Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That many tattoos in EVE are nano-tattoos created with microchips implanted in the skin, programmed to react to the wearer's emotional state? Read more here.

Author Topic: [Character] Ruby Amatucci  (Read 4424 times)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
[Character] Ruby Amatucci
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:03 »

Because...
a) ...a number of people here are already in the know...
b) ...doing double accounts on this forum would likely be viewed as social engineering by some of those people and be a bitch to juggle anyway...
and c) ...keeping this a sekrit makes me feel like I can't "safely" contribute to several debates and topics as fully as I'd like to...
...I'm just going to confess publicly (to those who might care) that Ruby Amatucci is my character.

With that out of the way:

Name: Ruby Amatucci.
Ethnicity: Ni-Kunni (though genetically and cybernetically modified).
National Origin: Esoterian expatriate, Sansha's Nation.
Height: 170 cm.
Weight: 70 kg.
Hair: Artificial with a metallic sheen, overall color is usually black, but can be changed at will.
Eyes: Artificial with color and even lighting effects activated at will; can be extended up to 50 cm on telescopic, somewhat prehensile stalks.

Ruby grew up deep under the earth, in the underground shelters below the shattered ruins of Skyward City, formerly a great metropolis on a planet someplace in Esoteria, built during the glory days of Sansha's Nation. Like the rest of her Community (the capitalization is intentional), numbering a few thousand people, her ancestors were members of the scientific and cultural (and to a smaller degree, professional) elite of Skyward City at the time of the war against Sansha's Nation. The Community (even in exile) is led by a mysterious person who Ruby only refers to as her uncle.

Although growing up in a highly physically (and in many ways socially) enclosed environment, Ruby also had access to halls upon halls of cultural achievements in the form of art, information and technology deemed so important to save from the ravages of war that storage space for it took precedence over installing life support systems for a greater number of people. This special situation allowed for high levels of education throughout the small community, as well as countless hours spent on escapism fed by the literature, music, holovids and games of a bygone era.

The Community retained a great amount of medical knowledge and equipment from pre-war times, and continued to make some progress even given their limited human resources. Augmentations both cybernetic and purely biological were not only commonplace and expected, but evolved into actual rituals of childhood, youth and adulthood, with children looking forward to the day they would get old enough to receive such-and-such "upgrades". Ruby herself possesses many such augmentations, some of them purely practical, but many of them either partly or completely ornamental.

The Community in latter times was not completely isolated, however. Scientists and engineers, working from old, preserved blueprints, managed to build a crude aerospace shuttle from salvaged material. They then used this shuttle both as a means to increase their salvaging radius around the ruined surface city, and to trade with local capsuleer warlords for supplies.

While this trade brought in sorely needed supplies, it was facilitated by the bargaining away of blueprint copies of advanced Sansha technology. Ruby herself is not very forthcoming on the exact details, but it's apparent that this deal was discovered by agents of the Nation proper (or a local splinter group thereof) and that the bargaining away of potential military secrets was not well received by them at all.

Whatever the exact details were, the community needed to flee their old home altogether, taking with them most of their assets and buying passage on a capsuleer ship out of Sansha's Nation and into the "enemy territory" of central space. Once there, the question arose how and where the community would now situate and sustain itself.

The idea was soon put forward that if someone among their number had the ability to survive capsuleer training, that would effectively solve most of their economic, political and security concerns. It was after the following preliminary testing that Ruby was singled out and elevated to a position of prominence inside the Community. The collective resources of the Community were still great enough to buy her way into the Imperial Academy without too many uncomfortable questions being raised.

After finishing her capsuleer training, Ruby has effectively become the breadwinner for the entire Community, spending a considerable portion of her earnings on its upkeep. She still submits to the leadership of her uncle, but as breadwinner she has power of her own as well. The idea of starting an orphanage was her own, though admittedly it wasn't a hard sell to her uncle and the remainder of her Community.

Since then, they've established friendly relations with other capsuleer groups connected to the Nation, though the question of whether and when they'll be able to return home is still an open one.

Personality-wise, Ruby is quite whimsical by most people's standards, almost child-like in her thought patterns - though she does have the ability to pull herself together when needed, and her strong feelings of communal obligation help her stay at least marginally focused even when her duties get boring. She's outgoing and friendly, as well as a hopeless romantic, although she seems to take a much greater interest in involving herself in (and trying to help along) the romantic affairs of others, rather than seeking out a similar attachment of her own.

