Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there was a total information blockade during the Caldari occupation of Placid, only lifted when the Caldari Navy in the area was destroyed or driven out?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re: Wish fulfillment RP (and Electus Matari)  (Read 6478 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Re: Wish fulfillment RP (and Electus Matari)
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:04 »

With respect to this locked and catacomb'd (can I shorten that to cc'd?) thread:

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=246.0

I would like to raise it to the moderators' attention that I believe the moderator decision here is too harsh.

Having read the post, it is clear that the poster is not trying to be judgemental or call other people wrong. I quote the first sentence:

Okay, another thread by me, this time it is a general context, applying to the areas of relationship RP. And a short preamble that I have been a dirty perpretrator of this myself. You can also call me an elitist tard as well, if you want Razz

I think people should have the freedom to state that they think a certain way of playing is poor form or something they don't agree with, so long as they aren't insulting the players while doing so.  If you can't disagree and say "I think that is tainted/wrong", then how can you start a discussion?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:08 »

I think people should have the freedom to state that they think a certain way of playing is poor form or something they don't agree with, so long as they aren't insulting the players while doing so.  If you can't disagree and say "I think that is tainted/wrong", then how can you start a discussion?

They can ask why people engage in a given play style. This was a pretty clear case of someone going 'ur doin' it rong'.

I, personally, don't engage in the play style in question. That means I'm not in a position to judge what the motivations of the people who do engage in it are. Saying someone's play style taints Eve RP is pretty clearly insulting, from where I'm standing.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:12 »

I want to add:

Moderation here may from time to time seem overly harsh. Particularly now, as we are starting out.

We are trying to make a break from the mentality encouraged in some other forums (and many parts of the internet). This is necessarily a difficult adjustment, for most of us, I think.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:29 »

I didn't think it was too harsh. Despite the initial disclaimer, it did come down to "I think their RP is based on OOG wish fulfillment and doesn't really do anything for RP, and so they're doin it rong." Not that I've RPed any relationship in EVE, though I have in other games, and I've dealt with that attitude before.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, and all that. Relationship RP, and the more general issue of ERP, can be touchy, but starting off the discussion with complaining about how some people do it doesn't really work. Instead, why not say, "hey, I'd be interested to see if people RP relationships like the following examples." Nobody gets offended and you still address the ways to expand the medium or whatever.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:43 »

It did sound a bit like flamebait, which I wouldn't mind, but this forum wasn't designed for fun flaming, so... just a shame that the mods didn't repost a more streamlined version when they put the initial OT to sleep :)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:45 »

Silver did leave an invitation for it to be reposted in a more appropriate manner, though; it's not as though we're declaring it off-limits as a topic or anything :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:48 »

I'd put it to the OP to post a better version, myself.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:50 »

Well, yes, of course.

The point is though tht the OP was removed by a mod, and imo it'd be nice if the mod who removed the topic from the discussion, no matter how valid his reasons, would just copy/paste the essentials into a new OP - but that might just be me being silly. :P

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:05 »

Well, yes, of course.

The point is though tht the OP was removed by a mod, and imo it'd be nice if the mod who removed the topic from the discussion, no matter how valid his reasons, would just copy/paste the essentials into a new OP - but that might just be me being silly. :P

Well, that can be trouble, since I might misinterpret or unintentionally editorialize in the areas of what he is trying to say that didn't violate the rules. This gives the chance for the OP to clarify and restate in their own way, within the guidelines and rules.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:30 »

Hehe, fair game.

Lets hope someone's got the balls to reopen that thread in a more kindly manner then, it did look like an entertaining read.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:58 »

Better safe then sorry - if this would be chill I'll pop it up because Seri got me thinking as is:

Wish fulfillment RP Version 2.0

Role playing romantic relationships is one of the most interesting and complicated things in any role playing community. 

Lately however there it has seemed to me that I have observed, like the poster of the original thread, that there seems to be a strangely large amount of couples that are lesbian, cross-faction or both when compared to their counter-parts. (Where's the straight and gay couples?)

It made me pause and wonder - alot of female characters are played by men - does this go back to the joke from the girls locker room that men love watching two girls together?

The idea made me wonder as well what type of other relationships are in the RP community from what I see day to day? 

Seriphyn mentioned a few ideas that seem to be missing to his knowledge:
- Powerful Amarrian married couples, a Holder wife and husband who wield power over their domain as king and queen?
- Controversial Gallentean sweethearts, the focus of much fame and media attention. A war hero and his celebrity wife? An older, rich Gallentean businessman with a far too young model for a spouse?
- A Matari clan chief and priestess, being beacons of example and role models for the youth of their clan?
- A married Caldari couple with equal standing as the dastardly duo go from place to place striking deals and trades with various entities?

I personally know of a few "traditional" (I hate that word sometimes) couples if you will, male-female same race.  But they keep to themselves. 

This also brings up the other idea of is alot of romance role play us as the players just playing out our own hidden fantasies?  I know myself historically have been a very quiet person who unfortunately early in my young adult life was told, "If you get a man worked up enough that he wants it - it's cruel to tell them no." and therefore had always wanted to be able to be in a relationship where I felt very much in control. 

This naturally lead to finding great enjoyment in at least trying to play characters that relationship wise are very assertive when they decide they want someone.  It also lead me to making the mild OOC meta-gaming move of avoiding having Zu get "attached" to women - as I personally like my boys - even if Zu very well might on her own been bisexual. 

I also historically personally felt leery of letting my characters get involved with people where I know the player is single and looking or people that I didn't mesh with well on an OOC level - even if my character might of adored them.

Food for thought - add some salt folks.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 15:00 »

I think that's a good post, and one to which I would happily respond.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2010, 15:04 »

You should C&P that to post back into the OOC general section (or whatever it is called).
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2010, 15:17 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=262.0

Here's hoping I didn't do bad eh?  Enjoy.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:11 »

lol didn't even notice all these shenanigans going down...but yeah, new thread up, it's cool v0v

And what scagga said about not being offensive with that quote whatever. but I Think that's water under the bridge with the new thread up :3
Pages: [1] 2