Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!  (Read 16286 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!
« on: 02 Apr 2011, 11:04 »

LINK

The technology to download the consciousnesses of pilots into multiple clones, the Capsuleers, has finally delivered the dream of immortal soldiers. Train a soldier just once and then however many times he dies he will keep on getting more experienced, more battle toughened, as his brain is downloaded into a ready supply of cloned bodies. But no-one anticpated the effects of the multiple traumas, the multiple stresses of multiple lives and deaths on the battle field. War is hell. And now it can last forever for everyone. A fast-moving action-packed novel of interstellar war and high-tech combat, backed by massive cross promotion.

Can anyone tell me WTF "massive cross promotion" means? Anyway...

So, apparently the Amarr acquire the DUST soldier first, likely through the extensive knowledge of cybernetics or they may have acquired it from the Jove (I think most thought it would have been Gallente/Caldari at first, by virtue of how much they pile into high-tech arms research). Anyway, once the Amarr discover it, knowing how TonyG portrays the Federation, the Gallente government end up panicking slightly, and worried that their good little friends/pets/allies the Minmatar would be seriously under threat by this, as well as themselves, because Amarr religion is evil and so on. So Gallente acquire it next, probably, and hand the technology over to the Minmatar (or maybe the Minmatar get it singlehandedly because of the Elders). Then maybe the Caldari get the technology by purchasing it from the Amarr, or Tibus Heth starts to froth at the mouth and starts flailing around until he gets it somehow.

I dunno, that's my own hypothesis of how the story goes.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: EVE Templar One - Now on Amazon!
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2011, 13:35 »

Wild speculation? Bleh.

But yes, Gonzales already noted during the Live Dev Blog that the Amarr get this tech first.

Crucifire

« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2011, 14:00 »

Damn that is a really cool cover.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2011, 14:57 »

Eve is on its way to turning into the Commonwealth Saga....which was an awesome series so I have no problem with this happening.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2011, 15:29 »

But no-one anticpated the effects of the multiple traumas, the multiple stresses of multiple lives and deaths on the battle field. War is hell. And now it can last forever for everyone.

Assuming this is a more or less accurate description of the actual content, it gives me a bit of hope. I like the little people stories. (I suppose the fact that I've been to war myself might play a slight causal role as well.)
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2011, 21:21 »

Come on Tony!

Prove us all wrong!

Please!!!  ;)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2011, 22:13 »

Come on Tony!

Prove us all wrong!

Please!!!  ;)

I'd be sorta epic if everything Tony did up to this point was an epic troll and his next book is some sort of masterpiece....probably not though.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 02 Apr 2011, 22:24 »

Not necessarily a troll -- but I certainly do hope he's learned from the criticisms and suggestions following TEA.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2011, 10:33 »

Not necessarily a troll -- but I certainly do hope he's learned from the criticisms and suggestions following TEA.

Also, if this:

But no-one anticpated the effects of the multiple traumas, the multiple stresses of multiple lives and deaths on the battle field. War is hell. And now it can last forever for everyone.

is a more-or-less accurate representation of the thematic content, I have some degree of hope. I like little people stories. And the horrible things technology does to people. And I suppose my background may induce some morbid curiosity in how TonyG portrays people dealing with warfare. IN SPAAAAAAAACE. IN THE FUUUUUTURE.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Orestes

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2011, 10:42 »

A little booklet with a brief excerpt came with the fanfest gear this year. Someone can probably provide a scan.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2011, 10:56 »

EDIT: Man, now I feel like Silver. Can't post without violating the Guidel^H^H^H^H^H^HRules :P

DrizzCat

• Amarrian Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Bastet's Organization of Mining
« Reply #11 on: 04 Apr 2011, 11:07 »

Anyone know the release date on this?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:13 »

The link attached to the very first word in the OP says "29 Sep", so that's as good of a guess as any, I suppose. Gonzales finished the first draft a few weeks ago.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2011, 16:29 »

Can anyone tell me WTF "massive cross promotion" means? Anyway...

So, apparently the Amarr acquire the DUST soldier first, likely through the extensive knowledge of cybernetics or they may have acquired it from the Jove (I think most thought it would have been Gallente/Caldari at first, by virtue of how much they pile into high-tech arms research). Anyway, once the Amarr discover it, knowing how TonyG portrays the Federation, the Gallente government end up panicking slightly, and worried that their good little friends/pets/allies the Minmatar would be seriously under threat by this, as well as themselves, because Amarr religion is evil and so on. So Gallente acquire it next, probably, and hand the technology over to the Minmatar (or maybe the Minmatar get it singlehandedly because of the Elders). Then maybe the Caldari get the technology by purchasing it from the Amarr, or Tibus Heth starts to froth at the mouth and starts flailing around until he gets it somehow.

I dunno, that's my own hypothesis of how the story goes.

I like this executive summary, which fits with my observation that Amarrians have historically been the best at everything, and remain so it seems.  Do not forget that they're divinely inspired!

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2011, 14:32 »

I think I may write a review tonight.  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8