Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Samuel Rackham Premium Caldari Ale is made with aroma hops from the widely recognized agricultural facilities of Haatomo III? For more, see here.

Author Topic: Wish fulfillment RP (and Electus Matari)  (Read 1409 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Wish fulfillment RP (and Electus Matari)
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:30 »

Okay, another thread by me, this time it is a general context, applying to the areas of relationship RP. And a short preamble that I have been a dirty perpretrator of this myself. You can also call me an elitist tard as well, if you want :P

I am noticing a sharp trend of IC relationships and couples that seem to serve nothing but OOG wish fulfillment. Out of the x amount of lesbian couples I counted, a minimal amount of them seemed to make any sense as to why these characters should be involved in the first place. I also attempted to count straight couples and failed miserably. This is where Electus Matari comes in, because they seem to have a) straight couples and no space lesbians and most importantly, b) the characters being involved with each other makes sense.

Yes, this is overly critical, and you wonder why this is a problem. I believe this is a problem because it taints EVE RP. The distinct lack of any public IC couples that are intra-faction and not cross-faction makes romance between capsuleers just seem...well, for lack of a better word, shit. Where are the...

- Powerful Amarrian married couples, a Holder wife and husband who wield power over their domain as king and queen?
- Controversial Gallentean sweethearts, the focus of much fame and media attention. A war hero and his celebrity wife? An older, rich Gallentean businessman with a far too young model for a spouse?
- A Matari clan chief and priestess, being beacons of example and role models for the youth of their clan?
- A married Caldari couple with equal standing as the dastardly duo go from place to place striking deals and trades with various entities?

You see what I'm getting at...

(I fucking rant too much)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Wish fulfillment RP (and Electus Matari)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:45 »

Um. So people RPing a relationship because it's fun for them or just helps advance their characters' personal stories isn't a good reason?

It sounds to me like you may be judging people's motivations. I mean, I don't have a reason I married my wife beyond love. We didn't have any larger goals for society or personal advancement, other than wanting to be together.

Can't characters feel the same way?  :ugh:

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:48 »

There's a few "regular" relationships that I have seen.  Some played by PC's, some just RP'd out by the players.

Saxon seems to be in a rather "normal" marriage from what I see.

Zuzanna is straight and dating an Intaki at the moment.

I'm also aware of a matari couple.

There's three for you.

Edit:  Interesting note - as this subject has come up before - the "normal" RP relationships that I have seen have had a male and female player behind the two charaters, or both charaters where played by the same person.

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 10:50 by Zuzanna Alondra »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:01 »

[admin]Feel free to repost the topic in a way that doesn't label other people's RP as 'wrong'. Remember that there are many ways and reasons for RPing, and you don't know what other people's are, even if they seem like something to you. I would advise phrasing it as an open, non-judgmental questions, for example: 'What sort of relationships do your characters get into and why?'[/admin]