Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Congrats to 1 year of Backstage!  (Read 2918 times)

Akikio L

• Wetgraver
    • Akikio's Plog
Congrats to 1 year of Backstage!
« on: 16 Apr 2011, 15:22 »

...also +1  :P

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Congrats to 1 year of Backstage!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2011, 15:39 »

+1!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2011, 17:25 »

whoo, hopefully we're all here at this same time next year.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2011, 19:57 »

Hurray!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2011, 20:10 »

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2011, 22:32 »

Ah yes, celebrating the inevitable entropy and demise of a community. How could it conceivably be demonstrated better than to simply say...

+1

Let's end this place people! +1 for errybody!

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2011, 22:47 »

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2011, 01:14 »

Am I doing this right?

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2011, 05:15 »

Close enough  :lol:

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2011, 05:35 »

If you would, allow me to provide a bit of perspective.

The RP community as a whole was a decrepit pit of entropy before Backstage came along. It proposed an environment of discourse that ran COMPLETELY COUNTER to the freedoms that most of us had come to expect of the community. Before this, we were FREE to tear each other's throats out in any way possible. Being EVE players, we were all very adept at finding new ways of accomplishing this.

However, Backstage attempted to FORCIBLY PURGE the intense grudges that the community harbored over so many years.

Gutsy as fuck.

Necessary as HELL.

I hope that those who remember things as they were understand that the drastic measures proposed by those who started this site literally SAVED the RP community as we know it. It may sound overdramatic, but you must understand that, at the time, RP in EVE was an incredibly fractured and deeply resentful bunch of players, with huge vested interests and OOC factionalism ever-present (I say this as an admitted source of some of the old systematic problems that the site sought to correct).

Looking at things over the long term, I can't imagine a community that exists in the relative harmony we have now without the hard work that went into the endeavor called BACKSTAGE.

The depths of my personal gratitude to the folks who put this place together can not be over-expressed.

I honestly believe that any solidarity that the RP community of EVE has (which is healthier than possibly ever before) is almost solely the credit of BACKSTAGE and it's staff.

I salute you all. You had the balls to tell all of us (including me) to STFU AND RP.

I thank you for this.

Long Live the Inspiracy.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 07:44 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2011, 07:19 »

Hmm, so we're being srsfaes here? In that case I'll have to echo Lawd Gaelyn here. On an OoC level, the community was fairly fucked back then. Especially out of game. In-Game you had some cliques and different people hanging in different OoC channels with the OOC channel being the largest (and only) somewhat neutral ground.

Chatsubo was an acid bath with acid-breathing sharks with saltshakers for eyes swimming around in it, and there were enough grudges and hatreds around there (even though I'm sure 99% of those involved will claim never having thought about anything but unicorns and sunshine about their 'opponents') that it was an almost insurmountable obstacle for newbies in the community to overcome. The grudges and hatreds inevitably led to claims of moderator and administrator bias, along with several accusations that it was simply Star Fraction's Public Forums for all intents and purposes. The situation was untenable as it was... fortunately, some special people came along and performed the greatest feat I have seen in the Eve RP community.

Havohej, Silver, Scagga and some others joined together their resources, skills and ideas and managed to form what is now a staple of the RP community. Newbie friendly, oldie tolerant and even a place where bittervet elitists can hang with only a minimum of dunks into the catacombs. Hell, I had a front-row seat to the creation of this place and enjoyed the process immensely.

If Scagga would be amenable, it would be amusing to see some of the gnarlier threads from the creation forum be imported into this one for posterity. Some of them are definitely worth the read. Oh, and I'm sure I've thanked Scagga for hosting the brainstorming forum before, but I want to do so again. Thank you Scagga.

So, how did Backstage fare? Amazingly well. I knew it was going to be at least a moderate success. I had no idea what an amazing success it would turn out to be. At a time when the RPers of Eve were happily tearing each other's throats out through forums and channels, it introduced a tightly controlled and moderated place where you could still discuss almost anything.

The critics had various valid (and some ridiculous) concerns. Wouldn't this create a further schism of the RP community? Wouldn't this project fall flat on it's face when players couldn't piss all over each other with little to no provocation? There were as many concerns as there were critics and they weren't exactly few and far between. Hell, there were mentions of 'Police State', 'Censorship of those not involved in the 'blocs' and 'cliques' that created this place.' and so on. Hell, some even publicly stated they 'knew' they'd be banned by default.

... guess we showed them, huh? Well, those with the vision and guts to keep pushing this project did.

Within a week, there were such huge repositories of information about both Eve and RP here that it rivaled what had been set up on other community sites over the span of years. The number of users skyrocketed every single day, and within just a short time we had newbies to the community show up and staying.

I've had my share of complaints about Backstage. There's a hundred little things I could nag about... but the fact remains... This place is infinitely better than the alternatives we've had over the years.

To those who made this possible. Those who took the responsibility, the work, the money and time... and sacrificed it freely to make this happen. You have my endless gratitude. Most notably:

Havohej
Silver Night
Scagga

There's been many more contributors over the year this has been going on, but without those three... this place would never have seen the light of day. I'll still be bitching at you all on a variety of subjects, but never doubt that you have my respect and gratitude for what you've achieved.

Now for fuck's sake get on with creating the IC sections.

Lazy ass slackers.

[mod=Misan]Good post and all, but snipped the jab at our moderation team. If you have issues with any decisions you are welcome to discuss them in Moderation Discussion or bring them privately to one of us if you prefer.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 11:08 by Misan »

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2011, 09:49 »

If you would, allow me to provide a bit of perspective.

The RP community as a whole was a decrepit pit of entropy before Backstage came along. It proposed an environment of discourse that ran COMPLETELY COUNTER to the freedoms that most of us had come to expect of the community. Before this, we were FREE to tear each other's throats out in any way possible. Being EVE players, we were all very adept at finding new ways of accomplishing this.

However, Backstage attempted to FORCIBLY PURGE the intense grudges that the community harbored over so many years.

Gutsy as fuck.

Necessary as HELL.

I hope that those who remember things as they were understand that the drastic measures proposed by those who started this site literally SAVED the RP community as we know it. It may sound overdramatic, but you must understand that, at the time, RP in EVE was an incredibly fractured and deeply resentful bunch of players, with huge vested interests and OOC factionalism ever-present (I say this as an admitted source of some of the old systematic problems that the site sought to correct).

Looking at things over the long term, I can't imagine a community that exists in the relative harmony we have now without the hard work that went into the endeavor called BACKSTAGE.

The depths of my personal gratitude to the folks who put this place together can not be over-expressed.

I honestly believe that any solidarity that the RP community of EVE has (which is healthier than possibly ever before) is almost solely the credit of BACKSTAGE and it's staff.

I salute you all. You had the balls to tell all of us (including me) to STFU AND RP.

I thank you for this.

Long Live the Inspiracy.

That. All of it. He said it better than I could have anyway.

:D

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2011, 13:53 »

+1

I am very happy that those of you who took a risk to start this forum did so and that I've been able to be a part of what resulted.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2011, 17:58 »

Yeah, it's been awesome.

Ashlar Maidstone

• Clonejack
  • OHAI!! Yes this is little ol' Me!!
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2011, 23:23 »

I too, want to congratulate this forum for its first year on the Inet!! Even tho I haven't been a member long I feel a closeness of community among others with like interests of spaceships and role play.

Certainly I can tell a difference here compared to the IGS forum and here its more relaxed, and surprising less stressful, don't ask me I don't know how it came about that way but it did.

Again Congratulations Backstage!! 8)

+1!!!
Pages: [1] 2