Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Could we have a little more self-moderation please?  (Read 7432 times)

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal

I have to confess I'm getting a little bit tired of seeing the same people swearing and shouting and stamping their feet on these forums and getting continually moderated (posts sent to the catacombs) and just going back and doing the same thing again and again and again.

This stuff is a waste of moderator time and must be really frustrating to the admins here.

Could we all just excercise a little more control over tempers and learn not to post while angry?

Please.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Could we have a little more self-moderation please?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:05 »

Hear hear!

*raises glass of spiced wine*

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:06 »

It would indeed be nice if folks would restrain themselves. We don't like having to move posts, and we really don't like having to suspend repeat offenders.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:45 »

If you have specific 'repeat offenders' in mind, make a list of them and make it a public request or private warnings.
This generalized 'we', 'you' and 'them' passive-aggressive crap is pointless.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:49 »

Oh, we do send out private warnings. Public warnings usually should be covered by Catacombs stuff.

But it doesn't hurt to get a little reminder that, yes, even when you make good points, they should be made politely.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2011, 09:54 »

The problem there comes with interpretation. There's a lot of over-reaction going on from some moderators, and a lot of under-reaction to other things. Asking for more self-moderation is mostly pointless when you never know what gets a moderator's panties in a twist all of a sudden, especially when other posts of similar nature was never reacted to.

Asking for self-moderation? Sure... Will it happen? Doubt it. Not as long as moderation is as inconsequent as here.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:03 »

Self-moderation can be challenging at times.  :o

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:36 »

The problem there comes with interpretation. There's a lot of over-reaction going on from some moderators, and a lot of under-reaction to other things. Asking for more self-moderation is mostly pointless when you never know what gets a moderator's panties in a twist all of a sudden, especially when other posts of similar nature was never reacted to.

Asking for self-moderation? Sure... Will it happen? Doubt it. Not as long as moderation is as inconsequent as here.

See this? Prime example, Mizhara.

Your tone in this is very antagonistic. You're expressing yourself with language that is likely to be taken personally. Such as "panties in a twist" and your statement regarding the pointlessness of this "passive-aggressive crap."

It is typically considered proper procedure (both in forum moderation and in businesses) to discipline privately and praise publicly. The only time someone should be called out in public is when they have continued to act out despite several private warnings.

While you might have a valid point regarding how to help improve moderation, the tone you're using to express your point isn't constructive, it's flippant and dismissive.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:38 »

See this? Prime example, Mizhara.

Your tone in this is very antagonistic. You're expressing yourself with language that is likely to be taken personally. Such as "panties in a twist" and your statement regarding the pointlessness of this "passive-aggressive crap."

It is typically considered proper procedure (both in forum moderation and in businesses) to discipline privately and praise publicly. The only time someone should be called out in public is when they have continued to act out despite several private warnings.

While you might have a valid point regarding how to help improve moderation, the tone you're using to express your point isn't constructive, it's flippant and dismissive.

The problem with your statement, Raze, is that it'll sound even worse to Miz' as it does to me, and even I'd not fall short to call it patronizing.

Edit:Opps, forum ate my second paragraph!

And thats what it all boils down to, namely that communication with anonymous people on the internet through text is terrible at conveying emotions and subtitles - thus the need for a dedicated moderator team such as on this forum  ;)

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:39 »

Perhaps it is patronizing.

I don't really see a better for me to express the point, though my intention in the post isn't to make Mizhara angry or otherwise attack them. I was simply trying to point out that the diction used in a post will often play a part in how it's perceived by others.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:46 »

Perhaps it is patronizing.

I don't really see a better for me to express the point, though my intention in the post isn't to make Mizhara angry or otherwise attack them. I was simply trying to point out that the diction used in a post will often play a part in how it's perceived by others.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly. In an ideal world we would do just that - but sadly this world isn't ideal and we'll have to suffer each others (and our owns) failings.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2011, 11:19 »

If you have specific 'repeat offenders' in mind, make a list of them and make it a public request or private warnings.
This generalized 'we', 'you' and 'them' passive-aggressive crap is pointless.

Maybe, but eventually you just have to take a look in the catacombs and make a count for yourself, I think.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2011, 13:02 »

I just had a look in the catacombs. It'd be nice if the moderation was actually for something I'd done.

I've read through those two posts repeatedly, and found no instance of me saying anyone was doinitrong. When there's multiple interpretations of factions, there'll always be different ways people perceive various entities, each as valid as the other. How is it saying 'urdoinitrong' when you're just saying "From where I'm standing, it doesn't look like an Amarrian corp.". It's a valid freakin' opinion, and as long as I'm not telling KotMC to change or 'doitrite', I'm damn well entitled to said opinion.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2011, 13:04 »

I am not a moderator, but I think the following line might be what triggered the action:

Quote from: Mizhara
As for "Die slaver..." there's just not enough of it. Everyone and their cat seem to be liberal hugglefuckers these days, looking for every conceivable excuse not to be hostile to their enemies.

That's my guess anyways, not sure.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2011, 13:06 »

Unless someone think I'm right, I don't see why anyone would take it as 'urdoinitrong'.

Pages: [1] 2 3