas of interest (e.g. RL businesspeople doing trade and industry, etc.)?

While Esna doesn't neccesarily match me in personality, I will admit that to a degree Esna went liberal Amarrian in the beginning because I had a great deal of trouble getting into the "hardliner" mindset; the sheer, inherent illogicity of it grated against an entirely personal desire for my positions to be rationalized out. I imagine now that I've got a couple years RP experience under my belt it would be easier (I'd literally never RPed before that), but at the time it was the only way to avoid driving myself nuts and tearing my hear out going "But... but... but... that doesn't make SENSE! Why would he think that?!"

Now, why do I RP... because frankly, I was bored. Utterly bored. I got into this game long before I got into RP, and at the time I was a generic mission runner scrabbling up enough ISK for my first battlecruiser. While nowadays I might actually undock more if I weren't RPing, or go off into 0.0 to run some big comglomerate or something, at the time something to do whie running missions seemed quite awesome. In the mean time, I've come to greatly enjoy the community and RP as a whole, and I don't think I can see myself willingly giving it up any time soon.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:17 »

This char is quite close to myself, but not the same though. On another hand, it is not my first RP (I played it on swg before and all my drafts and weird starting characters were done here mostly), and I usually tend to shape my characters differently, which means here that Lyn is the exception (maybe because of the way eve works and how serious and politized is the universe). I generally start from an archetype and gives it depth. Here I did the opposite, shaped the character itself then applied it on an archetype to add depth. So yes, usually I play very typed characters, that have probably not a lot in common with me (a young idealistic medic, a ruthless and pragmatic slaver and a blasé scurribous veteran soldier planned for swtor if ever I come to play it, for instance).

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:18 »

I do, pretty much. If I RP someone evil and/or badass I always end up feelin bad in the end :lol:

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:52 »

I started out basically RPing myself. That character still exists but has largely been shelved - pulled it out briefly to try and be a part of the A'J project but realized quickly how inconducive that cacophany was going to be for the way I work and think. I found that the closer a character is to the RL me, the more unpleasant it is when misfortune befalls them, so I mostly stick to the character that I can't connect to as easily - like my psychotic monster, Vicky, who has almost nothing in common with me except her loyalty to those she trusts.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:43 »

I like games with interesting narratives, but these days the trend is toward the cliche and overly-epic. Players deliver more engaging stories these days than developers usually do.

I don't enjoy tabletop or anything of the sort, but I like getting immersed in a game's universe. Anyone ever remember that epic 60-70 page manual for Homeworld?

Also it's a good thing to pass time while being camped. :D

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #36 on: 25 Jul 2011, 13:34 »

If I was playing myself, I wouldn't be playing a capsuleer.  I'd be an Agent.   Probably a Level I.   "Yeah, if you're so great, hotshot, why aren't you getting to talk to somebody more important than me?  So, settle your ass down and start making up some good lies about how you're going to make sure those freaking <insert pirate faction here> stop turning up in my system."   Yep.  That'd be me.

I do use my interests, though. :P

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #37 on: 25 Jul 2011, 13:39 »

For why I roleplay, I suppose I got into that through wanting to play tabletop RP, but I never managed to get a game together and IRL I'm shy enough that I never could get into character the way I wanted to.  Then I got into Star Wars Galaxies and EvE, and realized that no one was ever going to see my face and that I could do what I wanted, which was really freeing for me, and really fun.  Which probably says something about my mental state, but whatever.  ;)

As for how much of me is in my characters, it varries.  Saikoyu is probably the most like me IRL, shy, bad at fights (verbal or physical), etc, but she is a lot more passive than I usually am.  All of my alts that I RP with are usually based around Sai, so there is less of me in them, and usually I just started of awith a key concept and then based the rest around either actors in shows or people I know.  A'kua is based a lot on several Belly Dancers I know, and Chantel is basically a female version of Captain Jack from Dr. Who/Torchwood, but without the angest, yet anyway. 

Lord Wamphyri

• Exhibitionist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2011, 16:26 »

There's a lot of me in my characters, but no one character is completely me. They represent different facets of my personality but I suppose more idealised.

Wamp, for example is the brooding, proud narcissist trying to find his true path in life. Somewhat conflicted yet very loyal.

My other guy is almost the opposite in many ways, yet complements Wamp perfectly. Loud, proud and 'in your face' he's not afraid to speak his mind and have a lot of fun in doing it. Underneath the partygoing exterior is a very sensitive man who is loyal to those he holds dear.

He's also a complete slut.  :D

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 16:28 by Lord Wamphyri »

Merahl

• Clonejack
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jul 2011, 16:37 »

...He's also a complete slut.  :D
But it's endearing.

Personality-wise, I'd say Merahl is fairly close to myself. Perhaps more even tempered. For the rest, though, I'm sad to say I am not a studly 49 year old Sebiestor war veteran  :oops:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jul 2011, 16:53 »

<--- RL Sebiestor... >_>

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #41 on: 25 Jul 2011, 18:17 »

He's also a complete slut.  :D

c

:yar:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:43 »

Anyone ever remember that epic 60-70 page manual for Homeworld?

Holy shit, yes.

I also remember that I still have my limited editions x-wing and tie-fighter collector booklets. Fucking epic, game publishers do not do that kind of stuff anymore T_T

Aodha Khan

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:34 »

I RP because this is a roleplaying game....everyone in Eve is not a pod pilot in real life.
...who told you this!

Now I have a picture in my head of you sitting at home in your paper mache pod while playing Eve.  :lol:

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #44 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:34 »

I RP because this is a roleplaying game....everyone in Eve is not a pod pilot in real life.
...who told you this!

Now I have a picture in my head of you sitting at home in your paper mache pod while playing Eve.  :lol:

Hey! Its airtight for 6,4seconds and looks plain badass! Also, for immersion, im obviously playing naked.

Still working on the goo problem though, so far it soaked the pod and dissolved it everytime i tried, was a bit messy!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4