Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why do you Roleplay?  (Read 7435 times)

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
Re: Why do you Roleplay?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:52 »

I just kinda got dragged into it, and it stuck.

Eve is the only place I've ever Roleplayed in my life. Well, except for this one time, when.... no no... nevermind.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2011, 08:24 »

I just kinda got dragged into it, and it stuck.

Eve is the only place I've ever Roleplayed in my life. Well, except for this one time, when.... no no... nevermind.

Pretty much this exactly :yar:

In the meantime I also did some rp in star trek online, which is slightly different because you have your guy instead of a spaceship and "real" character-to-character interaction, but compared to EVEs text based rp both have up- and downsides.

Big advantage of EVE is that you're not at all restricted, while STO rp is restricted to the scenery you have in the game (which is great, but even with the foundry you can't create new places from scratch).

Lord Wamphyri

• Exhibitionist
  • Clonejack
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2011, 08:58 »

I started roleplaying many years ago when I became addicted to text based MUDs. That kinda fizzled out when I discovered EVE as I was too engrossed with the 'Ooh, Shiny' and it was the game I'd been waiting for my whole life!

I rediscovered my love for RP when I entered the EVE's Next Top Model competition, and I'm now firmly entrenched in it!

As to why? Well originally it gave me the chance to 'be' somebody else, and now that has grown to the point where I enjoy telling it as part of an interactive story from my viewpoint. It's also a kind of therapy for me; my characters have been exploring and working through issues that I've struggled with in RL, quite effectively I might add, and it's also stopped me from burning out in EVE.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:48 »

Three reasons:

First: I enjoy adding life/flavor to a world in which I am investing time (and money) and interacting with the community at large in a way that we can all enjoy our imagination and help each other bring even more life to the world. (Also known as roleplaying).

Second: The lore of Eve is fantastic, if a bit filled with holes and lacking at times. It's fun to see players filling in the holes.

Third: I know myself well enough to know that I would be bored out of my mind without roleplay in this game.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:47 »

Biggest reason? My comp was overheating any time I undocked for long so I needed something to do while waiting on the new computer to arrive.

Actually, that's not the biggest reason at all. That's just what got me really stuck in. Prior to that, it as just fun.

Also, it's an escape from reality, and courtesy of a chronic health condition, reality will occasionally choose to really, really suck. Last time I got really sick, I spent as much time RPing as I could manage. Fuck you, real life.

More philosophically, I've always enjoyed playing pretend, overactive imagination and all that. Roleplaying is just the grownup word we use for it. Let's us act a little more dignified about it.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2011, 13:21 »

Short answer: Because EVE is a sandbox.  Sandbox games are only so fun as you can find your own motivations and enjoyment.  By RPing, you give yourself another reason to actually do things, shoot and pod people, etc
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Thansoli

• Republic Loyalist
  • Clonejack
  • [LUTI]<-EM->
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2011, 14:21 »

I've started getting in to RP because I want to keep the game fresh. Right as I was getting started Incarna drops and Monocle-gate happened. All of the resulting drama kind of sapped my will to play. So I'm taking a little break until next month. Then back to it!!

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2011, 11:40 »

I think I started actually RPing on my own in computer games properly in Morrowind. I love rpg games, but Morrowind is where Meb first started - evil, sexy, powerful bitch who did things her way (yes she rose to the top of the Telvanni first).

When I started Eve, I decided to carry her over (the apostrophe wasn't meant to be in her name, despite minmatar stereotypes). She wasn't evil at first, but she was certainly wicked. Kaleigh helped me get more into roleplaying her with others (Glamour Bunnies 4eva). Then one day Meb lost a ship and gained a taste for blood.

The rest, is another story...

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jul 2011, 20:37 »

I rp in most things. Even in games that aren't really RP games, I end up trying to make decisions based on the concept I have of my 'character'. It often leads to me losing strategy games as I'll do things not strictly in my advantage for RP reasons.

I also refuse to play as a bad guy in any game, ever. I wouldn't even play as the Empire in Rebellion back in the day, because, you know, bad guys.

When I found out about RP in EVE I got into it as soon as I could.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2011, 15:42 »

I started RP'ing in EVE because I felt involved in events that took place. My oldest toon's views were not planned as much as they simply happened due to my personal interests and a lucky choice of toon race and bloodline. From there is turned, simply put, into what keeps me going in EVE – as funny and entertaining as this game is, doing RP on my different toons, presenting different takes on events etc, enriches the experience. For me.

Merahl

• Clonejack
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2011, 22:50 »

I shall echo many others here and say that I RP for immersion. Any game I play, I try to sink into my character, whatever I've chosen to roll. I could just screw around and do whatever, but I've found that trying to fit myself into the setting means I play for much longer. It gives me a purpose to follow and a goal to reach for within the game, even one as open ended as Eve.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:25 »

I play for RP.

Aodha Khan

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:07 »

I RP because this is a roleplaying game....everyone in Eve is not a pod pilot in real life.

I took RP to the next level because it gave my character more immersion and reasons to do stuff other than ISK earning/killing ships in a non-linear sandbox environment.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:16 »

I RP because this is a roleplaying game....everyone in Eve is not a pod pilot in real life.

...who told you this!

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:21 »

Because our characters are far cooler than we will ever be  :yar:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4