Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Medals  (Read 4114 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Medals
« on: 23 May 2011, 21:58 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Medals

Medals are a sometimes overlooked part of a corp and its character.  Unfortunately, they still can't be awarded to people outside of your own corp.  So, what do you use medals for within your corporation?  I've thought that perhaps there is room for 'partnerships' of corporations to come together around the idea of awarding a particular medal to their members for RP sake, much like several corporations in an alliance might make identical copies of the same medal to create an award that could be given alliance-wide.  What do you think?

I'm also curious what interesting and specifically IC awards you've come up with for use in your own corps.  Put them on display!  Let us know how you show appreciation for your members' great achievements.  For example, FEDRO recently commissioned the following (as yet not awarded to anyone) medal:

NUYIN PRIZE

Awarded for innovative achievement in science or technology leading to pioneering breakthroughs for the benefit of humanity.

The reverse is inscribed: SCIENTIA VINCERE TENEBRAS

The Nuyin (meaning "wizards" in the Ji language) were the royal scientists of the ancient Jin-Mei Sang-Do courts.  In their time they were responsible for great feats of engineering and renowned for finding novel solutions to seemingly unsolvable problems.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Re: Medals
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2011, 22:06 »

Re-Aw has a number of IC decorations, including:

The Wayrest Medal: Awarded for extreme sexiness in the line of duty

The Dodgy Medal of Honour: For dubious and unspecified services

The Evanda Char Cross: For exceptional sassiness and incomparable style

And of course:

Rear of the Year 113: For proving Re-Aw has both sass and ass.

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2011, 12:59 »

hahah those are nice "medals"

Strix had a number of medals for meritorius service in the line of duty (PvP) and dedicated service in logistics (PvE+industry)

I think it's mostly to recognize good members fo the corp and give something that is not ISK nor items.....more of a simbolic present.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2011, 13:28 »

In KotMC we have several ones :

- The medals of the foundators, given to the members that were here at the foundation and were still here something like 9 months after when the decoration was issued.
- The classic medals for 1000 kills, 2000 kills, etc. Does not mean a lot of things because KBs do not, but well, still gratifying for members taking part in militia fleets...... (i would prefer in plexing but well).
- Maybe some other stuff I can't remember well.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2011, 15:00 »

The ILF has a number of medals we award to recognize pilots for their service. We give out a few each month and for a lot of pilots, they are pretty special. A few, however, have been rather meh about it.

I've seen some corps with some rather creative ones, and some I can't imagine why the pilot agreed to display the medal publicly.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2011, 16:49 »

In addition to the "generic" (x number of kills, 1 year in a corp, etc) I also have 2 more... unusual ones from a previous corp: The "deep pockets" medal, from the time our CEO lost a Jump Freighter and everyone online collectively coughed up enough ISK to buy him another until he could grind it back, and the "space balls" medal, for the time we flew a bunch of PVE boats into hostile 0.0 for giggles (and lived).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2011, 13:09 »

Thus far we create medals based on particularly note worthy occurrences, and if applicable, award them when others repeat it. Also, I have been thoroughly reprimanded for the typos I've made.

No one told me you couldn't edit their descriptions after they've been made :L

Two notable ones we have right now

I'm hoping to avoid the generic ones entirely (number of kills, employment length, etc), since I'm of the mindset each medal created should be for out of the ordinary achievements.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2011, 03:59 »

Too bad we can't reward people with implants too. :L

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2011, 07:01 »

I think you can petition for spelling/grammar errors in descriptions/names, Ghost. I've petitioned some spelling errors in the past, and the descriptions were altered.
\o/

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2011, 21:32 »

We have dozens, but some of the better ones:

Magellan Award:  Awarded for excellence in interstellar navigation.

Created for Sakura when he was leading a gang and running from Proviblob and ran us straight into a dead end without realizing it.  We had to log the fleet off because there were 60 hostiles after the 8 of us and we didn't really want to bounce safespots for 8 hours until they all got bored.  Has been given out 6 more times since (1 of those to Sakura...again). 

Absolutely Fabulous:  Awarded for showing conspicuous amounts of taste, unwanted affection towards the same sex and general elitism. 

Speaks for itself tbh.  One was given to Vendrin for doing a body shot off of Misan at fanfest, for instance.

Smooth Operator:  What is it that draws girls to this suave gentleman?  Is it the self-assured swagger, or perhaps that laconic brassiness?  Whatever it is, ladies, don't be careless with your heart.

Nem has one of these, and Vendrin earned one for "the heroic conquest of an Icelandic viking-chick at fanfest, impaling her with a heavy meat missile of the Vendrin variety."

