Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider recruits are trained in close-quarters combat before tactics and starship combat? (The Burning Life, p. 54)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Character stand-ins. Or, "EVE: The Motion Picture"  (Read 76673 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
Re: Character stand-ins. Or, "EVE: The Motion Picture"
« Reply #90 on: 26 Dec 2010, 23:49 »

I noticed most of you picked either top-tier hollywood super-idols, or some variant of homosexual/androgynous genderWTF to represent your movie personas. Why? Why didn't anyone pick a single average-looking commoner uggo bastard to play them? If I had anyone in mind to play Istvaan, it'd be Ciaran Hinds because he looks like a bitter miserable creature like I am in real life.

I don't mean this as an insult or anything, I genuinely want to get a feel for this forum.

edit: Jesus, upon further review it seems someone else in this thread picked Ciaran Hinds too. And now I feel like I can't come up with anything original anymore.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2010, 23:52 by hellgremlin »

Vikarion

« Reply #91 on: 27 Dec 2010, 01:13 »

I noticed most of you picked either top-tier hollywood super-idols, or some variant of homosexual/androgynous genderWTF to represent your movie personas. Why? Why didn't anyone pick a single average-looking commoner uggo bastard to play them? If I had anyone in mind to play Istvaan, it'd be Ciaran Hinds because he looks like a bitter miserable creature like I am in real life.

I don't mean this as an insult or anything, I genuinely want to get a feel for this forum.

Well, I don't want to get sued, so I only use pictures of people who, according to U.S. law, are considered "public" persons, and thus have little in terms of legal protection from other people posting pictures of them.

The truth is that I used my own appearance as the model for Vik when I first made him. It seemed easiest.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #92 on: 27 Dec 2010, 03:47 »

I noticed most of you picked either top-tier hollywood super-idols,
I think that's implicit in the idea of 'who would be cast to play your character'. Erin Brokovitch doesn't look like Julia Roberts, after all, nor does Temple Grandin look like Claire Danes.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #93 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:20 »

Yes, I've met girls who somewhat resembled what I have in mind for Casiella. But it'd be kinda weird if I was all, "hey can I take your photo to show Internet spaceship people what my Internet spaceship hacker pilot person looks like? come back, why are you screaming for the cops?"

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #94 on: 08 Jan 2011, 16:55 »

edit: Jesus, upon further review it seems someone else in this thread picked Ciaran Hinds too. And now I feel like I can't come up with anything original anymore.

I know it's not intellectually very appropriate in a nerd-gasm kind of manner, but I'm tempted to ask "why not?" in response.

I offered an A-list and B-list alternative basically because A) I thought it would be fun (the contrast would add to the information value of choices) and B) because I guessed someone would raise the issue (because, I'm guessing, there is an inherent dislike towards success and fame in nerd-circles which makes an A-list choice somewhat "wrong", which, no matter if any correct or wrong opposition to the subject is present here, these are). The a-listers are good alternatives because they're well known so we share a "language" to communicate in, so to speak. Besides these kinds of answers, I'm kinda stumped who we should be offering as alternatives that would actually be meaningful in any manner.

The "girl next door" is not a very interesting answer, is it?
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2011, 16:58 by GoGo Yubari »

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #95 on: 08 Jan 2011, 18:19 »

Also, eggers are (if they so desire) beautiful superstars. So nyah.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #96 on: 09 Jan 2011, 14:16 »

Yeah, I guess it is a matter of taste. I think that given the choice of looking like anyone out there, I'd still pick ugly old averages. I can't wait to try the char creator for this reason - I want to see if I can accurately represent a drug-addled crime lord grown bored with life.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #97 on: 09 Jan 2011, 14:25 »

Casiella is who she is -- that is, hawt cyberpunk chick. Yeah, a little bit of sublimation, I suppose. More than a little? Also probably true.

OTOH, my trade alt does not look great. He looks like a regular dude. Not markedly ugly, just average. Works for me.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #98 on: 09 Jan 2011, 15:48 »

For Axel Kurki: Tommi Korpela. I mean, the guy could likely pose in a "Tommi Korpela is Civire" poster.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #99 on: 09 Jan 2011, 22:07 »

Dossie Kielle, being Chinese needed a sexy Chinese actress/model, so I thought Huang Yi would be the best.
Mei Starkiller, as a sociopathic bitch would need an actress that can play that well so I think Jin Xing would be the best choice for her.
Failing that, Dossie played by Sigourney Weaver and Mei by Jesse Wallace.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2011, 05:11 by DosTuMai »
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #100 on: 09 Jan 2011, 22:14 »

You should remove the " in your URLs, as this uses a slightly different format than the official forums. :) And don't forget the colon...

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #101 on: 09 Jan 2011, 22:33 »

You should remove the " in your URLs, as this uses a slightly different format than the official forums. :) And don't forget the colon...
Meh, it works and that's the code I'm used to using. I'll remember that, though. Xiexie. ^_^
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #102 on: 10 Jan 2011, 01:02 »

One, I think one reason people use a lot of beautiful celebs rather than "common" people, beyond simple Marysue-ism is that celebs serve as a stand in for easily recognized people.  I could say "Gottii looks exactly like that ass at the gym who grunts too loud when doing squats" but that doesnt help anyone but me.  So, celebs serve as a nice shorthand.

So, for the longest time, I completely had no idea who would be a stand in for Gottii.  Freakishly huge due to Amarrian genetic manipulation, non-Caucasian, generally serious but somewhat goofy and self-depreciating to cover up his insecurities due to his size, and wears sunglasses.  I generally had drawn a blank this whole time.  

Until, it dawned on me.  Im kinda shocked and disappointed it took me this long to make the connection.

So, when casting Gottii, I would pick....The Rock.

http://www.celebritysentry.com/post/nintendo-world-report-review-rock-band-3-review/

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2011, 01:06 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #103 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:33 »

I'd pick Ziyi Zhang for Ko. But, Gottii's pick, Grace Park, already has experience with imaginary spaceships.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2011, 02:36 by Kohiko Sun »
Will work for pretty sig.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #104 on: 10 Jan 2011, 19:54 »

It'd have to be Jim Carrey for Caellach, not for looks or the big name aspect, but I really can't find anyone else who can be a daft enough muppet to do Cael justice.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15