Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the cocktail "Wild Rose" is created by Vincent Pryce and it is named after Ciarente Roth?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Discussing Staff and other members.  (Read 6114 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Discussing Staff and other members.
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2011, 03:37 »

For the reasons others are mentioning here, and in my own post right here, I'm officially asking the Backstage administration to review Louella's position as a moderator, as I feel it's not conducive to a positive environment or the high standards of moderation Backstage needs.

Sounds like a public call for a vote of non confidence to me. How do you expect the moderation team to answer to this ? It can appeal to lynching and will only put the targeted moderator on the defensive.

It is also in my opinion something that can get very insane pretty quickly as not everyone shares this opinion (at least not me, I am fully behind the moderation team on this one, for what it is worth).

Which makes me think that even if it was not meant to be a troll, it looks like a troll to my eyes in its results.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2011, 16:44 »

If there any context to all this ?

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2011, 18:02 »

Yes, see this thread.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2011, 18:07 »

Last time a group of users didn't like how a forum was moderated they formed backstage, which despite the idea that the two forums would continue to operate brought conversation on the other forum to a relative trickle.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2011, 18:51 »

And here I thought we were all driven off by a specific pair of users.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2011, 19:54 »

Let me throw out this question, then. I'd like your answers to be civil and courteous in their presentation, but of course I'm asking a difficult question.

Does my presence on the Backstage staff inhibit the community here? Mizhara clearly feels that way, and while I politely disagree, I respect his viewpoint. But does a consensus exist on that point?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2011, 20:13 »

Does my presence on the Backstage staff inhibit the community here?

No.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2011, 20:28 »

You can't please everyone. There's always gonna be a couple people who'll never like anything you do.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2011, 20:42 »

Those users are here.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2011, 23:17 »

I don't believe that backstage has been "ruined" or "inhibited" by any specific users, mods, or rules we have. People will be people, people will have flaws, and at times we have to sit down and discuss the fact we are different and try to come to a middle point rather than aggressively taking action against the other party.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2011, 23:25 »

I don't believe that backstage has been "ruined" or "inhibited" by any specific users, mods, or rules we have. People will be people, people will have flaws, and at times we have to sit down and discuss the fact we are different and try to come to a middle point rather than aggressively taking action against the other party.
I like this guy.  :D

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2011, 03:13 »

Does my presence on the Backstage staff inhibit the community here?

No, at the contrary even.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2011, 03:55 »

Those users are here.

Which is an interesting point in the context of the thread actually. Much was said about the terrible status of chatsubo but the reality was the moderation climate there had been manipulated over many years by many users seeking to win their arguments through petition-war and exploiting the admins and such. Lots of people accused the administration there of bias and ultimately the only "win" remaining was to ditch the forum and restart over with an entirely new and tighter moderation system.

Backstage is working under that system. Here it is pretty much impossible to be an ass at people and get away with it (and for all the mud thrown about the evil people around at the chatsubo crash the reality was everyone liked to throw mud there.) But since nobody is allowed to throw any mud around here now, surprise surprise and voilĂ ! there are no evil people any more!

Sure. The resolution at backstage involves more heavy handed moderation that ends up annoying some sensitive people (who feel they should never be moderated) but its the price paid for civility.

For my part I've been pleasantly surprised just how even-handed Backstage moderation has been and how neutral in the main the mods and admins are.

End of the day you see the rules and aspirations for the forum when you sign up. Its simply a choice of agreeing to abide by them or not really.

And for what its worth I haven't yet seen *any* moderator truly "inhibiting" the community here. They are simply doing what the community asked them to do at the founding.

What I'd suggest is that people should be less sensitive about getting moderated. It isn't a slur and terrible condemnation of your character - its a sign you are human and the moderation culture you supported is even-handed and universally applied.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 03:59 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2011, 04:02 »

Let me throw out this question, then. I'd like your answers to be civil and courteous in their presentation, but of course I'm asking a difficult question.

Does my presence on the Backstage staff inhibit the community here? Mizhara clearly feels that way, and while I politely disagree, I respect his viewpoint. But does a consensus exist on that point?

No, you aren't perfect but then nobody is. Miz ain't perfect either.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2011, 04:40 »

no, not in the least bit.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4