Keep Him Alive I'm Almost There:  The bearer of this award has distinguished himself with an unrelenting drive to leave his name on every killmail human eyes will read.  The profound joy that comes from watching his position rise on a killboard's top list is a pleasure matched only by the sight of bitter abuse frothing in vain from his victim's lips.

Baggio:  Awarded for excellence in snatching defeat from the welcoming arms of victory, against all odds.

Given to Celedris for costing the SF AT5 team placement out of the group stages.  TL;DR, match was 6 am his time, we'd been up since two hours before that to prepare.  He was in an ewar frig.  We had the match well in hand, but he literally fell asleep at the wheel and his ewar frigate drifted into drone control range of the opposition team and he died.  In AT5, winning without a loss meant an extra 25 points on top of the normal 100--we failed to qualify past the group stages by 16 points as I recall. 

I Fought the Law and the Law Won:  Awarded for either a complete lack of situational awareness, or casual disregard for the capabilities of local law enforcement.  The bearer of this medal might be down one ship, but at least they got something shiny out of it.

I may have earned this one by finding myself in highsec with a GCC while in a very expensively fit T3 ship.  Twice.  This is also the most commonly given award, by far.  Like, more than twice as many as the next most common.

The Eeyore:  Awarded for showing an outstanding lack of enthusiasm, utter disregard for having anything constructive to say and generally being poopy pants.

Bullet Magnet:  Nothing says "shoot me, not my fleet" quite like antimatter charges at point-blank range.

Given out a handful of times to people who've charged into fights with no hope of survival in ships that no one in their right minds would field in that situation.

Victim of Vengeance:  Awarded to those unfortunate enough to get caught in presumably safe high security space with their proverbial pants around their ankles by someone with kill rights.

Silver-Tongued Slanderer:  One who has demonstrated exemplary effort in riling up an opponent and striking blows to their morale with the masterful use of words. 

Among others, awarded to Namamai for "coming up with the unused but epic line 'I was going to recommend better use of punctuation, but I can see you're already having issues with your period.'"

Elitist Bastard:  We know best.

The Steamroller:  Only those with the most massive, well developed jaw muscles can strive toward snatching up this bauble.  Given to those with the gift of gab, most of its recipients have been voted "most likely to wear out their push to talk button."

Freighter Whisperer:  Patience, dedication, and an astounding amount of luck in getting capital pilots to undock.

Believe this one was created when Atandros spent nearly an entire day watching a war target in a JF that was obviously desperate to move the thing and eventually after hours of stalking, the prey felt comfortable enough to give it a go--only to be intercepted in the next system.

Pith Decoration:  The bearer of this award eschews the baroque and circuitous in favor of trim brevity.  "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outta gum." - Unknown warrior-philosopher from an age long forgotten.

Necrophiliac:  Awarded to any member who has displayed a consistent fetish for frozen corpses and is known not only to hold gangs while he collects them but to eschew all other loot in favor of his precious meat popsicles.

The Steel Seedbearer:  Awarded to those pilots who bolt into chaos to secure victory, reacting to impossible odds with the right attitude of healthy contempt.

Given only once, to Namamai for managing to hold down a Nyx for almost two full minutes by himself in a Flycatcher while we all reshipped into dictors/hics/batfoaned for help.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2011, 06:07 »

Because EL-G are lolRPers and station-spinners, the current kill medal award thresholds are measly 10, 25 and 50, for Bronze, Silver and Gold Eagles. Then Shaalira turned up and b0rked it all with her 2000+ kills or whatever. Though on a serious note, since we are/were mostly solo or small gang operators initially, getting kills was initially quite a hard thing to do. Do wish you could delete and redo medals. Perhaps revising Bronze/Silver/Gold for 10/25/50 solo kills might be better.

Standing medals is a good idea, seeing that now we can't see standings anymore. Perhaps...

Defender of the Federation - 5.00 Gallente faction standing
Guardian of the Federation - 7.50 Gallente faction standing
Hero of the Federation - 9.00 Gallente faction standing
Champion of the Federation - 10.00 Gallente faction standing lololol

Then other things like 9.00 standings with a governmental branch, Navy, FIO, or corporation (Corporate Service Award?)

Yes. Need to get back into game to do these!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2011, 23:22 »

Bacc, I love your medals!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 00:00 »

Bacc, I love your medals!

This.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2011, 14:32 »

See my Sig - oh, and the Kourmonen campaign medal handed out by Yonis.  :bear:

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2011, 16:00 »

See my Sig - oh, and the Kourmonen campaign medal handed out by Yonis.  :bear:

We should have a Kourm Medal bearer fleet setup on the anniversary those medals were handed out on. 26 Amarr Navy vessels roll out for pure destruction of all infidels and heathens.
Pages: [1] 2