Despite her current status as an expatriate, Ruby is quite proud of her origins, and will not hesitate to defend Sansha's Nation and its historical leader in any argument. She views the war as being entirely the fault of the other empires. Furthermore she displays a distinct streak of local patriotism on Esoteria's behalf, and will often talk slightly disdainfully about "Stainers", who she evidently views as less sophisticated and educated than Esoterians. Whether or not this perception is true or false, it's certainly based on prejudice, as Ruby hasn't met nearly enough confirmed "Stainers" or read enough statistics to form a truly informed opinion.

Ruby's stance on True Slaves (or Auxiliary Citizens, as they've always been called in her Community) is simple: They are not "real people", they never had the capacity to become real people, and viewing them as real people (present or past) is just as silly as having those same sentiments about drones.

Edit: Updated with awesome image.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2010, 17:21 by Natalcya Katla »
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: [Character] Ruby Amatucci
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:16 »

Ummm, please don't take this the wrong way, but is Ruby supposed to be creepy?

I've only encountered her once IC, and my character was quite freaked out by her. I can't remember what did it exactly, but there was this aura of crazy person about her.

Of course, since I never actually talked to her it's entirely possible that I've been misinterpreting the whole situation.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:40 »

Rrrruuuubbbyyyyyyyy

<3

This certainly clears up some pondering I had done when Ruby kept mentioning her uncle.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:44 »

Ummm, please don't take this the wrong way, but is Ruby supposed to be creepy?

I've only encountered her once IC, and my character was quite freaked out by her. I can't remember what did it exactly, but there was this aura of crazy person about her.

Of course, since I never actually talked to her it's entirely possible that I've been misinterpreting the whole situation.

If you/your character had that reaction, that means I was roleplaying her exactly right.

Thank you.  :D
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:45 »

And <3 Ghost. ^_^
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:50 »

If you/your character had that reaction, that means I was roleplaying her exactly right.

Thank you.  :D

You're welcome :D

I sometimes feel my characters are too often the straight-guy who gets to be confused and freaked by all the strangeness around him...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 14:51 »

Rrrruuuubbbyyyyyyyy

<3

This certainly clears up some pondering I had done when Ruby kept mentioning her uncle.

...Ghost, I just have to say that for some reason I can't stop watching that GIF...  :s
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 16:35 »

Personally, I feel that the scariest and loveliest part of Ruby is that she's honestly not a bad person. She constantly puts the needs of others before her own, and almost never acts in a cruel or hostile manner (though she'll act protectively if she perceives people or things she cares for as being threatened). She is, however, off in her head (the reasons for which I'm happy to keep an open question), and the things she sees as being in other people's best interest aren't necessarily perceived that way by other people.

She is a nice person, though. She sincerely wants her friends to be safe and happy and friendly and healthy forever and ever and ever. ^_^
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2010, 07:02 »

...I don't see anything wrong with her. . . >.>

Also: Ghost. That is epic.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:53 »

I liek ruby. <3

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:14 »

Speaking of creepy.....had a  few contracts up with corpses to Ruby that have expired. Send me an mail if still interested.

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:46 »

Speaking of creepy.....had a  few contracts up with corpses to Ruby that have expired. Send me an mail if still interested.

Oh, right. Sorry about not noticing, I'm only on sporadically.  :)

Anyway, after several months of no contributions, suddenly there was a torrent of corpses coming in from people (with one single person among them supplying me with 400 corpses, which was the originally asked-for amount), so Ruby has all the corpses she needs, now. Thank you kindly for the offer, though.

Gonna have to make an announcement about the results, soon.  :D
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2010, 13:36 »

Confirming Ruby is FUCKING AWESOME.

Confirming Ruby's player is a Scandinavian's Scandinavian.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2010, 17:24 »

Ruby, now with 100% more sugar-high.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2010, 19:04 »

Ruby, now with 100% more sugar mustard-high.

Fix'd.

Also, confirming Ruby is awesome. The scene of Ruby repeatedly extending her eyestalks to amuse Camille comes to mind.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.